In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

On 3/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, BMyers said:

.  Your type ruins these forums.  

Guys like Grumpy make these forums great. it's guys like you that are over sensitive and need to thicken up your skin..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did an 800km road-trip with my new-to-me 2017 Z71 LT 4x4 with the 5.3 on Saturday. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. AFM barely noticeable and 24MPG for the trip (I don’t have a lead foot).  

I could probably not tell when it kicked in on my hemi motor because it probably never did. The fuel mileage on that engine was amazing I could get almost 10mpg and I drove it like a granny. What wa

No, it does not. Not even close. The only Cadillacs that possibly exceeded the weight of 2014 GM crew cab 1500 4x4 pickups were the old land yachts (1976 and older) models. I believe that a 1976 Ca

Posted Images

144,002 miles. (5 minutes ago)  

AFM operation is...well...perfect!

:ughdance:

6K more and it completes a 'legal' lifetime of service.

Will it make it?

:dunno:

As least I will be able to exhale.

:idiot:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Did an 800km road-trip with my new-to-me 2017 Z71 LT 4x4 with the 5.3 on Saturday.

Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. AFM barely noticeable and 24MPG for the trip (I don’t have a lead foot).  

Only way I could tell it was in V4 most of the time was the fairly subtle change in the exhaust sound (I have VERY good ears for changes in noise patterns). I did notice that it felt like the engine lugged for a second or so when in cruise and V4 around 100KM/h on the flats and it added a bit of throttle. That was the only time I could feel AFM as opposed to hearing it.

I do wish that there were selectable drive modes on these. Give Sport for those who want AFM disabled and Eco for those of us who would like more AFM engagement when cruising. I know there’s the Range modules, but I don’t want to swap it in when I do distance (I’d like more AFM on the highway, but I’m pretty happy with the city experience so far).

• Like 3

Just keep it in when you want V8 and take it out when you want AFM turned on. It takes 2 seconds to install/remove. I've had my range in for 20K miles. Just took it off last week for a change.

My wife's SUV has the sport, eco, etc. modes. Seems to me they just adjust throttle sensitivity. I ended up getting one from soler performance. Loved it until it gave me a cel and put me in limp mode. I was in the middle of nowhere at the time so just found a lot and parked the truck. Gave it a few minutes, restarted it and it was fine. Drove home and ripped that thing out.