What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Took my truck in yesterday yet again to see if they can figure out this shake issue.  If the dealer fails yet again then it's going to a drive line shop and if they say everything checks out I'm just going to put a whole new rear end under the darn thing.  Tired of the truck shaking and being in and out of the shop.  No way my cousin is going to be able to sit in the passenger seat with the truck shaking that bad for our trip to VA next month.  Dealer won't even put the sunshade up for me either so my dash better not crack.  I've been going there the next day or two after dropping it off and putting it up myself.  Really sucks because the staff is great, just frustrating when they don't write what I say down so it never makes it back to the techs.  Which leads to screw ups, which are never in my favor.

The loaner they gave me has fully automatic headlights.  Turns the brights on and off, pretty interesting, and surprisingly works.  I think this thing has the 9 spd in it too, at least I see L9 when I go manual.  Took me a while to figure out why the car shook or felt like it was surging at traffic lights, it has start/stop thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Changed rear brakes. The EBCs didn’t hold up for nothing

Also coated the truck today

Ryan B.

How many miles?

That's part of the trade-off with EBC - you trade life for more stopping power. Just like Sylvania Silverstars - they don't last at all, but they're as bright as the sun at night. 

Mine lasted just about as long as the OE's did  - 32k miles give or take (actually the OE's lasted less than that, since I had 5 or 6 brake jobs under warranty), and I ran them right down to nothing. They don't make rear shoes for my '07, so only had them on the front. Yellowstuff. They grab GREAT. I won't put any other pad on this truck, since I drive the thing like a sportscar, plus I tow pretty heavy occasionally - got to be able to get that 6k lbs. stopped, especially around here.

5bc890ffdefcb_EBCbrakesSilverado.jpg.cee926352d8df88d9b1eb87e934b127a.jpg

IMG_8702.thumb.JPG.cdda7de5eeacfdf4b1b74162ad25044a.JPG

3 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Took my truck in yesterday yet again to see if they can figure out this shake issue.  If the dealer fails yet again then it's going to a drive line shop and if they say everything checks out I'm just going to put a whole new rear end under the darn thing.  Tired of the truck shaking and being in and out of the shop.  No way my cousin is going to be able to sit in the passenger seat with the truck shaking that bad for our trip to VA next month.  Dealer won't even put the sunshade up for me either so my dash better not crack.  I've been going there the next day or two after dropping it off and putting it up myself.  Really sucks because the staff is great, just frustrating when they don't write what I say down so it never makes it back to the techs.  Which leads to screw ups, which are never in my favor.

The loaner they gave me has fully automatic headlights.  Turns the brights on and off, pretty interesting, and surprisingly works.  I think this thing has the 9 spd in it too, at least I see L9 when I go manual.  Took me a while to figure out why the car shook or felt like it was surging at traffic lights, it has start/stop thing.

That's a dealership story that's become all too familiar the past 10+ years. I went through the same crap with my '07! Sorry to hear that.

13 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Sorry, havent been on a while....Is your truck a dually?  And you put beads in the tires like me?

I had to abandon beads in tires on my 2013 dually, basically the rears tires side by side were fighting each other.  I vaccumed out the beads and went back to the lead wheel weights.

On my 2500 

I havent went and picked up the truck yet but this is what I had done on the 2010.
1687_zpshoccipvv.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=cl

1688_zps3rp06oe7.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=cl

Sorry, havent been on a while....Is your truck a dually?  And you put beads in the tires like me?

I had to abandon beads in tires on my 2013 dually, basically the rears tires side by side were fighting each other.  I vaccumed out the beads and went back to the lead wheel weights.

On my 2500 
I havent went and picked up the truck yet but this is what I had done on the 2010.
1687_zpshoccipvv.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
1688_zps3rp06oe7.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
Yeah it's a dually. I tried beads, they didn't solve my problem, had them removed and went back to wheel weights. Doesn't matter who balances my tires, I've had 4 different shops try, truck still shakes. I still think it has something to do with the bearings. I can't tell what you've done from the pics.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

26K miles on the rear pads :fume:

Definitely low for rears, for sure. Then again, I haven't really seen any really high mile numbers out of rear discs on GMs. Back when everything had drum rears, you'd get 2-3 front brake jobs for every rear brake job. Seems about half that for disc.

I remember the '99's had nothing but parking brake problems around here, along with frozen calipers. I also had nothing but trouble with the rear calipers on my '00 Jimmy. I was glad to see drums on the back when I bought my '07.

Finished my dad's boat, finally - it's only been here 12 weeks. My brother had ran it through a pile of rocks out in the dead center of a huge lake up in ME - I guess nobody marks the rock piles, since they want to keep the area natural. Fantastic - just cost my brother over $500 to fix this one. Ripped the skeg right off the bottom of the lower unit of the outboard.

Ended up taking a big gamble and buying a new lower unit from a Russian website called Megazip - they came through! Got the unit straight from Japan in 4 days! Suzuki 20HP outboard. Just had to swap the gears, studs, anodes, and water pump assy. over. Pretty easy job.

Then, I rolled a set of truck wheels down the hill here to save time ... and of course, 3 out of the 4 went right into my brand new building. Just my luck. Spent an hour and a half fixing that yesterday. Don't look as pretty, but it's water tight again. Didn't get good "before" pics, but you can see part of the old siding with the tread marks on the ground in the pic - took that one after I was halfway done. A phone call and a bunch of texts interrupted me, so might as well snap a pic.

Siding shattered! Guess even siding ain't what it used to be these days. I've done worse to the 30 year old siding on the house!

downsize.jpg.f51ea2a86057e23b77564d2392a73646.jpg

1018181332.thumb.jpg.8ffb91ac05a169d5c1ab256dd080ea09.jpg

1018181426.thumb.jpg.9446d82064f4f1748df2f0fb3cfd12dd.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt

I guess down here we don't go through brakes. 90k factory brakes on my 01 2500HD and 112k on the 06 2500HD when I sold them. If the dang dealership had listened and written down when I said multiple times do not drive my truck because the hub isn't on properly, I'd still have the factory brakes at 82k on my dually. Instead I now have a new RR rotor and 4 new pads in the rear. That was a fun exercise in restraint when I saw what the service guy wrote down for the techs, nothing close to what I said. Then there was the bill...

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk