Buy a 2021 sierra or wait for 2022?

Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice. I currently own a 2011 F150 which I bought new 10 years ago. Due to astronomical gas prices in canada (I pay $220 per fill up) I'm looking to replace it with a sierra elevation 3.0 diesel. My local dealer has the exact truck I want. 2021 Crew cab, blacked out with black emblems, fully loaded and x31 offroad package. It's about 4k cheaper compared to new as it's an ex demo. For those of you with the current sierra, are you happy with the interior? If you had the option would you rather have the new interior? Either way, the sierra will be a huge upgrade from my basic F150 XLT interior. Any advice would be appreciated as this will be my first GM. 

Included is the picture of the truck I'm considering buying 

Screenshot_20211026-152536.png

Edited by Digger87

I'd say if you like the truck, get it.  I just bought a 2021 Silverado RST before the announcements of the '22s came out.  Yeah, the new interiors are nice, but to me it's just more toys and gimmicks.  And I try to stay away from the first year of anything new.  The interior in mine isn't the most exciting thing there is but it works and is well laid out IMHO.  I think the GMCs are even a little nicer. 

I would give it a test drive and see how you like it as it will be very different from your current truck. I honestly wish we had the 3.0 Duramax instead of the 5.3 V8 in our '21 Silverado as we use it to tow a small travel trailer and the better towing range/efficiency and extra torque would have been nice, plus I don't like DFM at all and the Duramax is the only engine option that doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

We have the basic cloth bench seat setup in our LT trim Silverado, but it does have the power driver's seat, front heated seats, and the leather heated steering wheel. I think the interior layout and ergonomics are perfectly fine, and I like having dual center consoles effectively with the bench seat. As with all modern vehicles, I think the front seats are too stiff, but I easily remedied that with a pair of memory foam seat bottom cushions for the front seats.

It's not a vehicle that's accommodating of shorter drivers, though; my wife is five feet tall and struggles to find a position where she can both see over the ridiculously tall hood and actually reach the pedals without having her right heel floating, so she almost never drives it. The forward visibility on pretty much all modern trucks is pretty bad as they keep making the grilles bigger and the hoods taller. I rode in my parents' 2003 Avalanche recently and it was a real eye opener as the hood on that truck actually slopes down and the visibility is much better. 

People like to complain about hard plastics, but they also make it easier to clean. Combined with a set of floor liners, it's a pretty easy interior to clean quickly. The new interior on the 2022 models looks like a nice upgrade from a look/materials perspective (at least on the dash, which is the big change), but I'm easy to please; if it has air conditioning and Apple CarPlay, I'm happy.

• Like 1

It's likely that the 2022s won't be available until 2023. To me, the new interior is really nice but not worth waiting for. The current interior is very well laid out and functional. I just bought a 2021 LTZ.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reeseb said:

It's likely that the 2022s won't be available until 2023. To me, the new interior is really nice but not worth waiting for. The current interior is very well laid out and functional. I just bought a 2021 LTZ.

Then wouldn't we call them 23 MY ? I think the refreshed ones will start making their way into dealerships by mid Jan 

8 hours ago, reeseb said:

The 'refreshed' '22's are supposed to start showing up the end of first quarter of 2022.

You’ll pay more for the new style. But it’ll also be worth more on the other side. Talking a whole model year newer and with a much more desirable interior vs a lame duck at this point.

My 19 was “fine” on the inside, but definitely not impressive for a truck that stickered over 60k (US). Wasn’t everything to me but if I was shopping again the 22 is worth the wait.

I may regret it, but I ordered a 22 Silverado LTD a couple of weeks ago. The new interior looks really nice, but from the pictures looks a little less functional. The large screen takes up a lot of real estate and the console shifter seems to be in the way but I won't know for sure until I see one.

Also, the price being unknown was another factor. 

• Digger87 changed the title to Buy a 2021 sierra or wait for 2022?

All good points, thank you for the input. My budget is 65k CAD which is about the price for a loaded  elevation. I really wish they would share pricing info for the new model, would make my decision a lot easier. I do a fair amount of off roading and and I have a dirty job (heavy equipment operator) so durability is most important to me.

The interior change will have no change in durability. It’s the same mechanically. The electronics get slightly more complicated so the 2021 may be better from that perspective as compared to a new interior that hasn’t been fielded yet. Get whichever you want.  The 2021 will likely be the better price deal. 

1 hour ago, avalanched said:

Be advised the 2022 LTD models that are available are carry over 2021 models and NOT the new design.  So it will look exactly like a 2021, no new interior.

Edited by elcamino

14 hours ago, elcamino said:

Be advised the 2022 LTD models that are available are carry over 2021 models and NOT the new design.  So it will look exactly like a 2021, no new interior.

Yes, I should have been more clear.  While the new interior of the refresh looks nice, I think the one in the LTD may prove to be more functional.  That being unknown, I decided to order a 2022 LTD.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, TxTruckMan said:

The interior change will have no change in durability. It’s the same mechanically. The electronics get slightly more complicated so the 2021 may be better from that perspective as compared to a new interior that hasn’t been fielded yet. Get whichever you want.  The 2021 will likely be the better price deal. 

Ya good deals right now, even on a custom order. I know for sure the new interior will get a price increase and that worries me as trucks are already ridiculously expensive. As for durability, I meant the interior. I'm pretty hard on my truck due to my job and lifestyle.

I had a 2015 Silverado, they gave me more than I thought it was worth for trade in on a 2021 Sierra in July. I’ve put 10000 miles on it since and am loving the baby Dmax.  If I keep it under 80mph I’m averaging 27mpg. I was waiting for the new interior but had 140000  miles and the transmission was getting really sloppy on the Silverado.  Now after seeing the new interior I would like the bigger screen but I prefer a column shifter.  Maybe in 3 or 4 years they will put it back out of the way.  I work from my truck and it’s in the way in the center.

I found this picture they seem similar on the inside but so different outside the cockpit.

2A73AA34-A014-4FBB-BB21-32D955B3C6BD.jpeg

Edited by jaybird773