In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Ron.s

2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

They solved the battery issue quite a few versions ago. I just installed mine yesterday so it's too soon to tell if it's going to kill anything. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, wmgeorge64 said:

So stupid question of the day, and no I did not read all 31 pages.  2014 Silverado,  5.3 59,900 miles and automatic of course.  Will doing away with the AFM in town, help the extremely crappy 1-2 or 2-1 shift?? I swear its getting worse, dealer says, "thats just the way it is"  I am assuming I just can turn it off or on as needed? 

AFM has an impact on shifting and shifting has an impact on AFM

Aside from M5 I can tell you that running E85 makes my 5.3 a rocket and shifts are buttery smooth regardless of AFM.

36 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

AFM has an impact on shifting and shifting has an impact on AFM

Aside from M5 I can tell you that running E85 makes my 5.3 a rocket and shifts are buttery smooth regardless of AFM.

I would never run E85 in my truck but I tried the M5 today and it works great!!

4 minutes ago, wmgeorge64 said:

I would never run E85 in my truck but I tried the M5 today and it works great!!

E85 isn't for everyone and can be a debatable subject.

I have ran it in the spring-fall months for years now and do not regret it.

I ran E85 for a couple weeks and took note, then went back to 93 oct and did the same, also 86 oct. 86/93 seem to be the same MPG while the E85 seemed to report less MPG so while comparing price per gallon and gallon per mile it seems to equal so I didnt see the difference to one better than the other unless I am towing then I will go with 93 oct for sure

On 4/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sierra Dan said:

E85 isn't for everyone and can be a debatable subject.

I have ran it in the spring-fall months for years now and do not regret it.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:51 PM, Dearmosd said:

I ran E85 for a couple weeks and took note, then went back to 93 oct and did the same, also 86 oct. 86/93 seem to be the same MPG while the E85 seemed to report less MPG so while comparing price per gallon and gallon per mile it seems to equal so I didnt see the difference to one better than the other unless I am towing then I will go with 93 oct for sure

E85 allows the engine to make more horsepower and torque which should allow it to run in V4 mode more often if activated.

93 octane gasoline costs me twenty-four cents a mile to burn.  E85 costs twenty cents a mile to burn.  E30 costs sixteen cents a mile to run.

Just because one type of fuel may deliver less mpgs does not mean it is more expensive to use, one has to do the math and take the time to run several tanks of each and get averages.  

You guys with Gen V DI motors will see even more horsepower and torque gains and even lower costs than me with my Gen IV motor.

Just traded in my 2018 Chev Silverado LTZ 6.2L on a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2L. Have a Range AFM Disabler to sell cheap if anyone is looking for one.