Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

GM Family Vehicles Win Four of the Most Important Categories

post-139450-0-02782300-1457548168_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3/9/2016

The staff at GM-trucks.com are fortunate to count some of the key people at U.S. News and World Report as friends and colleagues. We admire their novel way of surveying the rest of the motor press and drawing conclusions about which cars are best based on a compilation of review results. They also back up their findings by testing vehicles themselves. This week, the folks at U.S. News released their 2016 list of Best Cars For Families. GM vehicles took home the top spot in four of the most important categories.

post-139450-0-59058300-1457548189_thumb.jpg

First up, the Malibu and Impala basically crushed the list by winning the two most important categories, mid-size car and large car. Those two categories really are the two actual family car categories and GM should be proud to have earned the wins. Of the new Malibu, U.S. News said, "Testers say the redesigned 2016 Chevrolet Malibu is a strong contender with class leaders thanks to its spacious seats, user-friendly infotainment system and good trunk space. The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu has the best combination of interior space, safety and reliability ratings, and available family-friendly features in its class, making it our 2016 Best Midsize Car for Families." Note that U.S. News wisely includes reliability and safety in this type of vehicle. U.S. News gets it. Meanwhile, over at the "car magazines" they are doing top speed runs in 4-cylinder economy cars and talking about "lift throttle oversteer at high Gs."

post-139450-0-60069200-1457548146_thumb.jpg

There are families that want big, and the Yukon delivers. We just tested the 2016 Yukon Denali, and it is hard to argue there is a better beast that does what it does. The Escalade wins its category too. Some families do want luxury along with size and the Escalade coddles you and the rest of your basketball team.

Check out the rankings here for yourself. Look for our new road test format coming soon. The Denali will be the first up.

Just my opinion, but I think the Malibu looks hideous. It looks even worse in person.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Micah Morlas
      I have a 2004 yukon with a slight oil leak. Not sure where it’s coming from bu found a small hairline crack in oil pan. What’s the best way to remedy this? Weld it, epoxy it, or replace it? Is it even an issue if it’s a small leak or can it catastrophically fail one day? 

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Staff Writer
      8-6-18

In its latest compilation of great cars, J.D. Power (Hammer) liked the Chevy Malibu and Buick Lacrosse. Both were named to the list of Eight Most Reliable Certified Pre-Owned Cars. Together GM’s two cars made up a quarter of the top eight.

In its summary of the LaCrosse, the publication says, “Buick’s full-size LaCrosse sedan has plenty going for it, from a choice between a light-electrified hybrid drivetrain and a powerful V-6 engine to a roomy and comfortable cabin wrapped in upscale sheet metal.” Of the Malibu, the publication says, “In its final year before a complete redesign for 2016, the midsized 2015 Chevy Malibu offered real value along with, apparently, excellent reliability. Pair the torque-rich turbo with the top LTZ trim level and you’ll have a dependable and upscale rocket.” 

The list of eight was derived from J.D. Power’s dependability data, which comes directly from owners. This list is interesting because it looks at the dependability of 2015 model year cars that might be coming off of 36 or 39-month leases. As a CPO car, the vehicle will have a warranty and will have undergone an inspection.
    • By ebk
      I have a 03' Yukon XL AWD w JL4, and like others my brake lines are toast.  My plan is to replace everything from the combination valve down.  To make things easier, I am looking at the NiCopp lines.  I like the EZ-Fit kit, which includes lines that are pre-cut (not shaped) and flared with fittings.  It's more expensive than bulk tubing, but it seems like it might significantly reduce the time and effort involved.  I do have a couple of questions for those of you who have already tackled this job:

Material:  Any thoughts on NiCopp vs steel? Since NiCopp is much softer, should I go easy when tightening the fittings?  I think the specs call for 18ft/lbs of torque.  Does anyone have any experience with the EZ-Fit kit?
      Bleeding:  I usually vacuum bleed my brakes.  Do I need a pressure bleeder to do this right?  Are there any tricks to completely bleeding the ABS module, or do I need a scanner to do it properly?  Do I need to bleed the master cylinder, since I am starting below the combination valve?
      Routing:  It seems like the difficult line is the one going from the ABS to the rear.  I saw some articles about taking off the left wheel skirt to get a good angle on feeding the rear line.  Do you have any other tips re the routing of the lines? I don't want to have to drop the fuel tank or raise the body.
      Tools:  Other than the pressure bleeder, I guess I need a flare nut wrench (14mm?), is a flex wrench important?  It looks like the access areas and angles on some of the fittings are tough.  Am I missing anything?

Any other advice?  I have attached a photo of the existing lines.  I am assuming that I don't have much time.  Let me know what you think.  

Thanks for all of your help!!!

• By 17Sierra1500
      Taken from a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate  - - 22" GM CK164 Wheels and tires package for sale.
        4 wheels, 22x9 aluminum + 4 tires + 4 TPMS sensors installed + 4 tires mounted + 4 center caps   TPMS sensors and Lug Nuts INCLUDED   OEM wheel part number 19301164 7-spoke silver with black inserts and they retail about $500 each.   285/45R22 Brigestone Dueler A/T RH-S tires have 30K on them but they definitely still have some life left in them - I don't have a tire tread gauge or I could tell you the exact depth.   All parts listed here are OEM Factory parts unlike the cheap knock-off replicas you find on the internet.   Located in Columbia, Missouri.  $1800 OBO   EDIT: I would consider shipping them if buyer pays for shipping, up front and payment clears.  I did a quote through Greyhound Package Express and it is roughly $400 to ship them to the lower 48 states, give or take depending on your location.  If you choose this option, you will have to be patient with me shipping them as I will have to drive 2 hours each way to get to a Greyhound shipping location.

• By CMoore711
      I purchased the wheels brand new from a Giovanna Wheel shop and have since chosen to go with a different set of wheels.  Unfortunately the wheel shop I purchased from does not accept returns, so I am listing the wheels for sale.   Wheels are brand new and unmounted, I only unboxed (1) wheel for picture purposes only, then it was repackaged with all the original manufacturer's packaging.   Wheel Details: Giovanna Dramuno 6 Machine Black Finish Size: 24" x 10" Offset: +30 mm Bolt Pattern:  6 x 139.7 Center Bore: 78.1 mm   Fitment: 2007+ Yukon/Yukon XL, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra 1500, Silverado, Avalanche,   Wheels will ship double boxed and with all original manufacturer's packaging just as received from Giovanna.   Asking Price is $1,750 OBO shipped to the continental U.S. Prefer Payment via PayPal I'm located in Dayton, OH and would be willing to meet up within a reasonable distance.   Plastic Protective Cover still on Center Caps:   One of the deepest concave style wheels available; About 3" Deep Concave from rim lip down to center cap:   Repackaged with Original Manufacturer's Plastic Lip Protector:   Some "Stock" Images: