Are every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra selling for over MSRP???

I'm experiencing a terrible situation where most (if not all) southern California Chevrolet and GMC dealers are required to sell every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra pickups for OVER MSRP. None of the salesman or manager is willing to budge on price. Some are as high as $5,000 dealer markup, regardless of trim. Trail-Boss or AT4 as high as $7,500 dealer markup. Buying at invoice price is totally dead-deal at this moment, and dealers ask me to leave the premise immediately. They all stated truck shortage or chip shortage, whatever the reasons. Pay at MSRP sticker price exact is a rare case-by-case basis only at this moment.

Is the inventory shortage really that bad nationwide?

What about other US states? Do you have this same issue? It's possible it may be a California only state problem, due to overpopulation, and it's not a problem with other US states at all. What about Arizona and Texas? Were you able to buy for invoice (or below) for 2021 models?

Edited by waltchan

Buy a Toyota if this is GM's new way to sell a truck.🤔

Let the lot know what you are doing, then bring back the Tundra and show them your new truck.

I am one of the most loyal GM people you will find, but if they do not want to deal, or take my money, no problem at all going to brand X

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SVG said:

I picked up a 21' 1500 AT4 Duramax Carbon Pro last month for about $9K off MSRP.

Apparently the HD's aren't seeing similar discounts.

Same thing as for HD pickups too. All come with $5,000 - $10,000 dealer-markups. I guess it's a California state problem itself rather than nationwide inventory, but I need your confirmation first in your state. Are you seeing (or hearing) over MSRP only transaction for new Silverado/Sierra from your local GM dealer?

California has the highest number of high-mileage drivers, highest turnover for new vehicles due to expired leases, high-mileage Uber/Lyft drivers, higher per capita income, undocumented immigrants needing vehicles, higher birth rate, and etc. Over MSRP transactions only from certain car makers have happened before in California's history, actually, when I was growing up.

So, where can I order a new Sierra at a GMC dealer for a little over invoice? Or, am I out of luck, and I can only order in the state of Arizona? I seriously doubt the small towns there would sell for over MSRP only. My #1 goal is to find one at near invoice, or $1,000 off MSRP before rebates. What do you think?

Edited by waltchan

Chevrolet has 4400 off MSRP right now. I ended up getting my 2021 RST with a loaded out interior and the 6.2l for around 9k off not including my down payment this past Saturday. Brown Chevrolet in Del Rio, TX. I live about 4.5hrs away from them.

I'd steer clear of any dealers claiming chip/truck shortage and marking up prices over sticker. Yes it's harder to find certain trims/options but you can find them.

• Like 1

I believe its Stealerships in the Cities..  Check pricing on the same truck at other dealerships  out away from the City. Its what i had to do to find the Truck i wanted. Not the Truck they wanted me to buy.. 

• Like 1

Not all dealers are doing this.  This is not a GM requirement to sell at a higher than MSRP price.  This sounds like some shitty dealers taking advantage of the shortage and demand of trucks.

I just bought a truck last week (AT4 with 3.0).  almost 10k off sticker.  With the good rebates that GM offers right now it is putting even more pressure on what inventory there is.

i just picked up a 2021 lt trailboss with the 6.2 yesterday, last one in the area on a 250 mile radius from niagara falls ny (well there was 2 others, but they were black). the dealers around here that usually have 200-400+ trucks, have 10, and most are base customs with the 4 banger. most dealers here are now msrp, minus rebate, and add back in dealer fees. the dealer i got mine from, was in the middle of no where, and had 3 up level truck, and took about 1k off the truck and then the rebate. but likely they last truck ill buy from that dealership, the finance manager was a royal richard being i had my own financing from my credit union, he did about everything he could to try a sell it if someone came walking in the door. even the salesguy wasnt happy with how his finance guy was.

Edited by Lpfm1990
  • Thanks 1

Requirement?  LMAO.  No such thing.  

Its greedy dealers taking advantage of the market and low inventory.  

Plus incentives are low right now as well.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 4