Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

GM Family Vehicles Win Four of the Most Important Categories

post-139450-0-02782300-1457548168_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3/9/2016

The staff at GM-trucks.com are fortunate to count some of the key people at U.S. News and World Report as friends and colleagues. We admire their novel way of surveying the rest of the motor press and drawing conclusions about which cars are best based on a compilation of review results. They also back up their findings by testing vehicles themselves. This week, the folks at U.S. News released their 2016 list of Best Cars For Families. GM vehicles took home the top spot in four of the most important categories.

post-139450-0-59058300-1457548189_thumb.jpg

First up, the Malibu and Impala basically crushed the list by winning the two most important categories, mid-size car and large car. Those two categories really are the two actual family car categories and GM should be proud to have earned the wins. Of the new Malibu, U.S. News said, "Testers say the redesigned 2016 Chevrolet Malibu is a strong contender with class leaders thanks to its spacious seats, user-friendly infotainment system and good trunk space. The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu has the best combination of interior space, safety and reliability ratings, and available family-friendly features in its class, making it our 2016 Best Midsize Car for Families." Note that U.S. News wisely includes reliability and safety in this type of vehicle. U.S. News gets it. Meanwhile, over at the "car magazines" they are doing top speed runs in 4-cylinder economy cars and talking about "lift throttle oversteer at high Gs."

post-139450-0-60069200-1457548146_thumb.jpg

There are families that want big, and the Yukon delivers. We just tested the 2016 Yukon Denali, and it is hard to argue there is a better beast that does what it does. The Escalade wins its category too. Some families do want luxury along with size and the Escalade coddles you and the rest of your basketball team.

Check out the rankings here for yourself. Look for our new road test format coming soon. The Denali will be the first up.

Just my opinion, but I think the Malibu looks hideous. It looks even worse in person.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 17Sierra1500
      Taken from a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate  - - 22" GM CK164 Wheels and tires package for sale.
        4 wheels, 22x9 aluminum + 4 tires + 4 TPMS sensors installed + 4 tires mounted + 4 center caps   TPMS sensors and Lug Nuts INCLUDED   OEM wheel part number 19301164 7-spoke silver with black inserts and they retail about $500 each.   285/45R22 Brigestone Dueler A/T RH-S tires have 30K on them but they definitely still have some life left in them - I don't have a tire tread gauge or I could tell you the exact depth.   All parts listed here are OEM Factory parts unlike the cheap knock-off replicas you find on the internet.   Located in Columbia, Missouri.  $1800 OBO   EDIT: I would consider shipping them if buyer pays for shipping, up front and payment clears.  I did a quote through Greyhound Package Express and it is roughly $400 to ship them to the lower 48 states, give or take depending on your location.  If you choose this option, you will have to be patient with me shipping them as I will have to drive 2 hours each way to get to a Greyhound shipping location.

• By CMoore711
      I purchased the wheels brand new from a Giovanna Wheel shop and have since chosen to go with a different set of wheels.  Unfortunately the wheel shop I purchased from does not accept returns, so I am listing the wheels for sale.   Wheels are brand new and unmounted, I only unboxed (1) wheel for picture purposes only, then it was repackaged with all the original manufacturer's packaging.   Wheel Details: Giovanna Dramuno 6 Machine Black Finish Size: 24" x 10" Offset: +30 mm Bolt Pattern:  6 x 139.7 Center Bore: 78.1 mm   Fitment: 2007+ Yukon/Yukon XL, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra 1500, Silverado, Avalanche,   Wheels will ship double boxed and with all original manufacturer's packaging just as received from Giovanna.   Asking Price is $1,750 OBO shipped to the continental U.S. Prefer Payment via PayPal I'm located in Dayton, OH and would be willing to meet up within a reasonable distance.   Plastic Protective Cover still on Center Caps:   One of the deepest concave style wheels available; About 3" Deep Concave from rim lip down to center cap:   Repackaged with Original Manufacturer's Plastic Lip Protector:   Some "Stock" Images:
    • By FL335i
      Well I ordered all the parts this morning to do the rear axle shafts and brake job.  Truck has 81,XXX miles on it.  Factory pads are about gone.  The passenger side axle shaft seal is back to leaking pretty bad.  It was R&R'd at 16k and has been sweating ever since and the dealer didn't want to hear it.  9 months later when I bought our new Enclave, I made sure I didn't step foot in that dealer. Anyway, I've also had the driveshaft balanced by a local shop which helped out quite a bit.  All but one person who I've found did Yukon shafts said it fixed the vibration.  So for $260, worth the old college try.  Parts list en route are.... 

-Yukon Axle Shafts
      -ACDelco Wheel bearings (both sides)
      -ACDelco axle shaft seals (both sides)
      -GM Diff cover gasket (yes I know its reusable but I've already used it once with my PML Cover and put silicone on it. )
      -Raybestos Police package rotors.  I read that these are mill balanced to a pretty good spec.  Tolerances in general are much tighter. 
      -Raybestos hybrid ceramic truck pads

While I have it apart I'm going to do a gear pattern check, R&P backlash check at multiple locations around the ring AND check the pinion pre-load measurement.  I read that one of these lemon buy back vibrators was donated to a tech school and upon disassembly the pinion pre-load was zero.  Yes, zero.  So i'm going through the axle my way. 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-11-2018

GMC announced today that it is expanding its Yukon SUV line with the addition of two new 2019 Graphite Editions. The Yukon Graphite Edition features a darkened exterior appearance, while the Yukon Graphite Performance Edition adds to this look vehicle performance upgrades. The Graphite Editions are available either Yukon or Yukon XL on SLT trim vehicles and can be ordered on with either 2WD or 4WD.  

“The Yukon continues to lead the full-size SUV segment with premium features and an instantly recognizable and well-respected identity,” said Stu Pierce, senior marketing manager for GMC Trucks and Full-Size SUVs. “The all-new Graphite Edition builds on the commanding road presence and inherent capabilities of the Yukon and affords customers the opportunity to project a unique, yet distinctly GMC style.”

The new Yukon Graphite packages will launch later this summer in the following colors; Onyx Black, White Frost Tricoat and Dark Sky Metallic. Pricing will be announced closer to the launch date.

The Yukon Graphite Edition includes the following content:
      22-inch bright machined wheels with Carbon Flash Metallic pockets
      Black assist steps with gloss black accents
      Premium black chrome grille mesh insert and fog lamp surrounds
      Body-color grille surround, black roof rails, gloss black beltline moldings and additional black trim.

The Graphite Performance Edition requires the Graphite Edition and further adds:
      6.2L V-8 engine with 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque 
      10-speed automatic transmission.
      Magnetic Ride Control.
      22-inch six-spoke Gloss black wheels.
      Active two-speed transfer case (4WD models only).
      Trailer brake controller.
      170-amp alternator.
      3.23 axle ratio.
      High capacity air cleaner.
      Bose Active Noise Cancellation.
      Multi-color Head-up Display.
      8-inch reconfigurable Driver Information Center.
      8-inch Color Touch Screen Navigation with GMC Infotainment System.