2014 Silverado/Sierra Tips and Tricks

Changing oil on a newer vehicle at 3000 is a huge waste in money, time, and most important the oil. We only have so much to go around and new car run way more efficient and put way pollutants into the oil. Plus running semi or full synthetic oils will give you longer than 3000 mile life because the additive package in the oil does not break down as quick. We all need to take a step forward in the way we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I'm not a so called "green" guy. I could care less. I'm not planning to change every 3000 miles every time. I'm doing it this time to get the factory oil with all the metal shavings and break in crap out of the crank case. Is that so hard to grasp or is there a reason I shouldn't do that either? There are folks on this forum that offer their opinions as the "gospel" so forgive me if I disregard most of them since I'm not buying it. I try to be as polite as possible but there comes a point where I just have to laugh and move on. I believe this oil change thing is one of those times.

Tapatalk via iPhone 5s

• Like 5

To each his own, but the "every 3000 miles" hasn't been accurate/relevant in decades.

These automotive engineers man, you send them to school and train them on the job for years and years give them technology that is light years ahead of anything the world has ever seen and they just seem to not learn anydangthing................my grand pappy taught me to change the oil on a new car or truck at the first 500 miles back when I was knee high to a grasshopper, that way you cleaned out all the chicken feathers and tobacco spit that the people on the assembly line left inside the engine. Ole grand pappy was smart like that, just like Tom here. He knew that no matter how efficient and well designed and how many microns a modern oil filter has that those chicken feathers and baccer spit would ruin his engine. We all know that technology has been stalled since the 1960's barely even moved. LMFAO

• Like 4

Really bigblzr94? You have or have had these trucks,

2014 Silverado Crew Z71 SB

1999 GMC Suburban K2500 4X4 7.4L

1997 Chevy C1500 Extra Cab Prerunner

1994 Chevy Blazer 2 Door Fullsize 4X4 Z71

and you are worried about our lack of crude? :D

You are probably right, Most people don't need an oil change every 3k, but going the full miles of the oil life monitors is worse imo. Thirty one years in the dealership has proven that to me. I know oil change opinions very and for many reasons. Myself, I usually go about 4k. Fuel injection has the single biggest reason for longer engine life. Carbs and chokes seemed great at the time but now seem ridiculously inefficient. I would NEVER go 7 to 10,000 mile on an oil change!

It may have been posted here, but I didn't recall seeing it.

I was poking around with the features today and ran across a mirror setting. It tilts the side mirrors down when the truck is in reverse so you can see the parking lane or curbs. I thought this was a feature, but wasn't told about it by the dealer. The truck has so much going on, I can't blame the salesman for not mentioning it.

From the what I understand in the postings, "Rain" may have a legitimate issue. If his "Dad" doesn't show up in his master contact list in the DIC, he will never be able to get it to show up on any list in the truck. Rich, if your Dad's number isn't showing up in your contact list on the DIC, there has to be some smple reason, it other contacts are there. You might try reloading your Dad's number in your phone contacts again, then see if it transfers through bluetooth to the DIC. I absolutely don't understand how one specific number will not come through if others are. Good luck buddy.

The new car delivery manager at the Chevy dealer showed me how to set a favorite from my contact list, and i love it. It's pretty neat, on my first row favorites, I have my wife's cell, our home number on the second, and my favorite FM station on the third, and two XM stations on the 4th and 5th button. If I want to call home, all I have to do is touch the "Home" button and the call goes through. It is definitely the best use of bluetooth I have ever seen in a vehicle. It is much easier than voice command in our Mercedes.

Please explain how to add contacts to favorites, still can't figure it out?

Please explain how to add contacts to favorites, still can't figure it out?

Sorry man, I have forgotten how to do it. It's been over three months since I have added anything. I'll go by my dealer and get my guy to show me again. I go down there all the time. I'll let you know. I just tried ofr ten minutes. After I turned 60 a few years ago, I realized if I don't pracice a new procedure often I wil forget it in a couple days. That's exactly what happened here.

Hey I never said I was green I just know how oil and lube perform and you could say I know a thing or two about the internal combustion engine. Yes I have gas hog trucks yes I change a lot of oil but I do it when it's due. Just have your old oil sent for analysis and you will see that you leave a lot on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Agreed it is very disgusting since I cannot wash my baby since it is so cold.

I have to go back and figure out how I set up these silly weather alerts now!!!!! they keep popping up and informing me of impending weather watches and warnings jeez louise enough already. Too many electronic gizmos

you can turn those weather alerts off on the touch screen by the way.

you can turn those weather alerts off on the touch screen by the way.

Yes, go to settings on the in dash unit and scroll through. It may be under the convenience feature then alerts. If you need more info, I can check again.

Hey I never said I was green I just know how oil and lube perform and you could say I know a thing or two about the internal combustion engine. Yes I have gas hog trucks yes I change a lot of oil but I do it when it's due. Just have your old oil sent for analysis and you will see that you leave a lot on the table. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Without divulging all the details, I happen to work in an area that is highly critical of lubricant performance, and we have significant analysis tools available to us. Here's a common myth - Oil wears out. Well, it doesn't. It just doesn't!

HOWEVER...it most certainly can get dirty, remain dirty, pick up moisture, can be carbonized by excessive heat and several of the all important additives such as detergents DO get used up.

I colleague of mine has an old chevy diesel that he hasn't changed the oil in for over 300k miles. About once a month he tests the oil and adds in the additives which it's low on, and he's added an ultra efficient filtration system. And no, he's not just babying it to church and back. Works in a N-A-S-T-Y environment in terms of engines. When asked he proudly displays the test proof that his 9 year old 300k+ oil will outperform fresh off the shelf Mobil 1.

Someone mentioned fuel injection as an improvement, and it most certainly has been. In addition, tighter ring/seal tolerances has reduced blowby into the oil pan, more even temperatures all over has reduced carbonizing in hard to reach/low flow areas, filtration systems are light years better as is the overall oil flow system, combustion chambers are light years beyond the old hemi days, bearing technology has improved, all aluminum blocks, egr that works, improved pcv systems...list goes on.

• Like 5