Better Gas Mileage Mods

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We digress a little but you and KARNUT speak to one of my reasons for preferring my truck. My back is such that after an hour or more of driving the challenge of standing can take a lot of effort.  Getting out of a truck allows me to depart vertically!  

I'm in that boat with you. (back) As much as I love the cars ride the truck now is almost identical in that respect (after the suspension modifications) and as you note it's a vertical drop. Easy step up. I like the seat height as well. More like the sofa than sitting in a nicely padded five gallon bucket. 

That be as it may, mileage is still a matter of controlling your right foots urge and over riding you brains impulses. Easier done when comfortable. 

If there was a way to get better gas mileage out of these trucks other than drive slower, the builders ( manufacturers) would do it. Soooo the obvious response would be if you don’t need one buy something that gets better gas mileage, right? I drove a truck daily for 40 years for work, nice ones I’m a business owner. My wife drove a car. Can’t imagine why a person would daily drive a truck that didn’t need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My daily driver is a Truck and technically I don't need one. What I do need however is 4 wheel drive. It's either spend 35k to 45k on an SUV or spend 35k to 45k on a pick up. At that point, it's all about looks for me.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I drive quite a bit and honestly 19 mpg is pretty good... I've had two GM trucks, old truck was a 2014 double cab 1500 4x4 3.42 V6 with highway tires new truck is a double cab 1500 4x4 3.42 V8, deleted front air dam  with slightly up sized cooper atw all terrain tires... I get about 19-20 mpg on rural roads/ high way, more like 17 in town with my new truck and that is all I ever really got with my old truck.... I had a buddy who drove like grandma with a cup of hot soup on his lap, always slow from the red lights etc, who had the same exact spec truck as I did, I drive slightly aggressive compared to most, I accelerate quickly etc... he and I got the same MPG outta our trucks... Your moving a heavy machine with a 5.3L V8, 19 mpg is pretty darn good... I always tell people if you're watching the MPG #'s on your truck you probably can't afford to be driving it...

On 11/18/2017 at 7:25 AM, KARNUT said:

Going to neutral while moving is never a good idea. You could accidentally go to reverse, you could need to suddenly accelerate. I can picture someone panicking flooring the gas while they’re going back in drive not pretty. Not to mention scrubbing speed braking instead of engine braking not efficient.

You can bump the selector into N and back into D.  In order to shift to R (from N/D), you have to pull the handle towards you and then move it into R.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:02 PM, Bushleaguechew said:

Engine braking is a closed throttle situation. It using less fuel. Your mileage display is not properly calculating the effect of coasting in neutral.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/amp5977/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy/

A moose runs out and you have to swerve and accelerate to avoid it. Your brakes suddenly overheat, fade and give out and there’s cars stopped at the bottom of the hill. You see a tractor trailer approaching you from behind rapidly, lights flashing and horn going clearly about to hit you and unable to stop.

I wasn't going off of the computer, all paper math.

The only moose that I have ever seen in CA are in zoos.  Antelope Valley is all high desert, +/-2300' altitude.  The only things that dart out in front of moving vehicles are squirrels, coyotes, rabbits, and snakes.

1 hour ago, Ravenkeeper said:

You can bump the selector into N and back into D.  In order to shift to R (from N/D), you have to pull the handle towards you and then move it into R.

I wasn't going off of the computer, all paper math.

The only moose that I have ever seen in CA are in zoos.  Antelope Valley is all high desert, +/-2300' altitude.  The only things that dart out in front of moving vehicles are squirrels, coyotes, rabbits, and snakes.

If i see a moose on the road in socal, I’m driving straight to the ER.  

• Like 1

I can picture in my mind a N cruiser approaching a intersection where the approaching traffic has to stop. As the N coasting driver enters the intersection out of the corner of his eye he sees the other driver didn’t stop. He mashes the gas, oh oh.

20 hours ago, Bash74 said:

Get your own tune that adjusts all parameters. The best thing i ever did. I averaged 17mpg with 6in lift on truck, towing a double axle trailer with a lot of household furniture from Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska through Canada.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, that was a good drive!  I'm old enough to have driven the Alaska Hwy before it was paved.  It was a beautiful drive then but driving hundreds of miles of gravel can do wonders to a paint job!

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I can picture in my mind a N cruiser approaching a intersection where the approaching traffic has to stop. As the N coasting driver enters the intersection out of the corner of his eye he sees the other driver didn’t stop. He mashes the gas, oh oh.

Pessimist much?

No intersections on any of the hills/mountains that I roll in N.  Besides, if that were the case, your cruiser was doing it wrong.

Decel tables on new stuff shuts off the fuel on coast down. N is not required. Uses more fuel and in most states is illegal. Why? Because the majority KNOW its dangerous.  California Section 21710:

The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

On 11/27/2017 at 8:11 PM, Obscenejesster said:

My daily driver is a Truck and technically I don't need one. What I do need however is 4 wheel drive. It's either spend 35k to 45k on an SUV or spend 35k to 45k on a pick up. At that point, it's all about looks for me.

I do that. Lately, it seems, lots of other people do too. I read the other week that the number one selling vehicle to people making over $150,000 per year was the F150. 

7 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

Well, I wish I made 150k a year. I'm just a firefighter who makes a little over 80k.

Me too. I spend the kind of money on my truck that would get me a lecture from lots of people here. 

I'm just saying you don't need to be a worker using the capabilities of your truck to buy one anymore. Down here in Austin, it seems like every other vehicle is a full-sized pickup, and EVERY car is foreign. :>(

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, Tom2015 said:

Last summer cruising in the Banff National Park In Alberta at 111KM/H (69MPH) I averaged 6.5L/100KM (36.2MPG) over 10000KM (6200 Miles). This year on major highways at 125KM/H (78MPH) I'm averaging 8.7L/100KM (27MPG) I mainly drive highways only about 15% city driving. I have a Borla catback from my Dealer and tow mirrors, 3.42 rear end and 18 inch wheels. I typically use cruise on the highway and now have 64000KM on the odo. However when using Autotrac or 4wd my mileage jumps to 16.4L/100km (14.4MPG). Overall I love my truck and will keep it forever, may buy a car for the summers as I miss having a manual transmission.

IMG_6919.jpg

What engine? what cab, what box, what gearing, what trans?

I struggled to maintain 10-11L/100km when my truck was stock around 100-110km/h with cruise or manual intervention. '16 crew cab short box LT z71, 5.3L with 3.43gearing bone stock 6 speed

Also, that 6.5L/100km is only for a certain mileage (the largest history being 650km). I understand you may have maintained that during the whole trip but I find it hard to believe.

Personally I think I can drive better and smarter than cruise can, therefore you can actually save gas if you have the patience and control.

I do that. Lately, it seems, lots of other people do too. I read the other week that the number one selling vehicle to people making over $150,000 per year was the F150. 

Is that true? That’s an interesting statistic.