Better Gas Mileage Mods

1 hour ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Trading your truck in for a car is the easiest, quickest and most cost efficient way to get more mileage. emoji1362.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha i know that! I just got my first truck and im liking it way to much to switch back to a car.

My gas mileage does not bother me, it was expected switching to a truck.. But if i chose an aftermarket cold air intake, and a new exhaust will that boost performance and mpg? or would it make it worse?

CAI tube and performance exhaust may make a minimal difference. I put an Airaid MIT on mine. haven't seen measurable results. Even the old wive's tale of tonneau cover are nearly insignificant.

Do to government regulations on fuel economy, the manufacturers already squeeze out about every mpg they can. most mods people do to trucks only hurt the aerodynamics. leaving your truck stock is the way to maintain your good mileage.

19 mpg is not bad for average use. Most of my tanks are in the 19-20 range, too. And that is according to the computer. when I hand calculate, my numbers are often a few tenths less, but pretty close to what the DIC says.

I can get up over 20 mpg for a tank if its all freeway. I just buy regular unleaded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aseibel said:

CAI tube and performance exhaust may make a minimal difference. I put an Airaid MIT on mine. haven't seen measurable results. Even the old wive's tale of tonneau cover are nearly insignificant.

Do to government regulations on fuel economy, the manufacturers already squeeze out about every mpg they can. most mods people do to trucks only hurt the aerodynamics. leaving your truck stock is the way to maintain your good mileage.

19 mpg is not bad for average use. Most of my tanks are in the 19-20 range, too. And that is according to the computer. when I hand calculate, my numbers are often a few tenths less, but pretty close to what the DIC says.

I can get up over 20 mpg for a tank if its all freeway. I just buy regular unleaded.

The only thing ive purchased for my truck sofar is the tonneau cover, out of convenience of keeping things covered and dry not for MPG. 

I was just curious because ive read forums of people getting much better MPG. I guess it could be a mixture of driving style and freeway driving possibly. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I also have a soft tonneau cover for convenience, not for MPG.

I always take others' self reported MPG with a grain of salt. There are way too many variables to compare different trucks and drivers. Small differences in tire pressure/size/tread pattern, wind, road surface, slope & elevation of terrain, cruise control, average speed, rate of acceleration, following other traffic, etc....... And that doesn't even cover all the differences between trucks or weight of cargo & passengers.

You are right in the middle of normal fuel economy. If you read through all these forums you will always find somebody higher or lower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Improving driving habits is a very effective way to improve mpg and the DIC is a great feature in assisting you.  I keep my fuel consumption screen on while driving and strive for the best results.  However, this is more for entertainment than economy.  Purchasing a 14+ truck and keeping it stock was a most significant fuel saver over my previous trucks!

• Like 2

Take it or leave it.

Things I’ve done that made a measureable improvement were:

1.)  Alignment. It was in spec…sort of…but far from perfect. Optimized.

2.)  Bed Cover. Lund soft roll up.

3.)  Scan Gauge II. It’s easier to modify your driving habits if you can see the cause and effect relationships and get instant feedback. Pavlov’s dog.

4.)  Make yourself comfortable. Seriously. It helps.

5.)  Get anal about tire pressures and run street all season tires.

6.)  Covered the top third of the radiator inlet. (weather and load permitting)

7.)  Ester based lubricants and heat management.

8.)  Never be in a hurry. No place I need to be I didn’t start for five minutes earlier than I needed to.  

Life time (50K miles) calculated average is over 26.5 MPG. My average day includes little town driving.

Things that hurt mileage people do every day.

1.)  Lift kits

2.)  Removing the front air dam.

3.)  Oversized wheels and tires that stick outside the body.

4.)  Light kits that are outside the trucks silhouette.

5.)  Tow mirrors when you don’t tow.

6.)  Tail gate nets or running with it down/removed.

7.)  Under inflated tires to soften the ride.

8.)  All Terrain tires on trucks that never leave the street.

9.)  AFM elimination.

• Like 8

Take it or leave it.

Things I’ve done that made a measureable improvement were:

1.)  Alignment. It was in spec…sort of…but far from perfect. Optimized.

2.)  Bed Cover. Lund soft roll up.

3.)  Scan Gauge II. It’s easier to modify your driving habits if you can see the cause and effect relationships and get instant feedback. Pavlov’s dog.

4.)  Make yourself comfortable. Seriously. It helps.

5.)  Get anal about tire pressures and run street all season tires.

6.)  Covered the top third of the radiator inlet. (weather and load permitting)

7.)  Ester based lubricants and heat management.

8.)  Never be in a hurry. No place I need to be I didn’t start for five minutes earlier than I needed to.  

Life time (50K miles) calculated average is over 26.5 MPG. My average day includes little town driving.

Things that hurt mileage people do every day.

1.)  Lift kits

2.)  Removing the front air dam.

3.)  Oversized wheels and tires that stick outside the body.

4.)  Light kits that are outside the trucks silhouette.

5.)  Tow mirrors when you don’t tow.

6.)  Tail gate nets or running with it down/removed.

7.)  Under inflated tires to soften the ride.

8.)  All Terrain tires on trucks that never leave the street.

9.)  AFM elimination.

9 things that make our trucks better :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did the 2in leveling kit from Skyjacker and ditched the 17 in Factory wheels and tires and went with 20 in x 10 inch rims. Put 275 55 20s on it which I run at 40 PSI. Just did a drop-in K&N filter and put aTonno Pro cover on and I am still in the 19 to 21 MPG range. The one thing with the wheels is I kept them as close to the factory backspacing as possible and they pretty much are even with the fenders. Besides the fact that I can't stand a truck that looks like a skateboard. And it's hard on your drivetrain parts. Haven't touched the exhaust because of the cylinder deactivation mode. Don't want to be running down the highway and have that drone sound and my ears all the time. If I had an ex cab four door cab configuration then I might consider it. But I made that mistake one other time with a Ram with the same cab and bed configuration and it drove me nuts. It was a Gibson exhaust that cut out in front of the right rear tire. I promptly put the stock exhaust back on it and sent the other one back. I guess you live and learn. What it really boils down to is your driving Style and keeping your tire pressure correct, and keeping your air filter clean.They're trucks, if they got great gas mileage everybody would  own one!