I've come a long way in life.  In high school my family was homeless on the street.  We were so poor that we invented ways to eat potatoes so it would remain interesting since all we could afford for a 15-day pay period was potatoes, and a few extras that we spread thinly over those 15 days, such as butter, or cheese, or sour cream, etc.  I've busted my ass to have a better life.  The fact that I wake up everyday and have a nice new truck in my driveway is something I appreciate in ways most people would never comprehend.  This was the first vehicle I got to splurge on, and some of that splurging was an exhaust. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 5:03 PM, Black02Silverado said:

Speaking of first vehicles.  Mine was a 1968 Impala Custom, 2 door with the 250hp 327 and turbo 400 transmission.  I paid $450 for it with 75k miles on it back in 1980.    My parents let me put duals on it.  I used what they had back then called a turbo muffler. Wasn't loud but not stock either.  I wasn't allow to put a Thrush muffler on it.  Anyone remember them?  :lol:

I had the 300hp 327 4 speed, Impala in high school. With hindsight, I should have never gotten rid of that car when I did. It came with duals. Louder than stock but not so loud I woke up the neighborhood

• Like 1

3 hours ago, txab said:

I had the 300hp 327 4 speed, Impala in high school. With hindsight, I should have never gotten rid of that car when I did. It came with duals. Louder than stock but not so loud I woke up the neighborhood

My 68 after a while the lifters went bad and so I upgraded the heads to double hump heads with 2.02 valves and a blueprinted Crane 300hp 327 came.  So basically it became a 300hp 327 after that.  Man, it was nice but then I had to run premium or it would ping for ever. LOL

• Thanks 1

Me being a kid found out that if I put it in 1st and didn't shift that it would shift on it's own and hard. LOL  Then slowing down it would shift back down.  Good old turbo 400.  Bullet proof. Oh those were the days. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

My 68 after a while the lifters went bad and so I upgraded the heads to double hump heads with 2.02 valves and a blueprinted Crane 300hp 327 came.  So basically it became a 300hp 327 after that.  Man, it was nice but then I had to run premium or it would ping for ever. LOL

I remember having to run premium too. Mine was a 64, my high school buddy had a 68, iirc. I'm sure mine was turned into somebody's lowrider after I sold it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Black02Silverado said:

Me being a kid found out that if I put it in 1st and didn't shift that it would shift on it's own and hard. LOL  Then slowing down it would shift back down.  Good old turbo 400.  Bullet proof. Oh those were the days. :)

My father had a 72 ss elcamino the first time he put in L1 and left it, I thought there she blows. She let out a bark when it hit second like speed shifting. He had dually that would do it too. It was hilarious. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, redwngr said:

No one bragging about having an old GM with the 2 speed powerglide automatic??

I had one in a 69 Chevelle nomad station wagon a hand me down when I started driving with a 307 2bbl with a 2 speed powerglide and never had a problem with it. All you had was PNDL on the column.

That 307 would burn some oil I ran through 2qts of oil and a can of STP oil treatment every week or 2 but it got me around till the car just rotted out and wasnt worth putting money in the motor then I stepped up to a 75 Impala with a 350 4bbl and a turbo 350 trans, man redwngr you brought back some old times for me.

Edited by Silverado4x4

Don't rag on the powerglide!!!  A friend of mine had a 64 Nova with a worked on 235 ci and powerglide ran mid 11's with it.  It was a 4bbl Holley carbed 9,000 rpm monster that ran a highly modified torque converter with a 6500 stall in it.  It was a fun car to work on most of the internal parts were small block parts so we always had a few spare parts.. :jester:

• Thanks 1

First car I bought. 66 Ford Galaxie 500. Looked identical to this one. Same color! Even kept the hub caps. 

BangShift.com This 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Was Just Traded In To A  Dealership...Interested? - BangShift.com

.030" over 352 4V Interceptor, 3 speed FMX. 9" Nodular with a Detrtiot Locker and 4.30 gear. Bosteder Sr. (Arnie Beswick) built trans. HTC prepared 360 forged truck crank, ARS blueprinted 427 rods. 9:1 TRW pistons, 335/390 ported heads. 428 CJ cam/lifter (CZA6250B). 428 SCJ alloy dual plane intake. 427 high ratio rockers/stands. Holley R1850 600 😉  Mallory dual point ignitor. I did my own distributor and carb tuning and porting/bench work. Moroso air filter, windage tray, 6 quart pan, pump. Wolfs Head 10W30. SUNOCO 260. American Rod Shop (Roger Griffin) did the machine work. All FORD save the oiling system. I and a friend did the assembly work. Scott Evans did the paint and my wife stitched up the interior. 

A sweet little 357 Magnum. 

Custom made for the car Kustom Headers long tube (Michigan) with Castler 3" glasspacks hanging off the long collectors and H pipe and turndown tips. There was nothing off the shelf at the time. This rattled store windows on main street and the confidence of quite a few 60's BBC GM full size cars. A money maker people laughed at...until......  It was the early 70's. Cops never bothered me. 

At 55 mph down US 30 spun 3,000 and gave 8 mpg. A drive between Clinton and Cedar Rapids also required a a few aspirin and some ear plugs. Oh and more than a tank of gas. 

I drove this on the street for about 4 years. (had to pay for itself) Retired to the track for 1 year (cost to much). Gave the driveline to my painters older brother in exchange for some more paint work and cut the car up with a gas axe and put it in a dumpster. Everyone wanted to steal it, no one wanted to pay for it. So...no one got it. 

:rant:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

First car I bought. 66 Ford Galaxie 500. Looked identical to this one. Same color! Even kept the hub caps. 

BangShift.com This 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Was Just Traded In To A  Dealership...Interested? - BangShift.com

.030" over 352 4V Interceptor, 3 speed FMX. 9" Nodular with a Detrtiot Locker and 4.30 gear. Bosteder Sr. (Arnie Beswick) built trans. HTC prepared 360 forged truck crank, ARS blueprinted 427 rods. 9:1 TRW pistons, 335/390 ported heads. 428 CJ cam/lifter (CZA6250B). 428 SCJ alloy dual plane intake. 427 high ratio rockers/stands. Holley R1850 600 😉  Mallory dual point ignitor. I did my own distributor and carb tuning and porting/bench work. Moroso air filter, windage tray, 6 quart pan, pump. Wolfs Head 10W30. SUNOCO 260. American Rod Shop (Roger Griffin) did the machine work. All FORD save the oiling system. I and a friend did the assembly work. Scott Evans did the paint and my wife stitched up the interior. 

A sweet little 357 Magnum. 

Custom made for the car Kustom Headers long tube (Michigan) with Castler 3" glasspacks hanging off the long collectors and H pipe and turndown tips. There was nothing off the shelf at the time. This rattled store windows on main street and the confidence of quite a few 60's BBC GM full size cars. A money maker people laughed at...until......  It was the early 70's. Cops never bothered me. 

At 55 mph down US 30 spun 3,000 and gave 8 mpg. A drive between Clinton and Cedar Rapids also required a a few aspirin and some ear plugs. Oh and more than a tank of gas. 

I drove this on the street for about 4 years. (had to pay for itself) Retired to the track for 1 year (cost to much). Gave the driveline to my painters older brother in exchange for some more paint work and cut the car up with a gas axe and put it in a dumpster. Everyone wanted to steal it, no one wanted to pay for it. So...no one got it. 

:rant:

Yup some the cars I had I wish I still had them.

• Like 1