2014 Silverado/Sierra Tips and Tricks

That is not an engine cover. That is the air intake baffling. The engine covers go around the area of the valve covers on either side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you have a more precise picture of it then?

Cant remember exactly how but this did work!!

Happened up on it by accident !

You can tag a song on radio and next time an ipod or next device is plugged to or paired with it will store song in your song list. It may be possible that it has to physically be plugged in USB port to do this as I havnt really tried very hard to fig this out but I did delete the WakaFlaka shit off my phone after I tagged it and noticed it on my Iphone4s the next day!!

Also in case anyone wants to race and power brake the truck! Always turn off t/c button because this feature will reduce power if you try to brake torque engine or stall engine up at all! Kinda a no brainer but jst FYI!!!

I broke the impeller shaft that runs the Power brakes and power steering pump (one pump for both) in an ’09 6.2 doing that. Left a 60’ hole shot one day that started with power braking it, when I let up on it and hit the brakes, (because I was coming up on an intersection!) the anti lock brakes thumped 4 or 5 times, then a huge bang and the pedal to the floor. No brakes or steering! Won’t be doing that again!

• Like 1

It appears I have the cover, but right in front of my windshield washer reservoir there's an empty tray that looks like a battery tray. What is it?attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396626209509.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396626228337.jpg

Yes that is the original battery location. I was told they moved it to the current location in front of the passenger so the battery has a better chance of surviving a frontal crash. This way onstar has power after a crash. As others have pointed out people with the earlier gen trucks added an extra battery in the system at that location.

Also as for the cover. You see the bolt that has the small ball at the top of it on the right front of the "cover". There are 4 of those I believe. That is where the Cadillac cover pictured above snaps onto. None of the pictures so far have a cover except the Cadillac one.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner
  • Like 1

I don't see anything in those 5.3 pics that looks like a cover? What am I missing here?

None of them except the Cadillac picture have a cover. As I stated before. This engine family is the same for several new vehicles so the bolt is standard issue. If they add a cover it has a place to snap onto. If they don't add one then the bolt is just made that way and left alone.

I did a search and did not see this anywhere, but it's entirely possible it's somewhere in the 278 replies to this thread.

Anyway, you can rename the radio stations to whatever you want. So when it shows up on the favorites bar, it will show up as ESPN instead of 97.5, or KIKK instead of 100.3-2.

Also, you can set a Pandora radio station as a favorite in the favorites bar and if you're listening to regular broadcast radio and you hit the favorite where you stored the Pandora station, it will automatically switch you to Pandora.

Edited by surebuttercringe

Here's how...

Page 100 of the Silverado Infotainment System manual says under Settings,

Radio

Manage Favorites: Press to highlight a favorite to edit. Press Rename to rename the favorite or Delete to delete it. Press and hold the station to drag it to a new location. Press Done to go back to the previous menu.

Press to display the Radio Menu

and the following may display:

Edited by chuckl1218
  • Like 2

Here's how...

Page 100 of the Silverado Infotainment System manual says under Settings,

Radio

Manage Favorites: Press to highlight a favorite to edit. Press Rename to rename the favorite or Delete to delete it. Press and hold the station to drag it to a new location. Press Done to go back to the previous menu.

Press to display the Radio Menu

and the following may display:

This ability to rename stations is especially powerful for XM stations, as their 2 & 3 digit station numbers are not easy to associate with their station name. I am still fine-tuning my main page of XM favorites. If only I could find a way to display 15 favorites without blocking the artist info.

stationnames.jpg

I think you can press the Auto button & then the A/C button to turn it off. But, the only time I tried that, the heat fluctuated a lot. I've always just left all my vehicles on Auto & that seems to work best. It probably has to do with humidity control too.

The reason the A/C turns on is that it is a much faster defogger for the the windshield, A/C works by removing the moisture out of the air. It does not attempt to make the vehicle colder it pulls the dampness out of the air a "de-humidifier" all new vehicles will do this while in the defrost selection if it has A/C.

They have gone from the 1.5 mm to 1.2mm rings. They are pushing them the ring stack up the piston and going to lower tension rings. These are all increasing blow by into the crank case. Now research the Dexos oil. It is a rating GM came up with to deal with even more blow by because turbo charging and direct injection because these also increase blow by. Ever wonder why these motors have the 8 quart capacity up from the old motors? Also to deal with the extra blow by. With all of this in mind I'd say between 4 and 5 thousand miles would be a good changing point. Towing and driving hard on the 4 side and light work on the 5 side.

More important than when to change would be the lack of ZDDP's in modern oils. Now there are less high friction points, but still it really is the part that could take the loads and is my biggest concern.

My deal gives unlimited oil changes with the new purchase, so I guess things are different all together. They said they recommend every 5000 miles to change the oil.

Oh, one other thing. Someone was talking about limited oil supply and synthetic in the same post. You do do know they synthesize the synthetic oils? (it's man made). Also, they do now recycle both normal and synthetic oils.

I think the other reason the motor uses 8 quarts is it uses oil pressure to control the variable valve timing.

Not exactly technical and maybe mentioned elsewhere........when i bought my '14 1W/T last Saturday , the dealer offered a GM under the rail bedliner to me at his cost. -269.00 installed.

I politely passed.

Today I found out that one off of a wrecked 2010 is basically the same item, the only difference being the tailgate piece on the '14 is flat, compared to cupped behind the handle on the '10.

One slightly used GM bedliner - 25 bucks.

• Like 1