Leaked new EV Silverado

Was browsing the web today and happened to run into this photo which is apparently a leaked photo of the new Silverado EV that supposed to be released tomorrow. Thoughts?

OXqcyFk.png

Edit: Confirmed designed

Just released and confirmed the design. Live release: https://www.gmexhibitzero.com/en-us

EZME87c.png

Edited by PureZ71
  • Like 1

If it's real, I like the front but dislike the bed. Looks like an avalanche with the sidewalls. Makes the bed less-usable IMO.

I don't think it's a real photo, the silhouette on TFLs upcoming video doesn't show that:

You know what, just had a thought.  GM should have put a midgate in it and called it AVALANCHE (blue E obviously).  This is a huge missed opportunity to bring back the Avalanche as an exciting EV option. 

Also, fun fact for anyone that doesn't know, the Hummer EV (and this most likely) are unibody construction.  There is no ladder frame underneath it.  Its built just like a Ridgeline, Chevy Traverse, Ford Maverick, etc.  Unibody with front and rear suspension/powertrain cradles.

The Silverado EV should have followed the F150 Lightning formula and look like the 2022 Silverado but be an EV.  So similar interior, EV styled front, body on frame traditional construction.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 4

It not horrible looking, but I am not interested in one of these. We don't have the surplus here in Iowa for EV's yet, plus I am not waiting around for 3-4 hours to charge my truck when I need to get to my cabin or the Black Hills to go UTV riding. Give me a supercharged V8 please or standard V8

• Like 3

Ford might have a better formula, making the Lightning look more like a normal F-150. Then again, everyone who buys an EV feels the need to be seen and worshipped. This very aggressive design may work out fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It would sell in California.  With that said, the pic looks like it's photoshopped.  Look at the RST badge on the front.  I don't think GM would label an EV as RST.  We'll find out in about an hour if it's the real deal. 

Edited by Transient

The design is not my thing, I think it looks kinda dopey. I liked the Avalanche, for comparison. Hate the Ridgeline. I think the Chevy current gen ICE trucks look very good in comparison to this. Perhaps the whole form without function front end design changes are polarizing to me, maybe I just think it needs a grill lol. Seems like they are trying to make a truck look like a car, but it comes out as a weird SUV with a bed.

As far as performance I think hybrids are cool, but honestly I don't see full electrics going much of anywhere longer term. They can be fun but ownership seems like it would be utilitarian only, so EV trucks probably make a lot of sense for more folks than just a car right now. All that EV tech isn't better for the environment than burning gas or diesel, so I'm not prompted to do it for the warm and fuzzies either. Hopefully viable hydrogen fuel cells or cassettes are brought to market soon, if so the boon of EV vehicles could trickle down into hydrogen hybrid vehicles. That would actually be the best of both worlds- at least outside of widespread fueling infrastructure considerations.

Edited by Truckboattruck

13 minutes ago, Truckboattruck said:

The design is not my thing, I think it looks kinda dopey. I liked the Avalanche, for comparison. Hate the Ridgeline. I think the Chevy current gen ICE trucks look very good in comparison to this. Perhaps the whole form without function front end design changes are polarizing to me, maybe I just think it needs a grill lol. Seems like they are trying to make a truck look like a car, but it comes out as a weird SUV with a bed.

As far as performance I think hybrids are cool, but honestly I don't see full electrics going much of anywhere longer term. They can be fun but ownership seems like it would be utilitarian only, so EV trucks probably make a lot of sense for more folks than just a car right now. All that EV tech isn't better for the environment than burning gas or diesel, so I'm not prompted to do it for the warm and fuzzies either. Hopefully viable hydrogen fuel cells or cassettes are brought to market soon, if so the boon of EV vehicles could trickle down into hydrogen hybrid vehicles. That would actually be the best of both worlds- at least outside of widespread fueling infrastructure considerations.

My kid played baseball this fall with another kid whose dad works at Rivian.  I spoke to him about hydrogen.  He said they looked into it and it's not happening.  I'll settle for a diesel electric hybrid, like a train.  Being a military family that moves every 3 years, plug in electric is a no go.  Not enough range.  I don't think I'll be satisfied until electric trucks can get 700 miles without a trailer.  Towing would cut that down to 250-300 miles.  Then I'll be ready to buy one. 

• Like 2