Wireless charging

On 11/30/2017 at 8:37 PM, rtreptow7 said:

So after messing around with this forever, I think I finally have it working.  I have a 2017 Denali HD that came with the wireless charger that wouldn't work with my iPhone 8.  I ordered the wireless charger module for a 2018 Denali HD part number 13521066 from needgmparts.com.  (On edit: I had to email the company as the part number was not listed or found in a search). It was 97.65 plus shipping. The new charger module has a different plug but uses the same 3 wires. I ordered the new plug from Mouser electronics part number 571-2035363-4 . It cost 71 cents.  I easily unpinned the old connector.  When installing the new connector, the pins on the wires had a little "nub" sticking out on one side that wouldn't allow me to slide it into the new connector.  I took a small pliers and just squeezed these "nubs" down so they were flush.  The pins then slid in easily and clicked in place securely. Plugged the new wireless module in and put the lid for the center console back together and it seems to be working the way it should now.  Little green lightning bolt shows up on the screen when phone is on the charge pad.  I can pick the phone up, set it back down and it starts charging again immediately.   Thanks to all the users on here for the information they provided regarding the parts, connectors, correct part numbers, etc. 

new module below

DD88798F-2939-4EC3-A4E4-7C009374AD1A.jpeg

Here is the FCC filing information for this module, including a user manual and photographs of the inside:

https://fccid.io/BEJWC900A05

On 11/30/2017 at 7:37 PM, rtreptow7 said:

So after messing around with this forever, I think I finally have it working.  I have a 2017 Denali HD that came with the wireless charger that wouldn't work with my iPhone 8.  I ordered the wireless charger module for a 2018 Denali HD part number 13521066 from needgmparts.com.  (On edit: I had to email the company as the part number was not listed or found in a search). It was 97.65 plus shipping. The new charger module has a different plug but uses the same 3 wires. I ordered the new plug from Mouser electronics part number 571-2035363-4 . It cost 71 cents.  I easily unpinned the old connector.  When installing the new connector, the pins on the wires had a little "nub" sticking out on one side that wouldn't allow me to slide it into the new connector.  I took a small pliers and just squeezed these "nubs" down so they were flush.  The pins then slid in easily and clicked in place securely. Plugged the new wireless module in and put the lid for the center console back together and it seems to be working the way it should now.  Little green lightning bolt shows up on the screen when phone is on the charge pad.  I can pick the phone up, set it back down and it starts charging again immediately.   Thanks to all the users on here for the information they provided regarding the parts, connectors, correct part numbers, etc. 

new module below

DD88798F-2939-4EC3-A4E4-7C009374AD1A.jpeg

Thank you for posting this. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone and rtreptow7 for doing the research and legwork on getting the part numbers for the new 2018 charging module and the associated connector part with Mouser.

I finally got my module today, and will include some additional pictures to complement the ones rtreptow7 posted.

Box of the module, and the module itself:

GM 13521066 Box.jpg

GM 13521066 plug.jpg

GM 13521066  top of unit.jpg

Here is the connector from Mouser,  571-2035363-4 , for the new unit.  This is needed for the new charging module.  The old plug will not fit at all into the new module, so this new connector is needed.  When it arrives from Mouser, all the pieces are attached.  I personally found it easier installing the wires into the new connector with the big red piece off the end removed.  To do that, simply use a small flathead screwdriver and carefully pry up the sides.  It will come right off.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Edited by Bangback

The old connector is shown here, which is white with a red component.  First note the color of the wires and which slots they are in.  Don't pay attention to the bars on the connector.  They are on different sides from the old connector to the new connector, and they will just confuse you.  Just pay attention to where the push lever is on top of the connector and note that the wires are in the left 3 holes.  They will go in the same left three holes on the new connector, with the push lever on top.

First thing you will want to do is to remove the red plastic piece.  I used a small flathead precision screwdriver.  Just push on the middle red tab and push it outward.  It will take some force, but the piece should slowly slide out, as seen in the pictures below.

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Make sure your ignition is off as well as the radio.  Once the red piece is off,  look deep within the connector and you will see white tabs over the tops of the metal pins, from looking into the end of the plug where the charging module pins plug in.  Gently take your precision flathead screwdriver and lift up a little bit on the white tab.  The wire should now easily pull out from the back of the connector.  It shouldn't take too much force.  If it doesn't easily come out, you may not have the white tab lifted high enough.  NOTE when you remove the wire, remember how the metal crimp pin is oriented in the old plug.  You will be plugging into the new connector with this same orientation.  Also try not to touch the wires together and short anything out, just in case there is power.  Temporarily taping them apart so they don't touch isn't a bad idea. 

You will then see the "nub" on the metal piece that rtreptow7 referred to earlier.  It is shown in the picture below of the metal crimp pin, on the top side.  This needs to be compressed a little bit with pliers or use your flathead screwdriver to press in the nub.  If you don't press this in, it will be very difficult to slide the metal piece into the new plug.  The picture shown of the metal crimped wire is the correct orientation as if you are looking straight down from the top of the connector.  This "nub" will look like it's on the right side of the pin when placed into the new connector.

Again, on the new connector, I entirely removed the red end piece for installation.  Just lift the sides of the red piece with the screwdriver and it will pop right off.

After you press in the "nub" on metal crimp pin, just slide it in, and listen for an audible "click".  Check the end of the connector and you should see the metal pin go all the way to the back of the new plug.  Do this for all 3 wires, make sure you have the colors in the right spots, then put the red piece back on the end. 

The new module is an exact fit to where the old module is.  It bolts right on with the same screws.  Plug your new connector in and test.  It should now work!  Good luck!

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Edited by Bangback

Do you know the difference between your new one and 13507652?

Someone posted part # 13507652, but no one seemed to have a pic of it. That’s when the actual module part # 13521066 started to surface.

I don’t have a pic of 13507652. The bottom two modules here are the same.

de7cdbb06d13b181f6df0d01ab395741.jpg

b3c102b392d31b72988b8ee78b6cea9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Someone posted part # 13507652, but no one seemed to have a pic of it. That’s when the actual module part # 13521066 started to surface.

I don’t have a pic of 13507652. The bottom two modules here are the same.

de7cdbb06d13b181f6df0d01ab395741.jpg

b3c102b392d31b72988b8ee78b6cea9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know that the new design has 3 coils!  That should make it less critical as to where to place the phone for the optimal charging position.

I haven't done any testing  yet with charge times with the new charger.  I do have the latest version of iOS on the iPhone X, which should have 7.5W wireless charging enabled.  I could try to capture some charging times, but won't know for sure what the actual voltage and wattage coming in is.  In about 10 minutes or less on a short drive I took, the phone went from 70% to 73%, from what I've seen so far.  

Edited by Bangback