In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Adaptive Cruise Control temporarily unavailable?

Just picked up my 2020 High Country last night..today when on highway coming home, my adaptive cruise control shut off twice on its own and had an error message on screen that I attached below.. wth? It wouldn't work for like 5 minutes and then I was able to use it again for like 2 minutes and it shut itself off again. I was able to use the regular cruise control after though? Any thoughts or experiences?

20210519_190207.jpg

The cruise uses the front camera. If it's dirty it may not work. I have issues if I dive into the rising sun in the morning with the adaptive cruise shutting off (I assume the same would happen at sunset).

You do know you can shut off the adaptive cruise and just use regular cruise. Holding down the cancel button toggles between regular and adaptive cruise.

Jay

Posted (edited)

Where you driving into the sun? Mine does this as well. I drive a road with trees shading it daily. Once I hit the end of the shade and the sun is bright. It will do exactly what you see. After a few miles driving it will work fine again. It's the same thing as you driving into the sun without sunglasses or a shade pulled down. It temporarily blinds the camera and shuts off for safety. FYI the camera is up on the top of the windshield in the pod by the rear view mirror. Also in winter when the window is fogged up. The system won't work till the camera can see even if the window is good.

Edited by 2016 Sierra Owner
added
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Where you driving into the sun? Mine does this as well. I drive a road with trees shading it daily. Once I hit the end of the shade and the sun is bright. It will do exactly what you see. After a few miles driving it will work fine again. It's the same thing as you driving into the sun without sunglasses or a shade pulled down. It temporarily blinds the camera and shuts off for safety. FYI the camera is up on the top of the windshield in the pod by the rear view mirror. Also in winter when the window is fogged up. The system won't work till the camera can see even if the window is good.

Sounds like a crappy technology they use. All my other vehicles not Chevy/GMC, going back 7 years have never had problems

I believe it's the camera that is ahead of the rearview mirror.

I use adaptive cruise about 80 or 90% of the time. 

I've had the 'temporarily unavailable' message come up twice -- both times running directly into setting evening sun. 

Of course its' super easy to switch between adaptive and regular cruise....or maybe run 'old school' for a bit...

The OM has are 8 or 9 pages of details about how it works and what it can be affected by.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had it happen once as well - figured it was from 1500 miles of bugs on my camera. Pulled over at the next rest stop, and it was fairly clean. I was driving into the sun though. It started working after a few minutes. 

I did find that you can turn adaptive off by holding down the cancel cruise button for 5-10 seconds. 

• 3 months later...

I have had this happen since I got the Truck new in Dec 2020. It has to be related to the camera in the rearview. Sun and also ice have caused mine. Due to the location, defroster does not knock the ice off there at Rear view mirror assembly. Discovered the ice issue when the ice had set in overnight and we headed south and the roads were clear but the windshield was not yet. I dont think there is an issue to fix. Just going to deal with it

Anecdotal, but I had adaptive cruise shut off on my probably a dozen times in my 13500 mile ownership. Then it finally just quit completely. I'm not saying it was failing the whole time, but it did finally quit on me. I guess I'll be driving another month without it because GM can't/won't get parts. 

Side note, my Outback before this never once had an eyesight issue. Nor has my fiancées forester. I'm really disappointed in the vehicle I have paid twice as much for as anything before it.