Offroad capability of a stock x31/Z71

I recently ordered a 2022 sierra elevation with the x31 package. I do a fair amount of off roading (more like soft roading) on FSR's and decommissioned logging roads. My 2011 f150 has about 11 inches ground clearance (with a leveling kit and 33's) while the sierra only has 8.1 inches so I'm a little concerned about it's off roading capabilities. I'd like to avoid adding a leveling kit/lift until the warranty is up. Hoping someone here has a stock Z71 or x31 and can share their experience with off roading. 

Have an X31. 

Fine for going down fire/logging roads. Beyond that it's a half ton truck. Bad entry and departure angles. If you try to take it on "Jeep" trails you're going to pinstripe it to hell. The valence is like 10" off the ground. I mean, the list goes on. Have done plenty of "medium" off-road trails in mine, tore the mudflaps to $hit, bent my exhaust tips and put a massive dent in the crossbeam of my frame and I would consider myself fortunate that that is all that happened lol.

Again, it's a 40-60k dollar half ton truck. If you want to do serious off-roading buy a secondary vehicle. But it is obviously as capable as any other 4WD truck. If you know the roads in which you are going prior, you'll be fine. If you are trying to keep up with your Jeep buddies on skinny trails you're going to hate your truck. Just is a physically wider vehicle with a wider turning radius. Is what it is. 

Edited by DustSierra

I agree. My work involved pipelines, utility lines medium off roading. My hobby was performance vehicles. Although I did do some performance mods to my truck. I didn’t take it to the track. I left that to a special vehicle. I think a jeep type vehicle is more suited for your needs.

You'll be fine for fire roads and decommissioned roads.

Only potential issues are the tires.  My Z71 came with some crappy Goodyear highway treads.  I'm counting the days until I can get some bigger, better tires.

Good news is you can fit much bigger tires than factory on these stock.

1.  The 4x4 system on the Z71 and X31 rucks is as capable as any full size truck on the market in their respective price range and category, and more so than most because of the 4 Auto option as well as the 4 lo option that seems to be disappearing from other manufacturers.  Those options alone will give you a measure of control that other manufacturers cant duplicate.   Bottom line, the X31 and Z71 are extremely capable trucks when compared to the other trucks in the full-size market at the same price point and category so don't worry.  In addition, the new ZR2 Silverado has front and rear selectable lockers which is a first in the industry on a 1500 and clearly sets it apart for off road driving so maybe look closely at that if you are looking to do more serious off road capability. 

2.  A lift wont give you more actual ground clearance, your rear axle will still be the same height off the ground after the lift as it was before the lift.  Only your approach and departure angles will change so if you want extra ground clearance you will have to increase the tire size.  If you stay with the factory wheel, or an identical offset on an aftermarket wheel, you can fit 35's with no trimming on the Z71 and only minor trimming on the X31 since it has a different wheel well and that will give you a little more elevation..

3.  Your best friend when off-roading these trucks is a quality set of off road tires.  I was able to get through soggy fields and cake walk through slick, washed-out fire roads that my buddies in their maxed out 4Runners had significant struggles on, simply because I had better tires (DuraTracs).  Listening to them talk before the trip, you would think their 4Runners would dance across those fields and glide over the fire road's ruts, but they struggled pretty bad and wound up getting stuck a few times while my full size truck that they thought would be a burden wound up being the one getting everybody unstuck.  They were amazed a full size truck could do that, but its only because of how naïve they are.  Most 4wd's are very similar, its tires that really make the difference.  Now when it comes to tight trails, they run circles around me and there are trails they do that I simply cant because of the size of the truck and that's a definite detraction to the full size off road vehicle, but what limits my Z71 would also be the same limit for the FX4 so its a wash.  

Long story short, basic off road capability comes down to tires, ground clearance, and the 4WD system.  The big 3 trucks all have locking rear diffs, locking transfer cases, and similar ground clearance so there they are fairly equal in those measures.  If you put the RAM, Ford, and GM trucks in a muddy field with all three using the same tires, they are all going to perform about the same.  The Z71 and X31 trucks are very capable full size trucks, more so than most in their respective price range and category once you include 4Auto.  Have no worries, the Z71 and the FX4 are so similar in capability that you wont notice a difference in the systems until you utilize the 4Auto function are realize how nice it is :)

• Like 1

You mentioned decommissioned logging roads. I work on a ranch so there's about 10 miles of dirt road to get there. We own a lot of other 4×4's and the RST Z71 is the worst truck to drive around 30 mph on rough and straight roads because it gets incredibly jiggly in the back and loses traction while the front stays planted and it has fishtailed on me. NONE of the other 4×4's do that so I will never buy another RST Z71 with twin tube shocks, but the LT Z71 doesn't come with twin tube shocks. Others have reported fishtailing issues with the RST Z71, but not the LT Z71.

Edited: I think Elevation is the same as RST so it may have twin tube shocks. Just don't go on rough roads.

Edited by Wiggums

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

You mentioned decommissioned logging roads. I work on a ranch so there's about 10 miles of dirt road to get there. We own a lot of other 4×4's and the RST Z71 is the worst truck to drive around 30 mph on rough and straight roads because it gets incredibly jiggly in the back and loses traction while the front stays planted and it has fishtailed on me. NONE of the other 4×4's do that so I will never buy another RST Z71 with twin tube shocks, but the LT Z71 doesn't come with twin tube shocks. Others have reported fishtailing issues with the RST Z71, but not the LT Z71.

Edited: I think Elevation is the same as RST so it may have twin tube shocks. Just don't go on rough roads.

Mine is an LT Z71 and I never had any issues with the rear skipping or jumping around.  However, if the primary use of the vehicle will be off road, then the truck would have new shocks on it before it ever got parked in the driveway, regardless of truck manufacturer or factory shock type.

Forest service/logging roads are about the extent of what I'll do with a Z71, and it is plenty capable for that. Beyond that and you're pushing a highway rig to do something it wasn't really designed to do. There are way better "out of the box" rigs that expand your off-roading capability. It will really depend on your intended use.

Around here, "off road" anywhere off of a forest or logging road is....trails. Steep, rocky, with lots of soil and mud, and very tight between trees. A full-size is too big in almost every dimension, stock highway tires are woefully inadequate, and the gearing will burn up a trans real easy. A G80 rear isn't optimal for traction at crawl speeds. Most trails are best suited for a short-wheelbase vehicle with high ground clearance, and at least a selectable locking rear end.

But yeah, if you live in farm/ranch country where gravel roads are a way of life and accessing land comes with a little mud and uneven ground, you'll be fine. But a trail rig, these are not.

Thank you for all the input! Very helpful.

I should have been more clear. I am not doing any off road trail, wheeling or rock crawling. I am only driving up forest service roads and logging roads to get to mountain bike trails so the roads are nothing extreme. My only concern is hitting the front bumper with the low ground clearance. Basically I'm just hoping it can go everywhere my F150 is able to take me.

Picture shown is about as gnarly as the roads get. Sometimes after lots of traffic they can be covered with large loose rocks.

20181014_155810-1024x768.jpg

Edited by Digger87
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

You'll be fine for fire roads and decommissioned roads.

Only potential issues are the tires.  My Z71 came with some crappy Goodyear highway treads.  I'm counting the days until I can get some bigger, better tires.

Good news is you can fit much bigger tires than factory on these stock.

When I saw the truck in person the clearance looked tight. I was thinking 275/65/20 with the gm 2 inch lift.

2 hours ago, Digger87 said:

Thank you for all the input! Very helpful.

I should have been more clear. I am not doing any off road trail, wheeling or rock crawling. I am only driving up forest service roads and logging roads to get to mountain bike trails so the roads are nothing extreme. My only concern is hitting the front bumper with the low ground clearance. Basically I'm just hoping it can go everywhere my F150 is able to take me.

Picture shown is about as gnarly as the roads get. Sometimes after lots of traffic they can be covered with large loose rocks.

20181014_155810-1024x768.jpg

Great setting, what state are you in?