Engine Cleaning

KARNUT

When I bought my Avalanche almost two years ago the engine and compartment looked new. I never had the service department say that was a maintenance procedure. I use to routinely at the car wash spray it down. I had a truck years ago throw a check engine light and run rough and I stopped doing it. My wife’s Genesis engine compartment is grimy so I’m thinking about it. Thoughts?

Occasionally I do a light cleaning on the engine compartment just to refresh it and get the dust away.  I NEVER use a pressure washer.  It's more like just wetting down the surface with some light soapy water and using a brush or sponge on the obvious areas.  I never try to scrub it hard or get a lot of soapy water directly on the alternator for instance.   PLaces like beneath the hood and the fender liners come clean pretty easily. Then just a light spray rinse with a water hose.  I never had a problem afterwards.  I usually start up the truck anyway to move it away from the wash area and let it run a minute to dry off.  This is a bout a once a year routine for me.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

I have cleaned under the hood for years once a year.  I use Super Clean. Cuts grease better. Like it better than Purple Power. 

Cool engine. 

Fill this up and spray down with straight Super Clean. Do not dilute. This is easier than a spray bottle.

iPower GLSPRYBOTTLE1000 38oz Hand-held Manual Pump Pressure Garden Sprayer Bottle with Adjustable Nozzle for Lawn, Garden

I use this because you want to keep everything wet before you rinse. If it dries it's harder to remove and may leave residue.

Rinse with a garden hose. Set hose nozzle to a mild spray. Not a forceful stream. This way water isn't forced into places it shouldn't be.

If there is a place with dirt grease build up, spray directly with a stream form the sprayer until the dirt grease is gone. It will come off this way but requires using more Super Clean.

I have never had a problem doing this. Always a COOL engine is my preference.

If you do it yearly it's easier and faster than letting the motor get real dirty. 

I have used this method to clean the underside of a vehicle also.

• Like 2

I just spray mine down with Simple Green and then rinse it with the hose with no nozzle on the end.  Let the water flow run down everything.  Easy and no  pressure to force water into connections and such.

Then when I'm done, I take it for a drive to dry it off, at least for what might get on the engine and want to sit in pockets that the water wouldn't normally drain off of.

Like on my 2002, the knock sensors were bad for collecting water.  I know these new engines are completely different but still what would it hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I just spray mine down with Simple Green and then rinse it with the hose with no nozzle on the end.  Let the water flow run down everything.  Easy and no  pressure to force water into connections and such.

Then when I'm done, I take it for a drive to dry it off, at least for what might get on the engine and want to sit in pockets that the water wouldn't normally drain off of.

Like on my 2002, the knock sensors were bad for collecting water.  I know these new engines are completely different but still what would it hurt.

+1 on the Simple Green. Works great. I'm due for an engine bay clean-up pretty soon

• Like 2

I hand clean mine and while it is not perfect it is not a filthy either. Anyone who uses a hose to wash down their engine compartment is chancing it imo, from the alternator to the coil packs and all the electrical connections just far too much to worry about imo getting wet.

• Like 1

Throw-away microfibers and Simple Green. Or waterless wash solution if it’s a newer vehicle and just dusty.

Thought I’d get cute and degrease the engine on my Honda Enduro over at the coin-op back in the day. Couldn’t get it restarted after, and had to walk the thing back home about 8 blocks. 

That was it for using a hose on any engine. I’m sure a modern vehicle would handle it a little better than a 70s motorcycle but still not worth it to me.

After six years my engine compartment is dusty but not dirty.  A couple of years ago a tech at my dealership wrote in my service record that there were signs of rodent activity in my engine area.  There were tiny footprints in the dust.  I had the truck checked thoroughly and it appears the intruder was just passing through.  I cleaned off the tracks and now check regularly to make sure the dust is undisturbed! 

• Like 1

I do a mini cleaning under the hood at each full service (5K) and a major clean twice a year. Even a quick wipe down during oil level checks. Now nearly 7 years old and a 150K on the clock and it has never looked worse than this. A little bit of cleaning often is more fruitful than once a decade for keeping it looking new and running cool. And yes it is this clean between the pan the lower shield too. 

It was a little dusty this day 

😱

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.e970dbe4414abe53829584b49a9a1b54.JPG