Heads up and check your oil level (UPDATED)

No this is a Denali Ultimate which has the 6.2 engine. Dealer service guy claims that their machine that fills the oil from the bulk container was out of calibration and they over filled the truck Tuesday? Hmmmm really surprises me that the tech did not even check the dipstick, that seems totally negligent to me? Anyway they drained the oil today and then refilled it to just below the full level which I verified before I drove off this time!  I will keep a close eye on the oil level from here forward. Bad thing is now I have my EYE on a nice Ford F-150 Platinum edition and man does that thing have some bells and whistles LOL  

• 1 month later...

Update oil level has not gone up, bad news is it is going down a bit now which may be indicating some oil usage. I have driven about 2000 miles since the issue. Might be my imagination playing tricks on me but the engine also sounds more noisy to me now. I have a dysonlabs test kit in the truck and once I hit 5000 miles I will take a sample and send it off. Dealership says no damage and is refusing to do any analysis so this is all on me. Not real happy with these guys right now. I guess it is just a bad service department at Beaman GMC in downtown Nashville. Check this out when i had it in I asked them to replace a bad piece of plastic trim on the dash that was sticking up above the dash pad. These guys actually typed on the work order that no action could be taken and that it was "operating as designed" JEEEZ C'mon man. Here is a pic of the dash piece. Is there anyone in the right mind out there that thinks GM designed this piece to stick up and annoy the chit out of the driver of a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate the friggin flagship of the truck line with a MSRP over 64k? I guess I am going to have to change dealerships LOL.   NOTE: I cannot bring myself to buy a Ford truck, looked at them and I just do not like them.... 

IMG_5243.jpg

Edited by Dnt

3 hours ago, Dnt said:

Update oil level has not gone up, bad news is it is going down a bit now which may be indicating some oil usage. I have driven about 2000 miles since the issue. Might be my imagination playing tricks on me but the engine also sounds more noisy to me now. I have a dysonlabs test kit in the truck and once I hit 5000 miles I will take a sample and send it off. Dealership says no damage and is refusing to do any analysis so this is all on me. Not real happy with these guys right now. I guess it is just a bad service department at Beaman GMC in downtown Nashville. Check this out when i had it in I asked them to replace a bad piece of plastic trim on the dash that was sticking up above the dash pad. These guys actually typed on the work order that no action could be taken and that it was "operating as designed" JEEEZ C'mon man. Here is a pic of the dash piece. Is there anyone in the right mind out there that thinks GM designed this piece to stick up and annoy the chit out of the driver of a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate the friggin flagship of the truck line with a MSRP over 64k? I guess I am going to have to change dealerships LOL.   NOTE: I cannot bring myself to buy a Ford truck, looked at them and I just do not like them.... 

IMG_5243.jpg

I have the same issue with the dash (but only in one spot), but I figured that leaving it alone would be better than have someone try to fix it. Don't know how they would as there are no clips in this immediate area. My truck doesn't have any creaks or rattles and I want to keep it that way. Now I just laugh that something can be so poorly designed and make it into production.

The same trim sticks up on mine.... except in front of the steering wheel. [emoji19] I will bring it in for them to switch it out but after I swap the dealer that services mine. The last service I had was a popping in the steering wheel (2× bringing it in) and on day #7 being there I came in to see why I was unable to get a hold of anyone by phone or message "monitored by manager" plus left a memo with receptionist and by the end of the next day still hadn't heard from them. Go in and they had my steering wheel removed but "didn't have the tool to work on it ( same excuse I heard on day 3, might I add). I'll say I was less than pleasant when hearing they had not attempted to get the tool. They have to put in a grommet they left out (supposed to call next day to explain) still haven't heard from them. Waiting patiently for when I have time to get a hold of them and get put in and then I'm going to leave them a fantastic review and wash my hands of them.

IMG_5243.thumb.jpg.dec2ca00f61c21ad9db898990e442133.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Dnt said:

I have a dysonlabs test kit in the truck and once I hit 5000 miles I will take a sample and send it off.

Dyson customer since 2007. Terry Dyson is top notch and his advanced analysis kit (which has admittedly gone up on price over the years) is worth the money for the insight he can give you. If you email him with questions, he may very well be able to give you advice to use for BEFORE you have to send the sample in. Hope he can help you get your truck straightened out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 10:54 PM, '17 Sierra said:

Remember that GDI engines WILL normally get fuel past the rings and into the crankcase. Just because you can smell gas on the oil cap and on the dipstick does not mean you have a problem. A rising oil level however does indicate a problem. Make sure to be consistent on when you check it too; fully warmed up like after at least 15-25 miles and always level.

Remember GM states directly from the manual to let the truck sit and check it cold NOT hot on flat ground.

Got around to changing my oil and sent out the sample from reading this post.  Just got my Blackstone laboratories oil analysis back:

2018 LT 5.3L 6 speed

3211 miles

mid-stream/hot

3% fuel in sample ( <2% normal)

everything else normal for new break in engine

When I change it again I will take a cold sample first, then get hot and check back in.  Oil level was normal before changing.  Thanks for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I got my Blue truck FIXED  today at Laura GMC. (Traded it in)   To me a large amount of gasoline in the oil crankcase pretty much guarantees a shortened engine life span. Laura had an unbelievable deal on Denali's almost 18k off MSRP they were of course pretty low on my tradein value but to me it was worth a few thousand to get a brand new truck and hopefully (fingers crossed knock on wood etc) this one will not have any serious issues. I put 300 miles on it driving back today and man it drives good plus it is really purty.... I am going to keep the dysonlabs sample bottle and just for grins and giggles have them do an analysis on this new engine at first oil change.  Oh I almost forgot I had them install a GM Borla Dual exhaust on this new one, I really missed that sound when I had it on my 2016 Denali. Dash trim looks flat on this one right now LOL.          

Black BeautyIMG_5806.jpg

Edited by Dnt
added info

Beautiful looking truck, and I've got to hand it to you for your brand loyalty, most of us would have jumped ship with what you've gone through.

I'm a tech and sometimes I see Silverados come in. I do see some oil usage with the newer body styles (2014 and up). Not all of them, but some. Just last week we had two 2014's in for service...one was a good two quarts low, she's always two quarts low when she comes in (the truck has 55,000 miles on it). She's not the type to take care of her truck by any means, I think she's had a few long oil change intervals and has come in before complaining her oil light was on. The other truck has 92,000 miles (2014). The guy uses it for construction, it's always idling, it's always a mess. His oil was maybe a little over a half quart low. I'll give you an example of this guy letting his truck idle...one day he was talking to me for like fifteen minutes...the truck is out there just running as he's inside talking and I wasn't like...hey you let that thing just run like that?? And he said yeah I never shut it off. I just laughed. 

On the flip side I've seen plenty 2014's and up that are just fine with oil usage. I will say that the frames - especially on the 14's - are rusted like I see on trucks that are 15 years old. Shocking actually. I would highly advise anyone buying one of these trucks to do a yearly rust prevention treatment (come to think of it I'm doing mine next week, I'll be doing it again right before the winter too).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Gday folks,

Sadly Ive run into the same problem with the HPFP on my 2015 Yukon SLE. My symptoms have been on/off for the last 20,000 miles. Finally took it in and the stealership pointed out the HPFP. I am having a hell of a time arguing with GM in covering the repair under my 5/100,000 Powertrain warranty (my current mileage is 89000).

My question to all is: Has anyone been able to cover this repair with their POWER-TRAIN warranty?

Thanks

On 2/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Your used oil will always have a scent of gasoline. Especially in these DI motors I find. 

I call total horse crap on that.

My car is an early DI engine; BMW's twin turbo N54.  Notorious for injector and HPFP issues when released, which took many revisions to mostly resolve (among a number of other common issues).  My last oil analysis from Blackstone was 6,864 miles and 1 year on the oil.  Less than 0.5% fuel in the oil - they considered less than 2% the normal.  That mostly mixed driving and is a car targeting ~2x stock boost on stock turbos (16psi vs stock 8psi) and I'm not easy on the right pedal with her.  That's a car with 140k on her at the time.  She has been well cared for her whole life and most are amazed it has that many miles, but if an early, problematic, modified DI motor only has basically no fuel in the oil, these motors shouldn't either.  

I've never smelled fuel in any oil change on any of my vehicles, and I do all my own oil changes.  I do have an upgraded PCV valve and catch can on my BMW, as oil control is garbage on the N54.  I will be adding a catch can to my L86 as well when it arrives in a few days, but this shouldn't have any impact on fuel in the oil system.  For my BMW, the only time fuel is known to get in the oil is with a leaky injector - a typical symptom is a long crank to start and rough running for the first several seconds after starting it after it sits for a while; this is something that needs to be immediately corrected or bearing failure is a guarantee.  

Any fuel smell in my oil would be highly concerning.  Looks like I will need to monitor this closely.  I hope it is more of a L83 problem than L86, though it appears it can plague both motors.

• 4 weeks later...