From Ford F-150 to GM truck?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to pay for OnStar Basic service for 5 years which includes cell phone unlock, remote start and tire pressure display. Yes there are some advantages to having a key pad on the door like Ford. What I do is I put my truck key on a detachable ball ring from the Key Fob. When I need my key for circumstances like you mentioned, I just take the key and lock the fob in my truck, it's not perfect by any means, but it works. For me, I have parked my truck at the airport and just to calm my OCD, I can initiate a door lock from the comfort of 38,000 ft and get a confirmation the doors are locked. I can also remote start my truck when it's been sitting for a week in long term parking in the winter of Colorado while in baggage claim, to my knowledge, you're SOL with the Ford in that regard. There are cup holders in the center armrest in the rear of the truck and for me that works better than having them on the rear of the center console because I have kids in car seats in the back and they can easily reach their cups with the holders in the folding down arm rest. Yes Ford has more gizmos and do dads; especially on the top level trims, but none of them are true necessities rather nice-ities, but you also pay a lot more for them. For a similarly equipped Lariat to my LTZ Z-71 I would have to opt for the 503A trim package which prices out close to $60K and Ford isn't marking down the new F-150s by $10K. My truck stickered at close to $52K and GM will readily give you $10K. The Ford is a nice truck, it will serve many people well, but it's not worth $10K to me to have a trailer back up knob, panoramac sunroof, ass massaging seats and vents in the center console. From reading the Ford forums, the Eco-boost engines require more TLC as well, for instance cleaning the intake valves at 50K is a recommended service, no using Seafoam, CRC or Gumout on those engines as they can ruin the turbo systems.

Ford has a few things I want:

1 more payload

2 panoramic sun roof

I think the new f-150 looks better than the 16+ GM twins, also the King Ranch interior is badass

Things GM has that I want

1 steel bed

2 column shifter

3 6.2 V8

4 8 speed trans

5 key to start

You don't have to pay for OnStar Basic service for 5 years which includes cell phone unlock, remote start and tire pressure display. Yes there are some advantages to having a key pad on the door like Ford. What I do is I put my truck key on a detachable ball ring from the Key Fob. When I need my key for circumstances like you mentioned, I just take the key and lock the fob in my truck, it's not perfect by any means, but it works. For me, I have parked my truck at the airport and just to calm my OCD, I can initiate a door lock from the comfort of 38,000 ft and get a confirmation the doors are locked. I can also remote start my truck when it's been sitting for a week in long term parking in the winter of Colorado while in baggage claim, to my knowledge, you're SOL with the Ford in that regard. There are cup holders in the center armrest in the rear of the truck and for me that works better than having them on the rear of the center console because I have kids in car seats in the back and they can easily reach their cups with the holders in the folding down arm rest. Yes Ford has more gizmos and do dads; especially on the top level trims, but none of them are true necessities rather nice-ities, but you also pay a lot more for them. For a similarly equipped Lariat to my LTZ Z-71 I would have to opt for the 503A trim package which prices out close to $60K and Ford isn't marking down the new F-150s by $10K. My truck stickered at close to $52K and GM will readily give you $10K. The Ford is a nice truck, it will serve many people well, but it's not worth $10K to me to have a trailer back up knob, panoramac sunroof, ass massaging seats and vents in the center console. From reading the Ford forums, the Eco-boost engines require more TLC as well, for instance cleaning the intake valves at 50K is a recommended service, no using Seafoam, CRC or Gumout on those engines as they can ruin the turbo systems.

Bottom line Ford went for the ooo's and ahh's with a bunch of look good stuff but hardly gonna use it. They have been electrical troubleshooting nightmares too which hardly anybody wants to admit. The whole front dash everything on it is suspect to glitches and has been for years! GM has the better engine,tranny reliability and that is what it comes down too! Folks FERD'S look cool but you don't want to be the owner of a EB @ 200,000 miles I am telling ya the troof!

Bottom line Ford went for the ooo's and ahh's with a bunch of look good stuff but hardly gonna use it. They have been electrical troubleshooting nightmares too which hardly anybody wants to admit. The whole front dash everything on it is suspect to glitches and has been for years! GM has the better engine,tranny reliability and that is what it comes down too! Folks FERD'S look cool but you don't want to be the owner of a EB @ 200,000 miles I am telling ya the troof!

Gawd...that crap I read here.

Have you ever owned a "Ferd" truck recently to actually comment with personal experience?

Post a TSB of Ford's "electrical" issue otherwise we can assume you are foaming at the mouth about nothing.

I've owned several Ford trucks during the past 7 years without any issue.

Since you brought electrical issues up...

Shall we talk about a "real" documented electrical issue that affects new GM trucks equipped with the snow plow package?

An electrical issue where a separate harness with a goofy trailer style third wire is needed to wire back to the plow, provided by GM in order to not trip the protection breaker for the infotainment system and HVAC?

It's not just my truck, it's ALL HD GM trucks with the 220 amp alternator.

The temporary GM suggested "fix" before they came out with this harness band-aid was even more entertaining.......We were told to turn on all possible electrical functions like heated seats, RR defroster and heater fan just to help soak up the surge problem so it didn't black out the center stack. So, start the truck, turn on heated seats, rear window defogger, turn on heater fan, and don't forget...then turn on the plow and pick it up.. If that order isn't followed, the second you pick up the plow, the center stack surge protector blacks out the infotainment system and HVAC for about a half hour.

Real nice on a new truck when it's -10 degrees...

Has it been permanently addressed and fixed yet? Not to my knowledge.

Its a real issue with those of us who mount a plow snow..

Here...have a read.

http://www.plowsite.com/threads/2015-gmc-electrical-issue-fixed.161166/

Shall we start with say....late 90's? Your a powerstoker guy, right? I am not even going to start with the FORD RADIO'S did you all finally get that figured out green illuminated radio? Anyway, 7.3 F-250 Diesel yup good engine although burning down the dealership with a parked truck inside due to the fact it was probably 5+ years before you JOE PUBLIC knew that MR. HENNING'S f-250 self ignited due to electrical issues relating to the crusie control button? Delvan Ford call em for confirmation if you like!

Fast forward to now and nothing has changed 2011 EB hit the scene and more problems and still eclectrical issues! Had countless f-150's with every conceivable dash,noise,electrial issue you could imagine with company fleet vehicles. So yeah FERD can stick it! We went GM in 2006 Never looked back! Trucks only go in for Transfer case's blowing out!

Guy, I work with dumped his pre 60,000 EB for a 2016 5.0 because of electrical issues FERD wanted 1000.00 bucks to fix. GM has vibes I get it but FORD has electrical issues and has for years!

I think the new f-150 looks better than the 16+ GM twins, also the King Ranch interior is badass

Wow I can't see that... I just can't get used to that F-150 grille that looks like a fish mouth. Horrible...

post-91158-0-56894900-1472009865.jpg

There will be literally 100's of T.S.B.'s for any Ford model. They are created by techs throughout the country to help other techs with fixes for a multitude of customer issues/complaints. It gives the techs a path to check when they come up with one of those not so obvious problems. It's a tool techs use to work more efficiently. They don't necessarily mean they are common problems that occur in all vehicles built.

I know a little bit about them as I was in Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealers for around 20 years. Not trying to say F150s don't ever have problems. Just like Chevrolet / GMC trucks the vast majority of owners own reasonably trouble-free trucks. All of the brand forums seem to create "the sky is falling" mentality on issues that might only affect a small percentage of owners. I'm not an owner of a specific vehicle with blinders on. I am extremely biased toward the original Big 3.

For those that are biased to GM only and wish to call me a troll, so be it. I'll occasionally pop up on here (i didn't see ownership as a requirement to register here)to maybe point out a misconception/untruth or offer an owner's view of Ford or Ram. I've owned both recently. I would like to own a GMC at some point to go with my Corvette and Chevy powered 32 Ford Highboy.

Archived