Today I was receiving the 'service trailer brake' message my entire 36 mile drive home from work. This message has randomly popped up since I got the truck @ 26,000 miles, now its almost 55,000 and I'd like to fix this issue. Today it was not raining, so I don't think that is the issue. I was not towing when I had the warning.

Thanks for any help,

Don

post-157509-0-78302200-1497153718_thumb.jpg

Today I was receiving the 'service trailer brake' message my entire 36 mile drive home from work. This message has randomly popped up since I got the truck @ 26,000 miles, now its almost 55,000 and I'd like to fix this issue. Today it was not raining, so I don't think that is the issue. I was not towing when I had the warning.

Thanks for any help,

Don

SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM: This message will display when there is a problem with the ITBC system. If this message continues over multiple ignition cycles, there is a problem with the ITBC system. Have the vehicle serviced.

If either the CHECK TRAILER WIRING or SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM message displays while driving, the ITBC system may not be fully functional or may not function at all. When traffic conditions allow, carefully pull the vehicle over to the side of the road and turn the ignition off. Check the wiring connection to the trailer and turn the ignition back on. If either of these messages continues, either the vehicle or trailer needs service.

Thanks for any help,

Don

The ITBC system is integrated with the vehicle’s brake, antilock brake, and StabiliTrak systems. In trailering conditions that cause the vehicle’s antilock brake or StabiliTrak systems to activate, power sent to the trailer's brakes will be automatically adjusted to minimize trailer wheel lock-up. This does not imply that the trailer has StabiliTrak.

Integrated Trailer Brake Control System

The vehicle may have an Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system for use with electric trailer brakes or most electric over hydraulic trailer brakes.

If the vehicle’s brake, antilock brake, or StabiliTrak systems are not functioning properly, the ITBC system may not be fully functional or may not function at all. Make sure all of these systems are fully operational to ensure full functionality of the ITBC system.

This symbol is on the Trailer Brake Control Panel on vehicles with an ITBC system. The power output to the trailer brakes is based on the amount of brake pressure being applied by the vehicle’s brake

The ITBC system is powered through the vehicle's electrical system. Turning the ignition off will also turn off the ITBC system. The ITBC system is fully functional only when the ignition is in ON/RUN.

• Like 1

SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM: This message will display when there is a problem with the ITBC system. If this message continues over multiple ignition cycles, there is a problem with the ITBC system. Have the vehicle serviced.

If either the CHECK TRAILER WIRING or SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM message displays while driving, the ITBC system may not be fully functional or may not function at all. When traffic conditions allow, carefully pull the vehicle over to the side of the road and turn the ignition off. Check the wiring connection to the trailer and turn the ignition back on. If either of these messages continues, either the vehicle or trailer needs service.

since I can eliminate the trailer, is there a part that should be replaced, or checked on the truck? The answer of ''check the wiring connection to the trailer'' does not apply and ''the vehicle or trailer needs service'' is too vague. I agree something needs to be looked at, I'd like to know what.

This could be at least three things. The control module above the spare tire could be faulty, it's got a big connector on it, be careful it breaks easy. Check for pin fit in every terminal. Should be a micro 64 test lead. Just insert it and flip the connector over, it shouldn't fall out, if it does replace the affected terminals. Those are the most common for this concern that I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had the same issue last week. They replaced the dash brake controller switch. While I was doing my own research there was a lot of people saying that it's the relay above the spare tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Clint623
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have 1000miles on my new gmc 3500 hd,  pulled my camper and had brake wire short to ground inside brake drum. repaired connection and had to replace 30 amp fuse under hood. now the service trailer brake system came on and truck will not recognize trailer and brakes will not energize. is it the control module that has taken the hit? and if so is the same module used for the 2017,18,19? I know it should be under factory warranty but we have a big camping trip scheduled this week. just working on plan B

• 2 months later...

Ok so  my truck I drive it for a while I parked and the next day doesn't turn on it makes me makes me wonder it makes me wonder if it's the battery but then when I do jump start It says trailer breaker system and I don't know what's going on do I manually fix it myself on the computer or what do I do when I'm confused cuz I just took her I just got it out of the mechanic and I just spent $1,200  and it's just a problem in of problem I have  2015 Silverado and I don't know what's wrong send the wire and I put a lot of my trailers there I might have just when I unhooked it did it bad I did it wrong it is messing up my battery now won't turn. And if it does it says trailer brake system if please anybody can help I live in Oklahoma but I'm a Montana I travel a lot I'm traveling right now I mean if you're good at it I'll pay you if you can make it make my truck good my number is 918 860 38 28 my name's Oscar..........

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 6:45 AM, union boy said:

I have 1000miles on my new gmc 3500 hd,  pulled my camper and had brake wire short to ground inside brake drum. repaired connection and had to replace 30 amp fuse under hood. now the service trailer brake system came on and truck will not recognize trailer and brakes will not energize. is it the control module that has taken the hit? and if so is the same module used for the 2017,18,19? I know it should be under factory warranty but we have a big camping trip scheduled this week. just working on plan B

Did you get it fixed. Was it the brake control module. Mine just went on my 2020 Chevy 

Edited by Jasonv93

• 4 months later...

wondering if anyone has any additional resolution for a 2019+ truck?  I keep geeting the trailer brake warning and the dealer said they cannot duplicate the problem.  The trailer is less than one year old, and all the brakes/wiring test fine.

• 6 months later...

I just bought a used trailer recently, when purchased everything worked with my 2017 silverado,except the marker lights go figure.. decided that the obvious grounds were not the the issue it was somewhere else in the trailer,4 days later entire trailer rewired and put back together,then the service trailer wiring indicator starts popping up every ten minutes. When i rewired the trailer i replaced the trailer break away switch and battery, this was 3 days ago today my son and i went outside and i decided trying my commercial transport driver trick when a socket is loose would do the trick wrap a bit of handy electrical tape around plug, son started smelling plastic melting when i started the truck up to check it, unplugged  everything,noticed break away battery box had smoke coming out, little chip board inside is now cooked..that being said disconnected the break away switch and now everything works as it should..just dont understand why that would be an issue the break away system should be a functional part of the system..( side note found a random peice of metal in breakaway box that was issue)..    

• 2 months later...

I too have a problem with the service brake trailer system warning. I have researched on line and find many problems with the ITBC . You would think GM would have a recall on this matter. But no avail as I have asked two dealers if there was a recall, none noted. I have read that best choice is to replace entire electric brake system with an aftermarket system. One would think that GM would face up and do a recall. This problem goes back to at least 2010!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My 14 did this after I put slotted rotors on it. I noticed it did it either when reversing, or slowing down. So I found an open parking lot and got some speed in reverse and slammed the brakes a couple times and it stopped and hasn’t done it again.