3.0 Duramax Oil Pump Belt Replacement is cheaper than I thought

****6/27/22 New info on parts and labor times - this video will be updated to provide more current info.

*** 5/16/22 - With all of the negative talk and concern over this service at 150k miles for the duramax 3.0, I felt the need to figure out how much it really would cost. And of course, I put together a quick video. Here are the details as of 5/16/2022

Based on my math (numbers may vary depending on your area

Labor $1095

Parts $ 200

GM Part Numbers

Oil Pump Belt - 55493234

Oil Pump Sprocket Bolt - Coming Soon

Rear Engine Cover - 55515618

RTV Sealant 19369831

Edited by DemonWorks
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As maintenance procedures go I’ve seen timing belt replacement cost more and needed to be done sooner. I’ve seen spark plugs cost half as much. And needed to be done sooner. It’s always best to check the total cost of ownership before you buy.

• Like 1

It is a good thing they don't offer standard transmission anymore.  For one, most can't drive them and then the cost to replace the clutch at one point and it could be way sooner then 150K.  Depending on the driver. 

Most will not keep it long enough to worry about it.  Those that do already figured it into their cost of ownership.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, DemonWorks said:

With all of the negative talk and concern over this service at 150k miles for the duramax 3.0, I felt the need to figure out how much it really would cost. And of course, I put together a quick video. Here are the details as of 5/16/2022

Based on my math (numbers may vary depending on your area

Labor $1095

Parts $ 200

GM Part Numbers

Oil Pump Belt - 55493234

Oil Pump Sprocket Bolt - Coming Soon

Rear Engine Cover - 55515618

RTV Sealant 19369831

Labor.  Your labor is off.  By a LOT.  

GM warranty time for the belt replacement.  Its 10.1hrs for 2wd, 12hrs for 4x4.  Non warranty time, its 14.1hrs for 2wd, 16.8hrs for 4x4.  Using your same $150 and the non warranty times, that is $2,115 in labor on a 2wd, $2,520 for a 4x4.

Also.  Parts.  Aside from the belt (55493234, $23.27) and sealant (19369831, $39.90), there are a couple things missing on your list.  The following are needed in addition:

Automatic Transmission Flex Plate Bolt [8x] - $3.70 ea total $29.60, p/n 11548684

Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal - $18.57 p/n 55515617

Exhaust System Front Gasket - $13.56 p/n 84763642

Oil Filter - $10.96 p/n 55495105

Transfer Case Front Output Shaft Boot Clamp (4x4 only) - $4.64 p/n 84308104

Transfer Case Adapter Gasket (4x4 only) - $11.11 p/n 86816628

Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe Seal [2x] - $5.16 ea total $10.32 p/n 23135703

Transmission Fluid Cooler Seal - $5.65ea total $11.30 p/n 25874797

You've got listed the entire rear main cover, GM does not.  At 150Kmi, I guess you could go either way with that one because of the rear main and cover issues GM has run into on this engine.  The oil pump sprocket bolt is also a re-useable item, but obviously can be replaced if it felt needed to.  $4.05 p/n 11548177.

So on a 4x4 using book time and all required parts, $150/hr, and also factoring in every part listed at MSRP including the sprocket bolt, that's $177.28 in parts, $2,520 in labor, totaling to $2,697.28.  On a 2wd, $161.53 in parts, $2,115 in labor, totaling $2,276.53.

If replacing the rear cover ($99.77 p/n 55515618) instead of re-using,  it would be $258.48 in parts on a 4x4, $2,778.48 total, or $242.73 in parts on a 2wd, $2,357.73 total.  

Also.  There are 4 GM special tools required as well.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 5

Alldata still shows the same labor time as I quoted. Warranty times were not posted at the time of my post and are up now. I'm assuming alldata will also update their times and I will update it in the future.

That's a good list you made there, I see where it came from on service information, aside from the part numbers, thanks for researching that. That's a good help for everyone.

Some special tools aren't required when replacing the front cover as a whole, as well. And my reasoning for just replacing the whole front cover is as you assumed, but that was outlined within the video itself.

Edited by DemonWorks

1 hour ago, DemonWorks said:

Alldata still shows the same labor time as I quoted. Warranty times were not posted at the time of my post and are up now. I'm assuming alldata will also update their times and I will update it in the future.

That's a good list you made there, I see where it came from on service information, aside from the part numbers, thanks for researching that. That's a good help for everyone.

Some special tools aren't required when replacing the front cover as a whole, as well. And my reasoning for just replacing the whole front cover is as you assumed, but that was outlined within the video itself.

Took me a sec to find in on there, but found it buried under oil pump.  Alldata is way off on that for sure.  3 hours less than warranty is questionable.  It is possible that when enough are replaced in the field that GM may edit their times, but Alldata almost always has procedures at a percentage over warranty, typically 40% time markup over warranty.  Another good example of how wrong they can be is just looking at the rear main seal time they show.  Nothing on the warranty time on Alldata, shows 2.2 hours to R+R the rear main seal and then has a note "After Trans Is Removed."  GM warranty time is 11.9 hours.

The tools listed are mostly for holding the balancer on the front of the engine, and then the rear main seal installer if replacing just the seal and not the whole cover.    

Also, I assume in your last sentence you meant rear cover?  Oil pump belt is at the rear of the engine, behind the rear cover.  

Edited by newdude

Correct, I did mean rear cover on my post. It's a habit, haha.

I'm going to work on an update to the video in the near future.

I found the labor times via "oil pump sprocket" regardless, the alldata times I reported are too low and it needs to be corrected on my video as well as the alldata labor time guide.

thanks for the comments/updated info !