Denali cluster in SLT

Question:  My Cluster came back to me today from Chris and I went to install it.  When I attempted to take the visor off I noticed it was attached to something.  There is a cord attached to a little black box going into the visor that prevents me from removing it completely.  Anybody have any idea what this is and what to do about it?  I'm driving a 2017 Yukon SLT.  Thanks!

IMG_2378.jpg

Edited by Donnation

1 minute ago, Donnation said:

Is that what that is?  No. I don’t have the controls for a heads up display anywhere.  Do I need to unhook this before I can proceed?

that is the FCA (Forward Collision Alert) light module

you can unplug it to remove the cluster

__If you add the HUD, it would replace this device entirely 

Edited by migizi
  • Like 1

Last question, and I apologize in advance.  The bottom portion of my vehicle is slightly different than the ones in the installation videos.  Mine is all one giant piece.  Would anyone know if this entire piece should be popped out?  I don't want to damage anything but I don't see any other way to get to the cluster as some of is behind this large piece.   

IMG_2379.jpeg

Has anyone tried this on a Yukon by any chance?  I feel like I've wasted a whole heap of money here which is admittedly my fault.  I don't think these Yukon clusters are as easy to remove as the Sierra clusters.  I've removed the visor and bolts but the plastic piece that sits over the top of the cluster does not want to come out.  Its going to break if I pull on it any harder I fear.   Oh well, hopefully I can get someone to purchase this off of eBay and I won't be out as much money as I am now.  White Auto and Media was great and I got $100 back from the seller that was selling it new but was actually used so at least I got that.

A word of warning, if you are thinking about doing this on a Yukon I don't recommend it.  

Is there a panel under your steering column that has the hood release? On the Sierra it’s held in by 2 torx15 screws. If you do, lower that and see if there is something else you might be able to see holding it up??? Just trying to help since I have no idea how the Yukon is put together. I bet you’re not the first to do this on a Yukon...maybe someone can chime in who has and they just haven’t seen your posts. Good luck, sorry it’s being a pain.

Edited by SS502

43 minutes ago, Donnation said:

Has anyone tried this on a Yukon by any chance?  I feel like I've wasted a whole heap of money here which is admittedly my fault.  I don't think these Yukon clusters are as easy to remove as the Sierra clusters.  I've removed the visor and bolts but the plastic piece that sits over the top of the cluster does not want to come out.  Its going to break if I pull on it any harder I fear.   Oh well, hopefully I can get someone to purchase this off of eBay and I won't be out as much money as I am now.  White Auto and Media was great and I got $100 back from the seller that was selling it new but was actually used so at least I got that.

A word of warning, if you are thinking about doing this on a Yukon I don't recommend it.  

Hopefully this helps @Donnation

2015-2019 GMC Chevrolet SUV Cluster Removal.pdf

14 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Is there a panel under your steering column that has the hood release? On the Sierra it’s held in by 2 torx15 screws. If you do, lower that and see if there is something else you might be able to see holding it up??? Just trying to help since I have no idea how the Yukon is put together. I bet you’re not the first to do this on a Yukon...maybe someone can chime in who has and they just haven’t seen your posts. Good luck, sorry it’s being a pain.

I certainly appreciate the help.  There is one large panel that stretches the entire length of the driver seat.  It’s the photo I posted above.  I’m not sure if it would need to be removed as its not a smaller piece like I’ve seen in the truck videos.  This piece literally stretches from the door to the middle console.  

So there were two bolts holding the plastic piece in on the outside of the cluster?

47 minutes ago, Donnation said:

Sent you a PM

10 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

Wow, thank you for that.  There is no way I’m going through that entire process just to change the cluster. Taking the entire plastic trim off the vehicle is not what I had in mind when I decided to do this.  I thought it would be a 15 minute swap out from what I saw in the videos.

Appreciate all the help, the Yukon swap won’t be happening.

Edited by Donnation

8 minutes ago, Donnation said:

I certainly appreciate the help.  There is one large panel that stretches the entire length of the driver seat.  It’s the photo I posted above.  I’m not sure if it would need to be removed as its not a smaller piece like I’ve seen in the truck videos.  This piece literally stretches from the door to the middle console.  

So there were two bolts holding the plastic piece in on the outside of the cluster?

Not holding that part but by dropping the lower panel it frees up a plastic piece that helps hold that piece in place.