Are every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra selling for over MSRP???

On 4/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, waltchan said:

I'm experiencing a terrible situation where most (if not all) southern California Chevrolet and GMC dealers are required to sell every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra pickups for OVER MSRP. None of the salesman or manager is willing to budge on price. Some are as high as $5,000 dealer markup, regardless of trim. Trail-Boss or AT4 as high as $7,500 dealer markup. Buying at invoice price is totally dead-deal at this moment, and dealers ask me to leave the premise immediately. They all stated truck shortage or chip shortage, whatever the reasons. Pay at MSRP sticker price exact is a rare case-by-case basis only at this moment.

Is the inventory shortage really that bad nationwide?

What about other US states? Do you have this same issue? It's possible it may be a California only state problem, due to overpopulation, and it's not a problem with other US states at all. What about Arizona and Texas? Were you able to buy for invoice (or below) for 2021 models?

I was able to use GM supplier discount on mine last month which took it to right around or just above dealer invoice, not sure if they are required to take that or not. Honestly there are enough quirky issues with these trucks that you might as well wait for the new model and see what happens. Used ones should start popping up left and right then (albeit at not much cheaper than the cost of a new '22 most likely).

I’m in Ventura and I just bought a Silverado High Country from Paradise with employee pricing and the current incentives. No markups and no hassles at all. PM for the name of the salesman that helped me out if you’re interested. 

10 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Go to cars.com and click new trucks.. even with the ongoing shortage, I am still able to find good deals. We bought one from Quality Chevrolet in San Diego. I recommend them.

Quality Chevy has a whopping zero in stock. For sure anyone that can wait to buy should wait. However, you might be waiting a while if you are looking for a 4wd crew cab.

Edited by 2.7fanboy

4 hours ago, khays said:

I was able to use GM supplier discount on mine last month which took it to right around or just above dealer invoice, not sure if they are required to take that or not.

I just did the same last week.  I wasn’t really looking, but ended up trading my ‘18 LTZ Redline on a new RST Redline.  Used truck prices are crazy too, so I had a bunch of upside on the ‘18 from when I purchased it used last year.  

Reynolds in west Covina has a few and no markup it looks like....

One salesman there was pretty straight shooter out of all the schisters I went thru but he just didn't have the truck I wanted at the time so I didn't go thru whole process with him but seemed decent......Rudy Knobloch is the salesman there.....

Just the region you live in.  They charge more because they know they can get more.  Found this at local dealer.  GM incentives are less because they don't need to offer as much as inventory is low.  Local dealer who typically has around 50-75 trucks (GMC & Chevy) has only 7 Chevy and 1 GMC.  All low level trims except this one.  Grab a parachute and a plane ticket.

New 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box 4-Wheel Drive High Country

• MSRP $69,925
  • Keweenaw Price $63,434
  • Keweenaw Total Savings $6,491
  • VIN 1GCUYHEL7MZ228963
    Engine 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
    Transmission Automatic
    Trim High Country
    Color Cherry Red Tintcoat
    Destination Charge $1,695.00
    Installed Options 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine $2,495.00 Technology Package $1,870.00 Adaptive Ride Control $900.00 Wheel locks $75.00 High Country Deluxe $4,300.00 Cherry Red Tintcoat $495.00 Power-retractable assist steps $995.00
Edited by elcamino

Around here, if you can find one, the 1500's have the current GM incentive which is about $4k. Popular builds are hard to come by, and it's unlikely you'll negotiate more off than that. 

I just picked up one of the last 2020's which had been sitting on the lot for more than 5 months. Total incentive was almost $6k off MSRP. Not sure why it sat so long...it was PDI'd in december and only had 50 miles on it when I bought it. Not a dealer trade, either.

I was expecting 2nd stickers and maybe not finding the truck I wanted. Saw this one and bought it on the spot!

On 5/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, khays said:

I was able to use GM supplier discount on mine last month which took it to right around or just above dealer invoice, not sure if they are required to take that or not. Honestly there are enough quirky issues with these trucks that you might as well wait for the new model and see what happens. Used ones should start popping up left and right then (albeit at not much cheaper than the cost of a new '22 most likely).

Which dealer? So, I can call. Thanks.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:06 PM, Dunn said:

Reynolds in west Covina has a few and no markup it looks like....

One salesman there was pretty straight shooter out of all the schisters I went thru but he just didn't have the truck I wanted at the time so I didn't go thru whole process with him but seemed decent......Rudy Knobloch is the salesman there.....

Perfect... When you saw one Sierra truck in-stock, did you see any window sticker showing dealer accessories, dealer markups, and etc.? Thanks.

we just emailed selling price or OTD price.....I never actually go to the dealership, last 3 trucks i bought all had addendums but i didnt pay and all were done online,  but now may be different.....Rudy gave me a good sell price right off the bat twice......right now may different but i did see their website and they had one for 7k off msrp with no markups nd they had like 19 sierra 1500s......you just have to email them and see what they say..........there are some deals i am sure.....you have to be aggressive and if your too low they stop communication, lol.......ball is in their court right now so

negotiating is more about you and how you handle it.....just hit them up and see what they say

Edited by Dunn

On 5/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, GullLakeMi said:

Wow!  I thought I did good.  I bought for $48k in '16 and sold for $40.8k.  Only losing $4k over 8 years is crazy!  Gotta wonder who is buying a 2012 and paying $38+.  

people want the older tech for service and tuning i guess, reliability parts are cheap

There are deals to be had if you hunt enough.  Some dealers are still for example honoring GM Supplier discounts.  They are rare!   Around here none of the dealers are honoring discounts, I've seen as much as $10k tacked on as a "high demand fee".  Some dealers are forcing the purchase of extended warranties, others are changing the pricing when you show up to pick up the vehicle.   Also they don't have to deal, people are coming in offering full MSRP and even ordering at full MSRP, it's like the home market now, if you want to buy a house offering more than the asking price is the norm.

That said by hunting around a lot, I was able to find a dealer still honoring GM supplier, and good to deal with.  However, I contacted dealers I've dealt with before and unless you were paying MSRP you were not worth their time to even return contact. 

6 hours ago, pokismoki said:

people want the older tech for service and tuning i guess, reliability parts are cheap

In Colorado, they are paying top $$$$ for used trucks. We just don't have any inventory to sell. Before I picked up my 2500, looking at used prices, they all seemed to be within a few thousand of what a new truck was going for. So we went new, I got real lucky, I was looking for a Chevy 2500 Custom crewcab, long box with the 5th wheel prep, there were none to be found on a lot within almost 200 miles of me. Happened to stop at a dealership, they had just pulled a GMC 2500 SLE crew longbos with the 5th wheel prep....off the car carrier....someone was looking out for me....I was desperate....the need for a truck was outweiging the ability to fight for a deal, but I wlaked out with only 1500 in dealer fees, and about that is discounts, so paid sticker

Tim

• Like 1

I just got my used 19 RST z71 Crew with 25k miles last month, love the truck. I had to bird dog this truck at the lot till it was up for sale it had a title issue and had to be weighed (some CO law states it had to match the title listed weight and it came from out of state), talked to the sales manager they said I was luck to grab it, tucks and basically any good used car/suv does not staying on the lot very long. Their used lot was basically half empty and most of the vehicles were either already sold or being transferred out to other locations for other buyers.

Edited by Raven2m
  • Like 1