Potential Lower Ball Joint Issue/Suspension Issue

Hey all, SO let me start by mentioning I changed out my stock lower ball joints to Moog lower ball joints on November 5th, 2016. This being said, I removed the stock LBJ after 40k miles (20k on level w/ stock tires, 20k on 6" RCX knuckle and spacer lift w/ 35x12.5 tires and 20x9 rims @ 0 offset), and it looks like I am needing to replace them AGAIN! Barely even 10k miles later I am seeing the same irregular wear pattern as when I had the stock ball joints. I greased them when new and at oil change (every 5k mark). I got the vehicle aligned the following day after I installed the new LBJ btw, and I also changed the UCA to cognito arms at the same time.

What I am curious of is if the issue is lying in the stock rancho shocks and the spacer lift maybe being too rough on the LBJ on the truck, this being said, does anyone else with more knowledge/experience in this area have any advice or other possible causes? I have searched the internet and haven't found anything really definitive so Im at a loss. I am at 50k right now and will have the truck at the shop within the week to get the alignment checked as well as other routine maintenance performed.

I am just at a total loss and don't want to run through these new tires nearly as fast as I went through my old ones (barely even 25k miles before the edges were at 10% tread remaining at best)

The rear tires are wearing beautifully but the fronts are wearing from the outside, in. The outer scalloped edges are all even and smoothed out, whereas the interior side of the tire still has extremely defined edges that look practically brand new

I'll get photos and attach for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lift your front end up completely on a jack stand or lift. Use a jack to cycle the suspension. What is the limiting factor for travel? If your LBJs are your limiting factor in downtravel, they are taking a beating when your suspension fully droops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions come to mind. Have you verified there is play in the ball joints? How are the tie rods? Are you rotating your tires properly? Photos would be good as without seeing the wear pattern, what it sounds like you are describing to me is you have feathering going on which is usually caused by worn tie rods. Those are heavy tires you're pushing around for that 1500. There is a reason why no HD trucks have rack and pinion steering. Depending on your angels, you may be stressing the ball joints because of the lift but I would definitely look closely at your tie rods as the ends may be worn or you may have even bent one. Just a couple maintenance suggests, rotate your tires on time (cross the non-drive axle) and perform regular alignment checks.

A few questions come to mind. Have you verified there is play in the ball joints? How are the tie rods? Are you rotating your tires properly? Photos would be good as without seeing the wear pattern, what it sounds like you are describing to me is you have feathering going on which is usually caused by worn tie rods. Those are heavy tires you're pushing around for that 1500. There is a reason why no HD trucks have rack and pinion steering. Depending on your angels, you may be stressing the ball joints because of the lift but I would definitely look closely at your tie rods as the ends may be worn or you may have even bent one. Just a couple maintenance suggests, rotate your tires on time (cross the non-drive axle) and perform regular alignment checks.

4x4 trucks don't cross over the non drive axle....straight back and forth.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Why is that as I honestly want to know. I've done this all my life and have never had any issues and I've always gotten great tire wear. Doing this also helps reverse certain wear patterns as those tires will eventually be rolling the opposite direction to even out that wear.

Why is that as I honestly want to know. I've done this all my life and have never had any issues and I've always gotten great tire wear. Doing this also helps reverse certain wear patterns as those tires will eventually be rolling the opposite direction to even out that wear.

Owners manual says to cross them

I was under the impression that the fronts cross to the opposite corner and the rears come straight forward. I usually let a shop do the rotation as I have 2 bad disks in my spine and heavy tires don't help it.

I plan to drop it off at the shop tomorrow morning and will post pics when I get out of class at 11 today.

Honestly don't remember what is limiting my down travel but I do remember not modifying anything when I installed the new cognito UCAs. Possible that the shop that installed my lift modified something tho.

I plan to get the shop to check to make sure it is the ball joints (or if it is something else) when they do the rotation and oil change tomorrow.

my apologies guys, I will get pics up soon! Been busy down here in South LA with this dang hurricane. Not being affected directly but have friends that are and have been helping them out the past few days.

also a small update. talked to the shop and they believe it is the upper ball joints because they are the cognito arms with the bolt in ball joint. They think that the bolts are allowing enough movement combined with the greasable joints at the frame to allow it to shift enough to wear the edges on hard turns. Will have a better update after alignment in the next few days

my apologies guys, I will get pics up soon! Been busy down here in South LA with this dang hurricane. Not being affected directly but have friends that are and have been helping them out the past few days.

also a small update. talked to the shop and they believe it is the upper ball joints because they are the cognito arms with the bolt in ball joint. They think that the bolts are allowing enough movement combined with the greasable joints at the frame to allow it to shift enough to wear the edges on hard turns. Will have a better update after alignment in the next few days

Something about that explanation from the shop doesn't sound kosher.

sounds like he needs a different alignment shop they are not getting the camber or toe in correct . when i switch to my k02 for the winter i adjust the toe in a quarter turn on both side to accomodate for the extra rolling resistance and when going back to my summer city sicker tires i toe it back out. i have been doing this for a lot of years on all the gm pickups i have owned

sounds like he needs a different alignment shop they are not getting the camber or toe in correct . when i switch to my k02 for the winter i adjust the toe in a quarter turn on both side to accomodate for the extra rolling resistance and when going back to my summer city sicker tires i toe it back out. i have been doing this for a lot of years on all the gm pickups i have owned

Geez I never thought about doing an alignment after upsizing tires. I had one done when the 5100's were installed but now wondering if I need to when I get 33's.

Geez I never thought about doing an alignment after upsizing tires. I had one done when the 5100's were installed but now wondering if I need to when I get 33's.

In theory you shouldn't need to when changing tire/wheel size and offset. But it doesn't hurt to get an alignment every time you buy new tires. Tires aren't cheap.

I have a 2015 Silverado 4x4 with 72000 on the truck with a 4" fabtech lift and 33s. After have the truck lift for a year I'm having to replace the upper passenger and lower drive side ball joints. I do all regular maintenance and rotate the tires every oil change. I'm replacing all 4 ball joints with moog heavy duty lower and fabtech heavy duty upper. I'm at a lose myself on why I'm having to do this so early

2015 z71 silverado

I have a 2015 Silverado 4x4 with 72000 on the truck with a 4" fabtech lift and 33s. After have the truck lift for a year I'm having to replace the upper passenger and lower drive side ball joints. I do all regular maintenance and rotate the tires every oil change. I'm replacing all 4 ball joints with moog heavy duty lower and fabtech heavy duty upper. I'm at a lose myself on why I'm having to do this so early

2015 z71 silverado

Big heavy tires wear things out faster, as do offset wheels too. The wheels acts like a lever on your hubs and ball joints

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived