I have water/ice build up on capless fuel filler neck

Has anyone found a good fix for keeping fuel filler neck free from water and or ice? I went to get gas today for second time in new truck and saw ice after opening gas door. I skipped filling up and vaccuumed out any ice below first gas tank opening. If ice water can get in that also is saying it isn’t air tight which also isn’t good. 

7 hours ago, 2018 Silveraydo said:

Has anyone found a good fix for keeping fuel filler neck free from water and or ice? I went to get gas today for second time in new truck and saw ice after opening gas door. I skipped filling up and vaccuumed out any ice below first gas tank opening. If ice water can get in that also is saying it isn’t air tight which also isn’t good. 

Simple and effective solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382009468868?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

:thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice this issue.

The first time I saw this was in a heavy rain storm when I filled with gas, the water was sitting on top of the cap less flapper and I thought this can't be good over the life of the truck!?

I haven't looked close at Ford's design to see if their having the same problem.

I hope GM will look at this before some damage is done to the fuel system?

Looks like some people are using plumbing type plugs https://www.homedepot.com/s/2%20inch%20Oatey%20test%20plug?NCNI-5&AID=11210757&PID=6158247&SID=jbuwcdaz7z00ytcz001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6158247-_-11210757&cj=true   I may get one myself and try it. I have seen dust/dirt and water there at times I always try to wipe out if I see anything but you know some crap is getting into the tank.  

Just asking...why couldn't we swap out the newer cap less filler neck with a 2016 design filler neck?

Has anyone tried this yet?

This would solve the fuel tank contamination issue and if you wanted to add a lockable fuel cap you would that option too.

Edited by Rubyralph

DSCN0351.JPG.627a56f57b9564a47f8a3171365e14e5.JPGIs that what we've come to......to help people too stupid too remove or reinstall a gas cap properly? Been filling up for over 50 years without cross threading a cap or having one fall off!

That stupid capless design was is applied to my '18 Traverse appears to be the future. BUT, they redesigned the outer door panel with a baffle that fits into a recess covering the recesonce the outer door is closed nothing larger than dust can enter the filling area and untill the day when the planet loses gravity the drip sill prevents water/ice entry.  Certainly not ready to try that plastic cap system at $7 for a 10 cent pcv tubing end cap. System requires venting just like ones with a check valve in the gas filler cap. Not willing to be the first to make it an air tight seal and later find a vacuum starved the fuel supply or collapse the gas tank.

Edited by Thomcat
Similar to another post where I added photo

Dang Good Point!  the plug probably DOES NOT need to seal at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All that is needed is a loose fitting "dust" cover to sit over the entire fuel filler top stem. A nice rubber cap should work well but i would like to have something with a grab handle of some kind. I will keep an eye out next time I am at the plumbing supply I bet there is something stock off the shelf (cheap) that will work just fine as a dust cover.   

• 3 weeks later...

Re:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=201534

An ingenious solution for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place - a locking dust cap for a capless gas filler pipe. Of course, GM didn't say it was available under recall, or worse, at no cost to the owners -  likely because it is not free, just "available".

Let's see if I'm wrong and they really do hand them out for free. If not, nothing more than a joke on owners, forcing a buyer of a $50K vehicle to pay extra for an  extra gas cap instead of designing a "free" passive dust shield integral with the fuel door for the capless pipe, like the new Traverse - and who are they kidding, this "lock" was not really designed to provide security like a locking threaded gas cap for a standard fill pipe, this "lock" is necessary to keep this unthreaded kludge from falling off. Looks like a real quick design for the keylock portion too, as if water wouldn't seep past that retractable cover for the keyslot, or when inserting a wet key in the rain and later freeze in the tumblers just like it used to do in the same type keyslots of the 50's - 60's era push button door handles or even in dry weather waiting for someone to jamb their fat mitts in there trying to unlock that cheapo lock and break off the key!  Then it's: "No gas for you!"

Edited by Thomcat