Bilstein shocks vs RC lift package?

zback

Why does running the Billies in the front and the rear lower the rear by two to two and a half inches or am i confusing things?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Indeed you are getting things confused. Running the 5100 adjustable shocks in front you may vary the lift anywhere between 0-2 inches. The rears have no adjustment whatsoever.

Indeed you are getting things confused. Running the 5100 adjustable shocks in front you may vary the lift anywhere between 0-2 inches. The rears have no adjustment whatsoever.

Thanks for clearing that up! So for people who want to maintain some rake they'll need to buy blocks for the back.

I also heard running the combination of 5100's in the front with the level is too much lift without adjusting the drivetrain but I'm assuming this doesn't apply in the rear since the 5100 don't lift the rear.

Also want to clarify that 5100 lower the rear?

Thanks guys.

BILSTEIN 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shock Absorbers are designed for front coilover style pickup and SUV suspensions. With the use of multiple snap ring grooves to position the spring seat at different heights the vehicles ride height can be changed anywhere between 0-2.5” depending on application.

Thanks for clearing that up! So for people who want to maintain some rake they'll need to buy blocks for the back.

I also heard running the combination of 5100's in the front with the level is too much lift without adjusting the drivetrain but I'm assuming this doesn't apply in the rear since the 5100 don't lift the rear.

Thanks guys.

The rears are just replacent shocks, they do not alter the ride height at all.

BILSTEIN 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shock Absorbers are designed for front coilover style pickup and SUV suspensions. With the use of multiple snap ring grooves to position the spring seat at different heights the vehicles ride height can be changed anywhere between 0-2.5” depending on application.

Those numbers are not vehicle dependent, just a broad measurement. For the 2014+ GMs it is 0 to 1.85 inches in 4 steps.

Thanks guys.

No idea what you mean by "adjusting the drivetrain"? The 5100 fronts allow for stock ride height, or up to 1.87" of lift with 2 settings in between max (I think like .75 and 1.25") the rears do not lift the truck at all, but if you install the fronts and run @ max height you will be withing a 1/2" or less I think of the rear- it'll be "level" no more visual rake, when you put a lot of weight in the bed or tow something of any substance your rear will squat more making the front end higher- not a good look IMO.

So what some people have opted to do (myself included) is remove the stock rear 1.25" blocks from the truck and install 2.25" blocks. The bilstein 5100 rear shocks for this application are 1" longer than stock (don't get that confused w/ lifting) therefore you can add up to 1" extra block height in the back w/o screwing w/ ride quality or compromising suspension components.

All the above only applies to 2014+ 4wd trucks - for different vehicles and brands the shocks have different parameters- some applications allowing for more lift or less etc. and the one thing that does differ for GM trucks is I believe 2WD trucks do not have any stock rear blocks, so you would not necessarily want to put that combo on of the Billy's and 2.25" block- I may be wrong about that, but I'm fairly certain.

No idea what you mean by "adjusting the drivetrain"? The 5100 fronts allow for stock ride height, or up to 1.87" of lift with 2 settings in between max (I think like .75 and 1.25") the rears do not lift the truck at all, but if you install the fronts and run @ max height you will be withing a 1/2" or less I think of the rear- it'll be "level" no more visual rake, when you put a lot of weight in the bed or tow something of any substance your rear will squat more making the front end higher- not a good look IMO.

So what some people have opted to do (myself included) is remove the stock rear 1.25" blocks from the truck and install 2.25" blocks. The bilstein 5100 rear shocks for this application are 1" longer than stock (don't get that confused w/ lifting) therefore you can add up to 1" extra block height in the back w/o screwing w/ ride quality or compromising suspension components.

All the above only applies to 2014+ 4wd trucks - for different vehicles and brands the shocks have different parameters- some applications allowing for more lift or less etc. and the one thing that does differ for GM trucks is I believe 2WD trucks do not have any stock rear blocks, so you would not necessarily want to put that combo on of the Billy's and 2.25" block- I may be wrong about that, but I'm fairly certain.

Cool thanks I get it now. I just didn't realize the rears were not adjustable.

By "adjusting the drivetrain" I meant lowering the transfer case - you have to do that on a suspension lift so that there is not too much angle on the diffs. I read in another thread that stacking the bilsteins with an RC lift would be a no go and better to do a full suspension lift for that much height.

I definitely want to keep the rake because I do a fair amount of towing so I'm thinking the bilsteins and blocks in the rear is the way to go.

I appreciate the clarification!

Do the Bilsteins allow for a less than max setting of 1.85"? Say, if I wanted to only raise it 1", or 1.25", is there an adjustment for that?

The 5100's have 4 settings. 0" (stock height), .75", 1.25" and 1.8"

I put Bilsteins on my truck, LOVE them such a better ride.

When I installed them and took on a test drive it measured to 2 1/4" lift

after a month of normal driving, it has settled down to 2" exact.

My thread can be found here

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/179277-installed-bilstein-5100s-today/

• 2 weeks later...

I think I want the 5100 for all the reasons discussed but want a little more lift to fit 275/65/20 (34" tires). Anybody do a combo lift to get 2.25"-2.5" of lift to fit these tires? Anybody know of a .5" to 1" plate lift (front) so I can get a 2.25-2.5" lift?

Archived