Will a 2012 6.0 work in my 2008?

I have a 2008 2500hd with the 6.0 and its has some miles and is a bit tired, also it sounds like it. Needs lifter or possibly cam. I have a newer 6.0 vin G with only 24,000 on it and I can't find anywhere that says straight up if it can be swapped without major changes?.

Edited by PolarBearHD

Well...the only difference that really comes to mind is the L96 G engine is E85 compatible, where the LY6 is not. They are 99% the same engine save for the E85 capability. Same heads, intakes, etc. Could there be a sensor you might have to swap over? Possible.

The only thing you'd probably have to really do is ditch the AC compressor if it has one on it, and put yours on it. The AC lines to it are different on 2011+up trucks, so your existing lines might not bolt up. Worst case, you might need a 2009-2010 compressor with the stretchy belt (use no AC belt tensioner) to put on there if there is nowhere to mount the AC belt tensioner off your 2008 engine.

Crank balancer 2008 and up are the same.

In 2010, the Vortec 6.0L V-8 VVT (L96) replaces the previous 6.0L engine with the LY6 engine code to reflect the addition of E85 FlexFuel capability. It also offers industry-leading cam-in-block variable valve timing technology.

The 6.0L L96 engine is offered in the Chevrolet Suburban HD and Silverado HD; and GMC Yukon XL and Sierra HD. It is also offered in the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans, and in the passenger and cargo models of these vans, its equipped with E85 Flex Fuel capability

The 6.0L L96 is from Gen IV small-block engine family. All engines in the family feature a market-leading balance of performance, sophistication, economy and durability.

Edited by 15HDriver

• 2 years later...