Heads up and check your oil level (UPDATED)

This could be more GM Engineering Genius, maybe this is their latest answer to oil consumption issues and the dropping sales volume. If the engine dumps the right amount of gas into the oil it will look like it is staying full and never uses any oil between changes plus the gasoline will wash all the bearing surfaces and the engine will destroy itself at just over the 60,000 mile warranty period creating a huge volume of replacement engine and vehicle sales. It is a GM WIN/WIN.    

To me this is why GM made it an 8qt sump. To help with any fuel dilution problems that the DI engine might encounter.  Nature of the beast so to speak.  Mazda and their Skyactive system is just as bad if not worse for fuel dilution.  They also have high compression engines.

It is always good to keep an eye on things under the hood.  You just never know.  This is also why I do used oil analysis with Dyson Analysis.  If you develop any issues a UOA can point them out before they get worse.

Got the truck from the dealer this afternoon.  They replaced the HPFP and did an oil change.  Told me to bring it back at the end of the week so they can check it for fuel contamination again just in case it was not the fuel pump and was something else like a bad injector.  I'll probably be pulling the old dipstick between now and then o check for myself.  

Well chapter 2 of this adventure has begun.  The HPFP replacement doesn't seem to have solved the problem.  Fresh oil change first of week and oil in gas again by Friday.  Truck is scheduled to go back in Monday for injector replacements.  Hopefully the 2nd time is the charm.  I'll update after I see if fix #2 works.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a member pm me today and ask about an update.  I hadn't updated this thread because I'm honestly in a holding pattern via GM.  Dealership ordered parts and scheduled appointment to replace injectors. However GM contacted them and told them to hold off on injector replacement.  They told them to change the oil again, (second time in a week), and for me to drive the truck about 1K.  They thought the gasoline smell after HPFP replacement might be from residual left over under the valve covers and in other nooks and crannies.  So I've driven it some.  So far the jury is still out.  I'm hopeful it might actually be fixed as I'm not smelling the gasoline like I did.  Oil level seems to be steady as well.  I'll update after 1K miles.

7 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Had a member pm me today and ask about an update.  I hadn't updated this thread because I'm honestly in a holding pattern via GM.  Dealership ordered parts and scheduled appointment to replace injectors. However GM contacted them and told them to hold off on injector replacement.  They told them to change the oil again, (second time in a week), and for me to drive the truck about 1K.  They thought the gasoline smell after HPFP replacement might be from residual left over under the valve covers and in other nooks and crannies.  So I've driven it some.  So far the jury is still out.  I'm hopeful it might actually be fixed as I'm not smelling the gasoline like I did.  Oil level seems to be steady as well.  I'll update after 1K miles.

Probably So?  I mean where else are you going to get the fuel from?  Leaking injector is it...and what is not burned off after setting will find it's way into the crankcase very quickly...The good thing is you need a high amount to destroy the oil 

11 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Maybe kick the can down the road during the warranty 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, Foghorn17 said:

Hey guys first post here, I just bought a new '17 a little over a week ago. Oil level rising and gas smell. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for drop off. Any update on your 1k Miles? 

I'm at about 750 miles.  The gas smell seems to have lessened, but the darned oil level looks to be rising.  So I'm not entirely sure, but it's looking like there still may be a problem.  Going to get her back into the dealer in a few days.  Even if they don't do anything, I want to document everything in case things deteriorate in the future.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:10 PM, tnchevy said:

Good to know but everyone should be checking their oil, tires, trans, belts, etc at least once a month.  

Yup...Vehicle ownership 101. I've read that the 8 speeds don't have a trans dipstick. Is that the case?

One would think as long as fuel injectors have been around that they would be reliable.  I understand that DI has higher pressures but a fuel injector isn't that complicated.  Seems to me the lowest bidder is using poor quality materials to make these injectors if they are failing so often.

• Like 1

I changed the oil in my truck and filled it to the top of the hatched area on the dipstick. A few weeks later I checked the oil again and it was about a quarter of an inch above the hatch area. I wonder if I have this problem. I have a 2015 with about 30k on the clock.