Anyone Fluid-Film Their Frame Yet?

XYZ

On 23/11/2018 at 11:28 PM, bbarde2 said:

Updated Pics and some more detail:

• The only area that had the factory wax blown off was where the high pressure car wash could directly hit the frame, just under the rockers. 
  • I went under the truck and checked everything else - the underside was surprisingly well coated with FF. It "stayed" decently.
  • I sprayed another pint of FF on the exposed frame and more of the underbody.
  • If you look at the pic I posted earlier the bare metal was beading water. What is interesting about this is that the FF was applied over the waxy factory undercoating. This waxy undercoating was blown off by high pressure car washing yet the water was beading on the bare metal. This means that the FF did wick its way to the metal and was protecting it somewhat.

This 2016 GM truck had rust on most of the welds and most sharp edges. It spent one winter in the NE with heavily salted roads. The weld rust is due to having really shitty wax undercoating from the factory that is pretty easily removed by normal washing and harsh winter conditions. Yes, welds rust.  These rusty areas have not grown since application of FF. So I think that FF does work but it will need to be re-applied. Mostly it makes me feel like I have done something to protect the truck against the horrible salty roads. We will see in about a year how it looks.

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

Got a good coat on there. 

I think FF can work well for folks that do limited winter driving.  I do a fair bit of winter driving & I found it couldn't handle a whole winter of steady splashing and spray from wet salty roads, especially on certain parts of the truck. It does need re-applying, or at least in my case that's what I found. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, bbarde2 said:

2016 Silverado + Fluid Film application about a month ago + a few car washes + a few days of salted snowy roads. It definitely softens the factory 2016 undercoating. I am going to apply in those spots again.

IMG_2566.jpg

Did you use the areosol cans or from gallon can with the required spray equipment?

Just found this topic...

Bought a 2014 truck with 39k on it from new mexico in March ..... Has never seen snow or salt , frame looked flawless.

Brought the truck back to Michigan (home of salt and shit roads) had it professionally fluid filmed immediately when I arrived in Michigan.

I have noticed the fluid film has attacked the factory undercoating and it will actually wipe off with my finger , leaving bare metal under it .

I hope to not drive the truck in the winter , but I am concerned about rusting while the truck sits outside in my driveway during the winter months .

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hopefully you've contacted Fluid Film directly and talked with their technical staff:

https://www.fluid-film.com/

https://corrosionfree.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3prxn8mW5AIVAZ-fCh2NQgG0EAAYASAAEgIz7vD_BwE

That is the product that was applied to my truck 

• 2 months later...

So surprisingly few people have chimed in here. 

I've got a 2014 GMC Sierra 6.2 CC SLT Max Tow

I never used fluid film and in 2016 realized they don't make american cars like the others I've owned. The rust was gross. I live in Michigan and understood why so many trucks are rusted out in 10 years. 

I FF'd the shit out of my truck and the wax definitely peeled where I poked at it but otherwise it was just stick goop that worked to prevent rust. IF anything, untouched, the FF extended the life though also softened the wax. 

In 2017 I used a chisel, elbow grease, and brake cleaner and super degreaser by meguiars out of a pressure washer to remove the FF and the wax coat. Then I rust converted it (plexoyl or something, blue/white spray cans) and coated it 3x with flat black enamel paint (rustoleum). After that had dried 100% (it was summer) I put a thick layer of FF on and touch it up 2x a year. This has stopped ALL rust and has worked great. Don't need to wash it - at first this was shady feeling but seriously. The FF - left to it's own - will coat your shit and work. If you have to, for peace of mind, touch it up and  thicken it up at will.

DEFINITELY 100% without question - spray this shit in your rocker panels, in your doors, on your hinges, and in your cab corners. It will keep them from rotting out from the inside. If you get it on the rubber weather strips they'll warp a little but they are cheap and easy to repair if you don't care to apply with caution. When I bore scoped mine in 2016 there was lots of specs of rust forming which have not changed since I started blasting FF in there. Greasy yep. Smelly, yep. But that goes away after a few days and no one looks inside your doors. Definitely not in your rocker panels. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

2016 Silverado + Fluid Film application about a month ago + a few car washes + a few days of salted snowy roads. It definitely softens the factory 2016 undercoating. I am going to apply in those spots again.

IMG_2566.jpg

I just did the same on my 2020 and got the same result. Is it giving you any issue so far or do you just keep re applying 

288619B5-D226-43E4-9EA3-B1DB305DAC9E.jpeg

On 11/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, Nanotech Environmental said:

Got a good coat on there. 

I think FF can work well for folks that do limited winter driving.  I do a fair bit of winter driving & I found it couldn't handle a whole winter of steady splashing and spray from wet salty roads, especially on certain parts of the truck. It does need re-applying, or at least in my case that's what I found. 

Any update? How’s the truck holding up I just applied on my 2020 Silverado 

The general consensus is get the Daubart chemical factory stuff and just touch up as needed. I've used NH Oil Undercoating and it slightly softened the coating up but seems to provide another layer of protection. Avoid high pressure under carriage washed they'll just blow off the frame wax.

Edited by Lsgun1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, Lsgun1 said:

The general consensus is get the Daubart chemical factory stuff and just touch up as needed. I've used NH Oil Undercoating and it slightly softened the coating up but seems to provide another layer of protection. Avoid high pressure under carriage washed they'll just blow off the frame wax.

I was doing NH OIL as well. It was inexpensive, but required annual re-application and it forces you to avoid automated car washes. I hadn't thoroughly washed the truck in over 3 years (not good in New England). Anyway, I got introduced to Wax-Oyl this past summer and so far, so good...been on a few months and have gone through numerous automagic undercarriagee washes with no negative results. While it's not 100% solid (I.e., like paint and the like), it clings to the frame and various parts well enough that you have to really get at it with a scraper to penetrate/remove it. The 2 obvious differences between them are (a) cost and (b) coverage. Wax-Oyl is 3x the cost ($750 vs $250) to apply and requires maintenance every 2-3 years ($180-250). Also, Wax-Oyl is only applied to key areas of the undercarriage whereas NH OIL covers everything. At first I didn't care about the overspray of the NH OIL, but then I started working underneath the truck and man, that stuff is nasty and it sucks when trying to work on stuff it's been applied to.

Just did some touchup under mine today.  I used Nox-Rust for the first time and will have to take a look how it dried.  Previously was just using whatever flat black primer I had laying around.  My frame looks great.  It's a 2018 but gets driven in all weather and pressure washed underneath regularly.  That Fluid Film may be good stuff but if I applied that and melted off the factory wax like the pictures I'd puke!

55 minutes ago, Chev85 said:

Just did some touchup under mine today.  I used Nox-Rust for the first time and will have to take a look how it dried.  Previously was just using whatever flat black primer I had laying around.  My frame looks great.  It's a 2018 but gets driven in all weather and pressure washed underneath regularly.  That Fluid Film may be good stuff but if I applied that and melted off the factory wax like the pictures I'd puke!

Yeah I just washed all of it off took a lot more wax off and now a lot of bare metal frame is showing. Taking it to go get undercoated on Thursday. Guy says he can fix it so we shall see. Paying him $800 plus $90 to touch up once a year 

IMG_2566.jpg

What did you do to remedy this? Did you just spray all the bare spots again. I put fluid film on my 2020 2500 and have the same issue. Bring it to a place to get undercoating that way I get their 10 year warranty that comes with it. 

I've sprayed my frame with a DIY oil/solvent/vaseline solution, and so far (in my third Canadian winter) no loss of factory undercoating.   

Not sure it's a big loss if you do lose the OEM coating.   The coating on my truck was bleeding rust right through it, especially around the frame welds, when the truck was brand new.   

I'll take my periodic oil sprays, thanks, and the less it costs the better.    It's supposed to be cheap insurance after all.