2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

• 1 month later...

Did an 800km road-trip with my new-to-me 2017 Z71 LT 4x4 with the 5.3 on Saturday.

Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. AFM barely noticeable and 24MPG for the trip (I don’t have a lead foot).  

Only way I could tell it was in V4 most of the time was the fairly subtle change in the exhaust sound (I have VERY good ears for changes in noise patterns). I did notice that it felt like the engine lugged for a second or so when in cruise and V4 around 100KM/h on the flats and it added a bit of throttle. That was the only time I could feel AFM as opposed to hearing it.

I do wish that there were selectable drive modes on these. Give Sport for those who want AFM disabled and Eco for those of us who would like more AFM engagement when cruising. I know there’s the Range modules, but I don’t want to swap it in when I do distance (I’d like more AFM on the highway, but I’m pretty happy with the city experience so far).

• Like 3

Just keep it in when you want V8 and take it out when you want AFM turned on. It takes 2 seconds to install/remove. I've had my range in for 20K miles. Just took it off last week for a change.

My wife's SUV has the sport, eco, etc. modes. Seems to me they just adjust throttle sensitivity. I ended up getting one from soler performance. Loved it until it gave me a cel and put me in limp mode. I was in the middle of nowhere at the time so just found a lot and parked the truck. Gave it a few minutes, restarted it and it was fine. Drove home and ripped that thing out. 

• 5 months later...

Junk !!! 2017 babied Silverado 75000 miles and a junk lifter not to mention the hundreds of people with bad transmissions in my local area… I’m so pissed dealers just deny any problems no check that they don’t deny they just out right ignore them I wouldn’t buy anything with the afm PERIOD!!!!! I’m sooo pissed 😤 BEWARE BEWARE !!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, onebad715 said:

Junk !!! 2017 babied Silverado 75000 miles and a junk lifter not to mention the hundreds of people with bad transmissions in my local area… I’m so pissed dealers just deny any problems no check that they don’t deny they just out right ignore them I wouldn’t buy anything with the afm PERIOD!!!!! I’m sooo pissed 😤 BEWARE BEWARE !!!

This isn't a dealer issue IMO, this is a GM issue at the core.

GM has attempted to have lawsuits dismissed against their products (most specifically their gearbox's) with statements along this tune: warranty applies to parts with manufacturing defects, not design defects. Quick google search will yield some reading materials.

• 1 year later...

So how many of you have had a afm lifter failure?

How many of you are using an afm disable program?

I guess I must have been not paying attention. But between the Transmission and now this lifter failure afm issue it sounds like I am sitting on a ticking time bomb with my 2017 6.2 High Country.

I don't really want to get rid of this truck since the new ones are so damned expensive.

Edited by Likarok

37 minutes ago, Likarok said:

I guess I must have been not paying attention. But between the Transmission and now this lifter failure afm issue it sounds like I am sitting on a ticking time bomb with my 2017 6.2 High Country.

I don't really want to get rid of this truck since the new ones are so damned expensive.

165K no issue. AFM has never been turned off. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

165K no issue. AFM has never been turned off. 

Thanks Bear!

I had a 2017 Tahoe to with a 5.3 with afm. It worked awesome and gave me the best gas milage of any vehical I ever drove back and forth to Mesa with, including 3.7 Colorado's and 3.8 Buick's.

Sometimes these things are just internet hype too, and with the number of Camaro's, Corvettes, Cadillac V, GMC and Chevy trucks on the road (millions) with 5.3s and 6.2s you have to really wonder. Some guys would screw up the Lords Prayer too if they knew it!

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, Likarok said:

Thanks Bear!

I had a 2017 Tahoe to with a 5.3 with afm. It worked awesome and gave me the best gas milage of any vehical I ever drove back and forth to Mesa with, including 3.7 Colorado's and 3.8 Buick's.

Sometimes these things are just internet hype too, and with the number of Camaro's, Corvettes, Cadillac V, GMC and Chevy trucks on the road (millions) with 5.3s and 6.2s you have to really wonder. Some guys would screw up the Lords Prayer too if they knew it!

Your welcome :thumbs:

On 4/1/2023 at 6:14 PM, Likarok said:

We have 5 Silverado's 2016-18 in our farm fleet. The 2016 is a 6.2 it had a AFM collapsed lifter at 38k miles. AFM was turned off via tuner after powertrain warr, ran out. Still running today at 160k miles no further problems. 3- 2017's all 5.3's. One collapsed AFM lifter on the truck I drive @ 32k miles, now at 60k miles no more problems. Other 2 trucks  @ 70k & 77k miles no problems. The 2018 @ 90k miles no problems.

I use a Range V8 on the truck I drive as well as one other 17. All these trucks are serviced 4k mile intervals with Mobil 1 Dexos oil and AC filters. These trucks all see alot of short trip start stops. But do see some extended hwy. trips from time to time'

• Like 2