BFG AT KO2

I bumped my pressure up to 50psi after reading this thread. I've noticed after 6k miles the fronts were wearing a bit uneven. I was previously running 45psi. 275-55r20 but seriously regretting not getting 275-60r20...

I've been running mine at 40psi but might experiment a bit more after reading this!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had about 650 miles on my tires at 40 psi. I have less than 50 miles on them since going up to 50 psi. Ironically, they seem to ride a little smoother with the added psi. Could have something to do with the stiffer sidewall of an LT tire over P tire. Maybe now it's actually riding on air instead of the sidewall. If you know what I mean.

I had about 650 miles on my tires at 40 psi. I have less than 50 miles on them since going up to 50 psi. Ironically, they seem to ride a little smoother with the added psi. Could have something to do with the stiffer sidewall of an LT tire over P tire. Maybe now it's actually riding on air instead of the sidewall. If you know what I mean.

I noticed that as well, seems to ride much smoother with higher pressure. I'm interested in how this affects my gas mileage. Been getting around 18.5 each tank this summer. I will update after a few tanks with the higher psi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have 45K on my tires and have a few thousand more miles before I need to get a new set but I have heard the new KO2s don't come with the white walls on the 325/60R20 sizes. Is this true?

Part of the reasons get BFGs is for the whitewall as they are the only tires that makes them look awesome. This will be a huge let down if that's the case.

366e51f730d0d86d872939f3473f43df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been running mine at 40psi but might experiment a bit more after reading this!

I have been running 40 psi but I'm using Nitrogen. It does not fluctuate as much as air does so the tires wear so much better. This set I have now has 45K on them and the sides looks brand new while remaining perfectly flat.

I have been running 40 psi but I'm using Nitrogen. It does not fluctuate as much as air does so the tires wear so much better. This set I have now has 45K on them and the sides looks brand new while remaining perfectly flat.

Only in race cars. Atmospheric air contains ~ 79% Nitrogen already. N fills is a dealer markup strategy and pure profit. However, with 45K miles and even wear you obviously have kept them at the right psi so kudos on that

• Like 3

Only in race cars. Atmospheric air contains ~ 79% Nitrogen already. N fills is a dealer markup strategy and pure profit. However, with 45K miles and even wear you obviously have kept them at the right psi so kudos on that

I did not pay any more for air or nitrogen. It was an option from my dealer and at no additional change.

Since Atmospheric air is only 78% Nitrogen, 21% oxygen, the rest other gases, the 21% oxygen is what is fluctuating during the temperature changes. If you can get rid of the other 22% gases and put pure nitrogen in the tires, you will have a higher boiling and freezing point than Atmospheric Air. Dues to this, the tire psi will only change 1 psi during normal days. I keep my tires at 40 psi religiously and usually during normal highway driving in South Louisiana, they will go to 41 maybe 42 psi.

Nitrogen doesn't expand and contract as much as air with temperature. This is one of the major problems with air because when is cold or hot, for every 12 degrees change in temperature, the psi will increase or decrease respectively (i.e. deflate gate!!).

I have seen so much better wear with nitrogen vs air on my current tires compared to my last set.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm running nitrogen in my KO2s too but my pressures fluctuate around 5 psi from cold to hot and close to 10 psi in the rears when towing. I bought my tires at Costco and they include nitrogen with installation as well as anytime you need to add pressure. I'm currently running 50 front hot and 55 rear hot but the rears go up to 60 towing on hot road surfaces.

After 12.5k miles with lots of towing, tires still look good but I believe have gotten a bit louder at higher speeds especially.

Edited by Red_5

Finally biting the bullet and getting KO2s installed on my truck after milking the OEM grabbers for about 63k miles. Curious if you all would advise I have these tires road force balanced as opposed to normal spin balancing based on your experience?

Thanks,

-Evan

Finally biting the bullet and getting KO2s installed on my truck after milking the OEM grabbers for about 63k miles. Curious if you all would advise I have these tires road force balanced as opposed to normal spin balancing based on your experience?

Thanks,

-Evan

I had mine rfb'd because of GMs unusual requirement of 15lbs or better to avoid buffeting (see "noise in cabin thread" for k2xx suvs).

My tire dealer had to replace 2 to get them all under 12lbs. This eliminated the buffeting at 40mph and 70mph.

My advice: if you drive a 2014 or newer half ton, have them road force balanced.