2014+ Suspension Lifts

20 hours ago, Armo325 said:

I’m looking to put an add-a-leaf on my 2017 LT Z71 but I’m concerned it will make the rear too stiff. Are you happy with the rear suspension with the extra leaf?

Yes, I'm very happy with the ride after the add-a-leaf. I was expecting  a stiff/harsh ride, but it's amazingly compliant. Not much different than stock, except I can feel the rumble from the tire tread at low speeds(10-20mph). Looking forward to the add-a-leaf when towing the Camper(6000lbs).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie Schuddekopf said:

Yes, I'm very happy with the ride after the add-a-leaf. I was expecting  a stiff/harsh ride, but it's amazingly compliant. Not much different than stock, except I can feel the rumble from the tire tread at low speeds(10-20mph). Looking forward to the add-a-leaf when towing the Camper(6000lbs).

I think that’s what took the most getting used to for myself my friend was the feeling of the tread vibrations at low speeds. It was like you can feel each nub grip the road haha

6 hours ago, Hugom1718 said:

Yeah this the first truck I own,

the tire setup 

305/55/20 toyo AT 

I had a 2.5 leveling kit with the same rims and tire and the truck run smooth 

i decided to get a bigger lift 

now the ride sucks 

t

with the spindle 5in + 2in from coilovers would be at 7inch 

i had them lower a inch so it would at 6inch So I could run the tire already had

i

A lot of guys run lifts and love them.  Lift kits can consist simply of shocks and blocks.  Or on the other end of the spectrum, they can consist of top shelf coilovers, bulletproof control arms and torsion bars, etc.   The ride quality varies a lot from one kit to the next.  Generally, if it's a really stiff ride, it was designed for towing in mind.  You want that stiffness if you have a 15k lb. trailer attached.  Your half ton was originally geared more for a smooth ride.  

My '17 3500 had a pretty smooth ride from the factory.  And I did NOT want to lift it.  I wanted to keep the stock Geometry.  So even though I chose a bigger tire (295/70/18), I chose to try them bone stock and they fit!  So I went in the opposite direction and I'm still happy with the ride quality.  If your tires cleared with your previous suspension and you like the ride quality better, you could switch back to that set-up.  Your suspension and drivetrain will likely last a bit longer without the lift also. 

Just my 2¢  Like I said, there a great lift kits out there.  I'm not knocking them.  But they do cost money.  Upfront and in the long run too.  And not much looks cooler than 37" mod boggers on a truck with a 8" lift.  

1 hour ago, CovetedStyle said:

I think that’s what took the most getting used to for myself my friend was the feeling of the tread vibrations at low speeds. It was like you can feel each nub grip the road haha

I was shocked at that too.  My Mickey T Baja MTZ p3 feel like they are magnetically stuck to the road.  Like a buch of thick suction cups. I love it.  

• Like 1

A lot of guys run lifts and love them.  Lift kits can consist simply of shocks and blocks.  Or on the other end of the spectrum, they can consist of top shelf coilovers, bulletproof control arms and torsion bars

I think you mean traction bars lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Hugom1718 said:

Yeah this the first truck I own,

the tire setup 

305/55/20 toyo AT 

I had a 2.5 leveling kit with the same rims and tire and the truck run smooth 

i decided to get a bigger lift 

now the ride sucks 

t

with the spindle 5in + 2in from coilovers would be at 7inch 

i had them lower a inch so it would at 6inch So I could run the tire already had

i

A lot of guys run lifts and love them.  Lift kits can consist simply of shocks and blocks.  Or on the other end of the spectrum, they can consist of top shelf coilovers, bulletproof control arms and torsion bars, etc.   The ride quality varies a lot from one kit to the next.  Generally, if it's a really stiff ride, it was designed for towing in mind.  You want that stiffness if you have a 15k lb. trailer attached.  Your half ton was originally geared more for a smooth ride.  

My '17 3500 had a pretty smooth ride from the factory.  And I did NOT want to lift it.  I wanted to keep the stock Geometry.  So even though I chose a bigger tire (295/70/18), I chose to try them bone stock and they fit!  So I went in the opposite direction and I'm still happy with the ride quality.  If your tires cleared with your previous suspension and you like the ride quality better, you could switch back to that set-up.  Your suspension and drivetrain will likely last a bit longer without the lift also. 

Just my 2¢  Like I said, there a great lift kits out there.  I'm not knocking them.  But they do cost money.  Upfront and in the long run too.  And not much looks cooler than 37" mod boggers on a truck with a 8" lift.  

That’s great that you’ve found your perfect notch. About a year ago I too had a new DMax that was used specifically for towing and even though spent close to $10K on making sure it towed extremely well adding drivability comfort I too never lifted it. But, that said, buying the top of the line lift doesn’t mean you’ll be spending more down the road. It just means that you spend a bit more now so you don’t have to spend more later.

Sent from above

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s great that you’ve found your perfect notch. About a year ago I too had a new DMax that was used specifically for towing and even though spent close to $10K on making sure it towed extremely well adding drivability comfort I too never lifted it. But, that said, buying the top of the line lift doesn’t mean you’ll be spending more down the road. It just means that you spend a bit more now so you don’t have to spend more later.

Sent from above

I see your point. I wasn’t referring to more down the road repairs on the lift components. But the change in geometry does affect wear at some point for driveline parts. And a lift means bigger tires. Those alone are gonna burn through u joints, drive shafts, 1/2 shafts, cv joints, etc. maybe not until 150k. But sooner than if you left it stock. 

I see your point. I wasn’t referring to more down the road repairs on the lift components. But the change in geometry does affect wear at some point for driveline parts. And a lift means bigger tires. Those alone are gonna burn through u joints, drive shafts, 1/2 shafts, cv joints, etc. maybe not until 150k. But sooner than if you left it stock. 

Try to Imagine lifting your truck, just lifting it without affecting your stock components. Used to be that you’d get the lifted look but not the off-road lift. You see, you can have the lifted truck and then you can have an off-road capable lifted truck. All vehicles have a perfect geometry, but then you start using them as per advertised and then they’re not perfect. Everyone modifies their vehicle whether being a sports car, SUVs or Pickup in order to get the most out of it.

Sent from above

• 2 weeks later...
2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain 8 inch Mcgaughys lift in toyos open country r/t4c4088e76c6be7bc3f0bf3df70fc3157.jpg

What’s your setup, coilovers, piggybacks and how many miles on your RT’s and your input on them??

Sent from above

2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain 8 inch Mcgaughys lift in toyos open country r/t4c4088e76c6be7bc3f0bf3df70fc3157.jpg

That truck is gorgeous! Very nicely done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What’s your setup, coilovers, piggybacks and how many miles on your RT’s and your input on them??

Sent from above

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain did the 7-9 inch Mcgaughys lift kit I had it set at 8 inches high with the rear traction bars and upper control arms all by Mcgaughys, wheels are 20x10 -12 offset Fuel Mavericks and tires are 35/12.50/r20 Toyo open country R/T also have the amp research power steps, backflip revolver bed cover, recon tail lights and recon 3rd light brake, pro comp 40 inch light bar custom OEM headlights with the switch back led boards and demon lights, recon bullet antenna, Morimoto fog lamps, Borla s-type exhaust, k&n air intake black gmc logos z71 grille emblem, window visors and last the weather tech oem gmc floor mats. tires are quiet and drive smooth tires very new coil over in the future ef867c85cb3c9c7f89211706d3e8e4a8.jpg979d4f1191d62ecbff02aeb27b4fe368.jpgfcd8faa58e8a718cccc0ab410f381bb9.jpg79a418f19c9ec50214f730dd7479ea33.jpg6638dd8f1c118caf14fc95ca76548cb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkd4d830f8c44f3775f977622ae5d50a83.jpg6c412cad207a8a790de2256d2c49b743.jpg3e06f673dd283c2355b4819ded2fd9bd.jpgfc158d56dc8c1f5f72f6202538bd203a.jpge4d88cfd572693f34ea96a53df8f75f9.jpg30ceb8e22305955618f04556451baab8.jpg

• Like 3