Are every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra selling for over MSRP???

It’s Southern California. My sister couldn’t get a new Tacoma without paying the $5k markup. So I told her to looks in Arizona. She flew in, found a new truck in Tucson and is driving it back to CA as we speak. I bought my 21’ TB 6.2 in December for just under MSRP in Colorado. Maybe I got lucky?

I was lucky here in San Antonio. A dealer was running $11,500 off MSRP on AT4's with the 3.0L (they had 11 identical at the time). Drove down there in a heartbeat back in early March and traded in my '16 2500HD High Country. Didn't need the 2500 anymore.

9 hours ago, Whiskeyranch said:

It’s Southern California. My sister couldn’t get a new Tacoma without paying the $5k markup.

But, why is this happening? Is it because too many California leases are expiring, so people are willing to pay at any price, even over MSRP?

May be most pronounced in Cali, but it’s reflective of a broader inventory issue. Not too much better at the dealers around here (Wisconsin). Higher trim GMCs marked up $2500, so the factory $5000 purchase allowance winds up only a net $2500 discount off MSRP.

I won’t be a buyer in that scenario but I don’t really begrudge the dealers for doing this.

Supply has never recovered from last springs drawdown when they weren't building -- even though they have been running overtime in truck plants (at least a Flint, where the HD's are made).

Sales levels (for pickups) remain very strong.

Trade values remain strong too -- since they are also in short supply.

Good to see that supply and demand is still 'a thing'. 

19 hours ago, waltchan said:

But, why is this happening? Is it because too many California leases are expiring, so people are willing to pay at any price, even over MSRP?

Because people saved a ton of money during the pandemic, and then Uncle Sam sent us all more. Now, everyone is in the mood to spend. And since the inventories are thinning daily, it adds that "buyer's rush" psychology into the equation... where you operate under the thinking that "man, if I don't lock this in, the line of people down the street are going to beat me to it." 

It's the same in the housing markets around the US right now. Short supply + eager buyers with a lot of saved up cash + competitive "play to win" buyer psychology = run-up on prices. 

I picked up a 2021 Custom Crew Cab 6.5 ft 4wd in late March and paid MSRP, with about $800 of dealer BS add ons, still only $38.8k after rebate. I had to go about 80 miles out to find the exact truck I wanted. Local dealer had a whopping $4,000 of dealer add ons and very few dealers had 4wd in stock. 

What I think is happening is that most dealers of So Cal popular trucks (Tundra, F-150, etc.) have very few trucks under $50k in stock. Finding trucks over $50k doesn't seem to be a problem. Also, 4wd trucks are much harder to find than 2wd. The Silverado Custom 4wd crew cab seems to be the cheapest full size truck option available (outside of stripped down work trucks). 

Dealers are becoming much savvier and know how to flip pricing to line up with demand. Another local dealer went from $1k to $2k below MSRP to $1k to $2k above MSRP. Also, Ford is barely offering any discounts on the new F-150 and even at MSRP the Chevy is a much better value due to $4.4k rebate. 

I'm still shocked as to how many people are willing to drop $55k+ on a full size truck. 

5 hours ago, 2.7fanboy said:

I picked up a 2021 Custom Crew Cab 6.5 ft 4wd in late March and paid MSRP, with about $800 of dealer BS add ons, still only $38.8k after rebate. I had to go about 80 miles out to find the exact truck I wanted. Local dealer had a whopping $4,000 of dealer add ons and very few dealers had 4wd in stock. 

What I think is happening is that most dealers of So Cal popular trucks (Tundra, F-150, etc.) have very few trucks under $50k in stock. Finding trucks over $50k doesn't seem to be a problem. Also, 4wd trucks are much harder to find than 2wd. The Silverado Custom 4wd crew cab seems to be the cheapest full size truck option available (outside of stripped down work trucks). 

Dealers are becoming much savvier and know how to flip pricing to line up with demand. Another local dealer went from $1k to $2k below MSRP to $1k to $2k above MSRP. Also, Ford is barely offering any discounts on the new F-150 and even at MSRP the Chevy is a much better value due to $4.4k rebate. 

I'm still shocked as to how many people are willing to drop $55k+ on a full size truck. 

Don't come to Alaska if you want to buy a 2WD truck.  It's been decades since I last saw a new one on a dealer's lot.  Every single truck is 4x4.

Have a commitment on new Sierra AT4 6.2L Carbon Pro at Laura.  Getting >$9k off MSRP.  That is their everbody price.  Scheduled to pick it up Wednesday.  Pretty thrilled with sale value of my '16 and ability to get this one. 

9 hours ago, 2.7fanboy said:

I just slipped by with getting the most for my truck and still getting reasonable discount on the new in February....

Can't blame dealers as it's no different if you had a product and knew you could get more than usual.....supply and demand will always rule the market

On 5/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, 2.7fanboy said:

Funny thing is that here in So Cal 4wd is also is super high demand. I've been told that Texans are fueling the demand for 4wds. Even at full MSRP the Silverado Custom 4wd is the cheapest half ton 4wd around. Heck, used 4wd Silverados (4 to 5 years old / 60 to 70k miles) are selling for $36k+ Insane.

I paid sticker minus a $2800 rebate for my 21HD last month here in Florida. I did however get 8k more for my trade than I was offered on another deal I backed out of last year. 

23 hours ago, GullLakeMi said:

Have a commitment on new Sierra AT4 6.2L Carbon Pro at Laura.  Getting >$9k off MSRP.  That is their everbody price.  Scheduled to pick it up Wednesday.  Pretty thrilled with sale value of my '16 and ability to get this one. 

I'd wait a month or so and see if you like the refreshed trucks. You may kick yourself in the butt if they look nicer.

53 minutes ago, 20Denali21 said:

I'd wait a month or so and see if you like the refreshed trucks. You may kick yourself in the butt if they look nicer.

Possible, but, by the time they hit the street this fall, the inflated current trade values may have dropped, as inventory loosens up over the summer...and if lots of people are looking to get a 22 this will drop the trade in values of the current 19/21's.

Its all in the timing of the deal.

Colorado, or at least where I live in the Colorado Springs area is selling right at or just below MSRP, the issue is no one had any on the lot. I needed to get out of my 2010 F350, and wanted a Chevy 2500 with the 6.6 Gasser, needed just a few things; long bed, 5th wheel prep, and at least a Custom trim level.

One lot in about a 100 mile radius had 2 truck on the ground, and they were short beds, thought I might have to make the sacrifice, but they gave a crap offer on the Ford. While there, a dealer in Castle Rock called me, they had 2 LTZ due in, in a few days, so I went by there....found out they had a GMC 2500 SLE with all the stuff I wanted, just off the truck, like 1 hour off the car carrier....by the time I signed the paperwork there were at least 3 people hoping the deal fell trough....

Edited by Tim Mayeux