What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

They have always used stick on weights. First time I went there they said that’s all they used. This is why I didn’t say anything. Their excuse this time was these hold better. I have always had issues with the press on (corrosion and flying off)

Ryan B.

I use regular weights like that unless I'm told specifically not to. If I'm not told, it's getting traditional wheel weights. Stick-ons take almost double the amount of time to clean the rim (at least up here) and apply. I hate the damn things - all the new stuff requires them, since there's no lip for traditional weights, then you have to set the machine up for whatever position they will run in - an extra step. It all takes time. 

The stuff has become so expensive that most shops just buy the common sizes, so you'll end up with 4-6 weights instead of one, big 3-ouncer. I keep all the old big ones and reuse them for that reason. A tap with the hammer to ensure a tight fit, and they're good to go.

Motor oil works great on really faded stuff (white-looking) ... but makes a mess.

Lucky for me,  I don't own a single set of nice clothes, so no worries brushing up against it. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Get home and notice this emoji35.png

06762132030246b748d112a675640813.jpg

Ryan B.

I be pissed,  WTH is the reason for four.  Seems like an idiot put the tire on.   Well you have 4 corrision points on that wheel now.

Unfortunately, the wheel will corrode anyway, weights or no weights.

Mine corroded in 6 years, nowhere near where the weights were. GM used some real high end clear coat on these ... :rolleyes:

IMG_9327.thumb.JPG.9aea4451e5e0496fb6b970f9cdf7185d.JPG

Anyone working in a tire shop isn't making that much money. They're told to get the job done, and move on to the next one - they're not going to search the entire shop for the correct weights when their already low pay is based on how many vehicles they get in and out in a shift. They can't read your mind, and they also don't get to decide how to do their job - the boss TELLS them how it's to be done. If there are no 2, or 2.25 ounce weights, you use what you have to balance the tire. If the customer doesn't request stick on weights, you're getting traditional ones, because it's faster. Besides that, the tech isn't in charge of ordering & stocking weights - you use what you've got at hand to get the job done.

At least the rim isn't all scratched - I've seen people get fired, and the shop eating a set of wheels. Most of these places train the rookies before tossing them to the wolves, but shit happens. 

Low pay or not, if the shop offers both and they pull off the stick-on weights, they'd better be putting stick-on weights back on. And if a shop isn't offering both, they are losing business. Both my 20's and 22's will not take the traditional lip weights. There is no lip to mount them to.

In that case, obviously they're not going to try and pound on traditional weights. I don't think we've quite reached THAT stage of stupidity ..yet ... :lol:

I should have clarified - if it came in with stick on, it will leave with stick on, at least in my shop. 

Drove down to my buddy's place and the DIC gave me a service trailer brake system while in traffic. I wasn't towing anything... I'm starting to wonder if payments would be better than putting up with this damn shaking. Plus all the time and money spent chasing the solution.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

Just got home a little bit ago, but yesterday (11/3) I drove to the Stryper Concert in Santa Clarita, and today (11/4), I drove home from the concert.  I’d post a video of it (no pictures) but it’s a hour and a half long video. 

• Like 1

Figured out the cause of the trailer system warning. We hooked the compressors to the post on the fuse box. Well apparently that is fused by a 30a and a 40a fuses. Those were blown. Put new fuses in and changed the power source for the compressors to the battery terminal. Problem solved! Well one problem.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk