Heads up and check your oil level (UPDATED)

So I had the local dealer do my 2nd free service in middle December.  Since I usually do my own service, I ALWAYS check over work when someone else does it.  So when the truck got home and sat overnight, I checked the oil level.  It was perfect and to the top of the hatched area on the dipstick.  No overfill.  A couple of other checks over the past month and the oil level was perfect. Flash forward to Monday this week.  I decided to check the oil level as the truck had been sitting overnight and was in the garage.  When I pulled the dipstick the oil read almost 1/2 inch over the full mark.  Made no sense as it had been fine after the oil change and in the couple of other checks since.  Long story short I took 2 or 3 readings and it was the same every time.  Finally got a good whiff of the oil and smelled strongly of gasoline.  I pulled the oil fill cap off the valve cover and it wouldn't have smelled no stronger of gas if it had been a gas cap.  

Had the truck in to the local dealer and they contacted GM Techline.  According to them my truck is the fifth reported truck with the same problem this week.  In the grand scheme of things 5 trucks out of the multiplied thousands on the road is statistically nothing, BUT it doesn't hurt to check your oil level.  I'm very thankful my dad instilled in me the notion to keep an eye on things automotive.  Oil, coolant, tire pressure etc.  GM believes the culprit is the high pressure fuel pump leaking into the crankcase.  The part is on order and we'll soon see if they are correct.  As for my truck I believe I caught it soon enough that there was no damage.  Glad i checked the oil level when I did.  Gasoline washing down the cylinders and bearings can't be a good thing and long term it definitely would not have been.  Glad i took the time to pull the dipstick.

Long story short, keep an eye on your oil level and take a sniff every now an then.  i'll update when I get the truck back.

Edited by Foghorn17
update
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BamCam said:

I am guessing my brother was one of the other 4!  See my recent post in the below thread.  HPFP was replaced as you stated.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/208388-2017-53l8-speed-lugging-at-throttle-tip-in/?page=3

Thanks for the info.  I guess we'll see what happens with mine.  Just wondering how many people may have this problem who never crack the hood.  As stated by tnchevy people should check these things, but how many do outside those of us who would join a forum like this in the first place?

Thank God I am not alone anymore  I have been battling with GM for a year now.   I have the exact same problem with my 2016.  They have been thinking I am some kind of nut because I am the only one with this problem.   Mine acts up when it is very cold outside like -15 degrees Celcius, or colder.   The oil level will go up ¼ inch in a few days.  They have put in 4 fuel pumps, and last time after I had an oil analysis  because they keep telling me “no problem found”,  lol… they also replaced injectors and this problem  still persists.   I am very thankful Foghorn17 that you posted this.   It proves at least in a few trucks there is something going on. If you get this resolved,   please post what was done to repair,  and I will do the same if it ever gets fixed.

Edited by txab
to large of font

Not the first time that GM has had problems with the DI high pressure fuel pumps. When GM went to DI on the 2.4 L 4 banger used in their Equinoxs and Terrains in 2010 it took them 2 to 3 years to get it ironed out. They ended up replacing pistons, rings, and camshaft chains in many of these engines on a special extended warranty. Gasoline washed the cylinder walls down causing premature wear and excessive oil burning. And of course GM initially denied anything was wrong and made the owners of these vehicles go through the inconvenience of the dealer oil consumption test, finally a light bulb went on at corporate and a revised fuel pump and extended warranty plan was instituted.

• Like 1

So I had the local dealer do my 2nd free service in middle December.  Since I usually do my own service, I ALWAYS check over work when someone else does it.  So when the truck got home and sat overnight, I checked the oil level.  It was perfect and to the top of the hatched area on the dipstick.  No overfill.  A couple of other checks over the past month and the oil level was perfect. Flash forward to Monday this week.  I decided to check the oil level as the truck had been sitting overnight and was in the garage.  When I pulled the dipstick the oil read almost 1/2 inch over the full mark.  Made no sense as it had been fine after the oil change and in the couple of other checks since.  Long story short I took 2 or 3 readings and it was the same every time.  Finally got a good whiff of the oil and smelled strongly of gasoline.  I pulled the oil fill cap off the valve cover and it wouldn't have smelled no stronger of gas if it had been a gas cap.  

Had the truck in to the local dealer and they contacted GM Techline.  According to them my truck is the fifth reported truck with the same problem this week.  In the grand scheme of things 5 trucks out of the multiplied thousands on the road is statistically nothing, BUT it doesn't hurt to check your oil level.  I'm very thankful my dad instilled in me the notion to keep an eye on things automotive.  Oil, coolant, tire pressure etc.  GM believes the culprit is the high pressure fuel pump leaking into the crankcase.  The part is on order and we'll soon see if they are correct.  As for my truck I believe I caught it soon enough that there was no damage.  Glad i checked the oil level when I did.  Gasoline washing down the cylinders and bearings can't be a good thing and long term it definitely would not have been.  Glad i took the time to pull the dipstick.

Long story short, keep an eye on your oil level and take a sniff every now an then.  i'll update when I get the truck back.

What model? How many miles? What engine? Gas is about equal to 0W-20 right? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC Sierra Denali.  5.3 with the 8-speed.  Truck has between 10 and 11K miles.  Truck runs and drives perfect.  There's no indication anything is wrong other than the overfill (with gasoline).  No CEL, no performance issues, no change in gas mileage other than what would be attributed to winter blend gasoline.

Who knows gasoline may be thicker than 0w-20  lol

• Like 1

Hope they fix your truck Foghorn17.

Check your oil?

What a concept.

When I read the posts that the low oil light came on I wonder how is the owner smart enough to have a job to afford the truck.

Sorry to be so frank.

I just don't comprehend how checking your oil isn't a routine like brushing your teeth.

Simple, easy to do.

The masses prove to me that this is one fault of many.

Here in Colorado the state implemented a fine for drivers traveling I-70 into the mountains mainly to go skiing for having bad tires.

These people were causing traffic jambs because they couldn't move and accidents.

Saw a car the other day with donuts for tires.

Ruining rotors and drums because you didn't put pads or shoes on.

The list goes on.

Owners manual?

Scheduled maintenance?

OK, I'm done.

:)

• Like 3

Yeah Diyer  :thumbs:

Like I said, my dad instilled in me the need to keep an eye on things automotive.  About 6 years ago the wife had a tire rotation done on her car at Sears Auto; the tires had been bought there.  Anyway, I ALWAYS take a torque wrench and check behind shops when they touch my wheels.  That day I forgot it.  Long story short when I did check later in the week I found 5 out of 20 (5 lug wheels) lugs had been cross threaded and three of those were on one wheel.  Everybody can make mistakes, but when it's your rear-end riding in the vehicle you tend to care a little more.

This oil problem happened within the last couple of weeks as I usually pull the dipstick on average once every couple of weeks.  Back at the beginning of January all was normal.  Funny thing, the service tech asked me how I figured this problem out, I told him I keep an eye on things and just checked the oil.  Guess that's how unusual folks like us have become.

My guess is that the seal that seals the shaft that runs off the cam has gone bad allowing fuel to drip into the engine.  GM had a similar problem with other direct injected vehicles.  Dealership is waiting on parts.  While its in they are going to go ahead and do the 8-speed update transmission flash.  Not worried about it they'll get it right or something else will have to happen; it all works out.

Edited by Foghorn17

24 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

Yeah Diyer  :thumbs:

Like I said, my dad instilled in me the need to keep an eye on things automotive.  About 6 years ago the wife had a tire rotation done on her car at Sears Auto; the tires had been bought there.  Anyway, I ALWAYS take a torque wrench and check behind shops when they touch my wheels.  That day I forgot it.  Long story short when I did check later in the week I found 5 out of 20 (5 lug wheels) lugs had been cross threaded and three of those were on one wheel.  Everybody can make mistakes, but when it's your rear-end riding in the vehicle you tend to care a little more.

This oil problem happened within the last couple of weeks as I usually pull the dipstick on average once every couple of weeks.  Back at the beginning of January all was normal.  Funny thing, the service tech asked me how I figured this problem out, I told him I keep an eye on things and just checked the oil.  Guess that's how unusual folks like us have become.

My guess is that the seal that seals the shaft that runs off the cam has gone bad allowing fuel to drip into the engine.  GM had a similar problem with other direct injected vehicles.  Dealership is waiting on parts.  While its in they are going to go ahead and do the 8-speed update transmission flash.  Not worried about it they'll get it right or something else will have to happen; it all works out. 

So true...and those that check these things are the "crazies" to the service advisers.  They get bent out of shape when you know how things work and they can't try to fleece you into BS causes of problems and unnecessary work.   Hell I think half of them really don't know anything about mechanical stuff, just BS artists.  

Edited by aaronarf
  • Like 1