Truck Resell Value

Vroom offered me $42,160 for my 19LT with 9K miles that I was out the door at 38K and change  in July of 19, can't find anything that would be the right replacement for it.

Carvanna offered me 49k for the truck I paid 40k for 6 months ago, BUT, I LOVE having a truck, use it daily as a truck...and can't find anything better that I can get into, even if I thru all 49k back at the new one.

Now...if I wanted a different vehicle, this would be an easy call!

I jumped in traded my 2018 Sierra SLT 6.2 Premium Plus with 29,000 miles.  Traded it in for what I paid for it!  

Got a 2021 Sierra SLT 6.2 Premium Plus, almost a twin to the 2018.

The real situation is finding the truck you want if you want to replace it during this chip shortage.  I was lucky to find what I wanted but had to travel 375 miles to get it.

I bought a '20 LT Trail Boss back in October (just over 6K miles). I managed to sell it for $3K more than I paid. Bought a '21 LT Trail Boss (with the safety package) and walked out with just over $6K. It was a no brainer ( I also live in TN where active duty military don't pay sales tax).

I'm like most of you with my 2018 2LT Z71 Crew. I like the truck, but there are some missing features (currently have cloth seats and want leather, the truck doesn't have no front or rear parking sensors, lacks any real cold/heat vents in the rear, etc.) that have me contemplating jumping on to either an '21 LT Trail Boss or '21 Laramie/Limited. I really do like some of the other additional safety features of the new trucks.

I've checked VROOM, KBB, and TrueCar on what my 2018 is worth, they range from $35K-$39K, with TrueCar being the highest. I may even run to CarFax on Monday to see where they are at with their appraisal since their pricing is sometimes about $1-1.5K lower than what a dealer may give on trade. I only owe about $19K left on the truck, so it would be a nice sizeable down payment for a newer truck with some of the bells and whistles that I want.

We test drove the LT Trail Boss a few months back and it was nice, but I'm put off by the interior as it feels like a slight upgrade from what I have now. I kept waiting to see what the new '22 refresh was going to bring, but that is now delayed. We bought my wife a '21 Tahoe back in January, GM really did some nice things with the Tahoe which I was hoping to see in their trucks. Today we went and test drove a few Laramie's and Limited's, they really were nice but damn does that big ass screen seem like it can be a world of confusion. I've been a GM loyalist for almost my entire life (give or take a few Hyundai's that I drove when I had a 80 mile a day commute), but tempted to possibly go with RAM for my next truck till GM get their stuff figured out.

Edited by captainzombie

19 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

I've checked VROOM, KBB, and TrueCar on what my 2018 is worth, they range from $35K-$39K, with TrueCar being the highest. I may even run to CarFax on Monday to see where they are at with their appraisal since their pricing is sometimes about $1-1.5K lower than what a dealer may give on trade.

FWIW, you can get the CarMax quote online as well now instead of having to go to the lot.   I’m not sure how long ago,they started doing this, but they were one of the places who quoted my ‘18 without leaving the house before trading it in on a ‘21. 

4 minutes ago, onebadss said:

FWIW, you can get the CarMax quote online as well now instead of having to go to the lot.   I’m not sure how long ago,they started doing this, but they were one of the places who quoted my ‘18 without leaving the house before trading it in on a ‘21. 

I didn't even know CarMax was doing that now. What did they quote you on the '18 and how many miles did you have on it and which trim model was yours?

When we traded in my wife's '18 Traverse in January, we also had gone to CarMax and their offer was pretty good when compared to some of the Chevy dealers we had hit up.

I think value wise I'll be happy for sure, it's trying to find another truck.

30 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

I'm like most of you with my 2018 2LT Z71 Crew. I like the truck, but there are some missing features (currently have cloth seats and want leather, the truck doesn't have no front or rear parking sensors, lacks any real cold/heat vents in the rear, etc.) that have me contemplating jumping on to either an '21 LT Trail Boss or '21 Laramie/Limited. I really do like some of the other additional safety features of the new trucks.

I've checked VROOM, KBB, and TrueCar on what my 2018 is worth, they range from $35K-$39K, with TrueCar being the highest. I may even run to CarFax on Monday to see where they are at with their appraisal since their pricing is sometimes about $1-1.5K lower than what a dealer may give on trade. I only owe about $19K left on the truck, so it would be a nice sizeable down payment for a newer truck with some of the bells and whistles that I want.

We test drove the LT Trail Boss a few months back and it was nice, but I'm put off by the interior as it feels like a slight upgrade from what I have now. I kept waiting to see what the new '22 refresh was going to bring, but that is now delayed. We bought my wife a '21 Tahoe back in January, GM really did some nice things with the Tahoe which I was hoping to see in their trucks. Today we went and test drove a few Laramie's and Limited's, they really were nice but damn does that big ass screen seem like it can be a world of confusion. I've been a GM loyalist for almost my entire life (give or take a few Hyundai's that I drove when I had a 80 mile a day commute), but tempted to possibly go with RAM for my next truck till GM get their stuff figured out.

We just got a new 2021 Pacifica Limited for my wife. It is the first FCA model to get the new Uconnect 5 in the 10.1” screen. 

It has some great features - split screen, tons of customization on a Home Screen, etc. The nav is just as good as the wireless CarPlay options. 

But man, getting back into my T1 really is nice. GM really made their infotainment advanced, but SO easy to use. Do I wish I could customize it a little more like the Uconnect system? Sure. But I don’t know that I would trade away just how user friendly it is. 

Oh, and the GM camera quality is still much better, too. 

Just some real world input for you to consider as you evaluate what’s best for you. 

20 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

I didn't even know CarMax was doing that now. What did they quote you on the '18 and how many miles did you have on it and which trim model was yours?

When we traded in my wife's '18 Traverse in January, we also had gone to CarMax and their offer was pretty good when compared to some of the Chevy dealers we had hit up.

I think value wise I'll be happy for sure, it's trying to find another truck.

CarMax offered me $42400 for my ‘18 LTZ Z71 CC Redline with 32k on it.  They were the best offer behind Vroom that I got, and is what really opened my eyes to trading it in.  I made a nice profit over what I paid for it and got considerable sales tax savings on top of it all.

I hear you on trying to find the right truck.  I stumbled upon nearly exactly what I was looking for an hour away, so I pulled the trigger.

25 minutes ago, econometrics said:

We just got a new 2021 Pacifica Limited for my wife. It is the first FCA model to get the new Uconnect 5 in the 10.1” screen. 

It has some great features - split screen, tons of customization on a Home Screen, etc. The nav is just as good as the wireless CarPlay options. 

But man, getting back into my T1 really is nice. GM really made their infotainment advanced, but SO easy to use. Do I wish I could customize it a little more like the Uconnect system? Sure. But I don’t know that I would trade away just how user friendly it is. 

Oh, and the GM camera quality is still much better, too. 

Just some real world input for you to consider as you evaluate what’s best for you. 

GM has done an awesome job with their camera systems. I absolutely love the HD surround camera and what they have done. Everytime I drive the Tahoe, I am amazed with it and wish I had the same in my truck. LOL!

I do also like the old school climate control knobs, but it appears surely but slowly we could be going away from that as each car manufacturer tries to one up the other.

The Laramie and Limited we drove, I believe had the split screen which was quite neat that you can have the radio on the top of the screen and navigation on the bottom.

4 minutes ago, onebadss said:

CarMax offered me $42400 for my ‘18 LTZ Z71 CC Redline with 32k on it.  They were the best offer behind Vroom that I got, and is what really opened my eyes to trading it in.  I made a nice profit over what I paid for it and got considerable sales tax savings on top of it all.

I hear you on trying to find the right truck.  I stumbled upon nearly exactly what I was looking for an hour away, so I pulled the trigger.

That is a very good offer. Did you sell it to CarMax or did you go to the dealer with their offer to get that trade-in? I only have 32,250 miles on my truck, so if what the other offers were in the $38-$39k higher range than probably weren't off.

It does suck trying to find that right truck and sometimes brand loyalty does blind us, especially that is what happens to me. My wife did like many of the features with the RAM and is trying to persuade me in that direction even though we are a GM family.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

It does suck trying to find that right truck and sometimes brand loyalty does blind us, especially that is what happens to me. My wife did like many of the features with the RAM and is trying to persuade me in that direction even though we are a GM family.

I think that is definitely what makes buying a new truck hard these days. All the major players have quality products with each having their own benefits over the others. It would be easier if it was still pre-2010, when brand loyalty was much cleaner to uphold because the trucks were mostly the same save reliability and style. 

16 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

That is a very good offer. Did you sell it to CarMax or did you go to the dealer with their offer to get that trade-in? I only have 32,250 miles on my truck, so if what the other offers were in the $38-$39k higher range than probably weren't off.

I used their offer to negotiate my trade value at the dealer and they beat it by $100.  They’ll make decent profit reselling it and I saved a bunch on taxes, so win-win in my eyes. 

11 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I think that is definitely what makes buying a new truck hard these days. All the major players have quality products with each having their own benefits over the others. It would be easier if it was still pre-2010, when brand loyalty was much cleaner to uphold because the trucks were mostly the same save reliability and style. 

Totally agreed on that. It is good for competition, look at what Ford has done with their Platinum trim and the dash/interior. While I am not a fan of their trucks, the more innovation the better to push these car manufacturers to keep upgrading their trucks.

14 minutes ago, onebadss said:

I used their offer to negotiate my trade value at the dealer and they beat it by $100.  They’ll make decent profit reselling it and I saved a bunch on taxes, so win-win in my eyes. 

In the past if the dealer was less than CarMax on a trade, I've shown them the appraisal to even get them to match the offer. The dealer of course always makes out in the end, regardless how much we think we've taken them for.

25 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

In the past if the dealer was less than CarMax on a trade, I've shown them the appraisal to even get them to match the offer. The dealer of course always makes out in the end, regardless how much we think we've taken them for.

You’ve got that right.  Gotta have meat on the bone for them in the end.

41 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

Totally agreed on that. It is good for competition, look at what Ford has done with their Platinum trim and the dash/interior. While I am not a fan of their trucks, the more innovation the better to push these car manufacturers to keep upgrading their trucks.

The tech was one of the only things I liked and miss from my one and only Ford truck.   I’d love to see some more of that on the GM side in the future.