2014 Silverado/Sierra Tips and Tricks

Anyone notice little pegs on the top of the engine that look like they are for an engine cover? or am I just missing mine? haha

Yup I noticed them about a week ago. I have looked at many trucks online and have not seen anything installed there. I just figured that bolt is standard to the engine family and other vehicles have a cover as noted on the Cadillac in the post above. Maybe the Tahoe and Yukon will have one that will fit the trucks. Probably be expensive though.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner

I am working out of town so probably would be a few days till I see him again so I found these pics online. If you have the 5.3 and dont have the engine cover you should have and would have the dealership give you one not buy one.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

post-129164-139658100139_thumb.jpg

post-129164-139658101191_thumb.jpg

post-129164-139658108012_thumb.jpg

post-129164-139658110646_thumb.jpg

This. Without divulging all the details, I happen to work in an area that is highly critical of lubricant performance, and we have significant analysis tools available to us. Here's a common myth - Oil wears out. Well, it doesn't. It just doesn't!

HOWEVER...it most certainly can get dirty, remain dirty, pick up moisture, can be carbonized by excessive heat and several of the all important additives such as detergents DO get used up.

I colleague of mine has an old chevy diesel that he hasn't changed the oil in for over 300k miles. About once a month he tests the oil and adds in the additives which it's low on, and he's added an ultra efficient filtration system. And no, he's not just babying it to church and back. Works in a N-A-S-T-Y environment in terms of engines. When asked he proudly displays the test proof that his 9 year old 300k+ oil will outperform fresh off the shelf Mobil 1.

Someone mentioned fuel injection as an improvement, and it most certainly has been. In addition, tighter ring/seal tolerances has reduced blowby into the oil pan, more even temperatures all over has reduced carbonizing in hard to reach/low flow areas, filtration systems are light years better as is the overall oil flow system, combustion chambers are light years beyond the old hemi days, bearing technology has improved, all aluminum blocks, egr that works, improved pcv systems...list goes on.

They have gone from the 1.5 mm to 1.2mm rings. They are pushing them the ring stack up the piston and going to lower tension rings. These are all increasing blow by into the crank case. Now research the Dexos oil. It is a rating GM came up with to deal with even more blow by because turbo charging and direct injection because these also increase blow by. Ever wonder why these motors have the 8 quart capacity up from the old motors? Also to deal with the extra blow by. With all of this in mind I'd say between 4 and 5 thousand miles would be a good changing point. Towing and driving hard on the 4 side and light work on the 5 side.

More important than when to change would be the lack of ZDDP's in modern oils. Now there are less high friction points, but still it really is the part that could take the loads and is my biggest concern.

My deal gives unlimited oil changes with the new purchase, so I guess things are different all together. They said they recommend every 5000 miles to change the oil.

Oh, one other thing. Someone was talking about limited oil supply and synthetic in the same post. You do do know they synthesize the synthetic oils? (it's man made). Also, they do now recycle both normal and synthetic oils.

Edited by Crf450r420

The easy exit option, is not right. You set it on and the auto memory recall on. Then set you seat and save in memory and then set your exit and save it in that memory. Now the seat adjusts when you open the door to the easy exit preset, no issue. When you go to get back in and open the door before you can get in it goes to the memory setting making it hard to get into. Shouldn't it stay in exit until you put the key in our press the memory button? Is there a way to make it that way or can I only turn off auto recall and manually press the button all the time If I don't like the flawed operation?

Edited by Crf450r420

I am working out of town so probably would be a few days till I see him again so I found these pics online. If you have the 5.3 and dont have the engine cover you should have and would have the dealership give you one not buy one. Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Must be a 5.3 thing I have a cover..SWEEEET

Edited by scoobyd3w

It appears I have the cover, but right in front of my windshield washer reservoir there's an empty tray that looks like a battery tray. What is it?attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396626209509.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396626228337.jpg

Open area is for an extra accessories battery. Ex. aftermarket stereo power or camper axillary