Tire Cupping AT4

Hey all, 

Just changed the stock tires on my at4 due to horrendous vibration and humming between 70kmh and 105kmh. When I took them off I noticed pretty bad cupping on the inside of both fronts. I find it strange at 30k to have these issues. I'm all stock no lift no level on the 18 inch duratracs. Anyone else suffering from this or know why this might be happening? Want to get ahead of it while I have a fresh set before they get ruined. Thanks! 

Aggressive tires are more susceptible to cupping. If the roads you drive have lots of bumps (and larger bumps especially) the suspension articulating adds wear as well as not rotating enough. 

Make sure you get an alignment and rotate each oil change should be enough to get the most out of the tires. Probably too new to have any worn suspension parts. Aggressive tires just are hard to keep smooth, quiet and in good shape, those big voids don't play well with pavement. 

Tyler

• Like 1

Yep, had the Duratracs and when I had them replaced at 36K miles (~58K km) the tech mentioned how badly cupped they were and joked that people could probably hear me coming down the road. This is on a 2020 TrailBoss with 18" wheels. Rotated every oil change (~5K-7K miles) by the dealer. These tires are just not that great. Mine developed a loud drone and vibration between 50-60mph. My new Bridgestones are tons quieter while still giving me good off-road capability when I need it.

15 hours ago, Dirk13 said:

Did you rotate your tires?

Rotated every oil change 

15 hours ago, silveradosid said:

get the alignment checked, most of these truck are within spec but can be set better

Was thinking of doing that as the cheapest first option 

8 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Aggressive tires are more susceptible to cupping. If the roads you drive have lots of bumps (and larger bumps especially) the suspension articulating adds wear as well as not rotating enough. 

Make sure you get an alignment and rotate each oil change should be enough to get the most out of the tires. Probably too new to have any worn suspension parts. Aggressive tires just are hard to keep smooth, quiet and in good shape, those big voids don't play well with pavement. 

Tyler

Thanks Tyler, I've had mud tires on my last 2 trucks (cooper stt pro) and these duratracs are by far the worst tire I've had. Just find it strange it's only on the inside and every other tread block. Just can't wrap my head around how that can happen. 

8 hours ago, BossTaco2020 said:

Yep, had the Duratracs and when I had them replaced at 36K miles (~58K km) the tech mentioned how badly cupped they were and joked that people could probably hear me coming down the road. This is on a 2020 TrailBoss with 18" wheels. Rotated every oil change (~5K-7K miles) by the dealer. These tires are just not that great. Mine developed a loud drone and vibration between 50-60mph. My new Bridgestones are tons quieter while still giving me good off-road capability when I need it.

Seems we're in the exact same boat. Went with ko2 this go around 

6 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Cupping is concerning but the loudness is a Duratrac special . Literally the loudest AT tire you can buy . ( but very capable tire) 

It's not the loudness that bothered me I expect that with all aggressive tires. It was the vibration that really ****ed me up ahha

• Like 1

I had the exact same problem on my 2020 Trail Boss and I rotated every 8,000 miles. Two days ago I had an alignment done by the dealer and both toe and camber were out of spec. I think that the factory sets the toe in just beyond spec to make the ride feel more stable until you buy it. I had the same problem with my 2005 Tahoe. Alignment fixed it...not the tires fault.

• 6 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, BossTaco2020 said:

Same exact issue with the cupping, the mileage, and the loud drone. I'm at 50k miles right now but have had this issue since about 30k; I just refused to believe there was something wrong on a brand new truck.

I've rotated every 5k miles and the only thing that has accomplished is getting me shitty looking tires all the way around. I'm going with the KO2's soon. I ran them twice in my previous Z71 and got about 85k miles out of them each time. Only thing I don't like is that they're about 5 lb heavier than the Duratracs so I know I'll feel it at the pedal.

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Same exact issue with the cupping, the mileage, and the loud drone. I'm at 50k miles right now but have had this issue since about 30k; I just refused to believe there was something wrong on a brand new truck.

I've rotated every 5k miles and the only thing that has accomplished is getting me shitty looking tires all the way around. I'm going with the KO2's soon. I ran them twice in my previous Z71 and got about 85k miles out of them each time. Only thing I don't like is that they're about 5 lb heavier than the Duratracs so I know I'll feel it at the pedal.

I've had KO2s on my old Tacoma and they were great tires that looked great too. You won't go wrong with them!

I realized I'm one of "those guys" who buys a lifted 4x4 pickup truck, only to drive it around town and on the highways 🤣. I do go offroad to my cabin, but not enough to justify needing MT tires all the time. So I went with a more street-looking AT tire and I've been very pleased with them. Enough traction for when I do go offroading and quiet enough during the 99.99% of the driving I normally do on the road.

• Like 1

What's amazing is that every 2wd T1 truck I see has horrible camber.  Just riding along beside them on the highway I can see the front wheel cambered inward.  After first noticing this shortly after purchasing my truck, I started to observe it on almost every 2wd truck, and quite a few stock suspended Z71/X31 packages.  I never notice it on stock TB's or lifted 4WD's, but darn near every 2WD Silverado will have horrible camber, even the 2023.  My father's brand new 2023 2WD Silverado has visible camber issues that can clearly be seen and it has less than 1k miles on it.  I'm really not sure why GM would engineer them to be this out of alignment from the factory.

16 hours ago, Gangly said:

I'm really not sure why GM would engineer them to be this out of alignment from the factory.

It sells tires and it sells services. I'll bet pennies to a pound of cat scat that this visible camber is still 'In Spec'. Thus, not warranty but service.  It isn't just 2WD trucks. Most the SUV's have all four at near a degree negative camber. Tire eaters.