Heads up and check your oil level (UPDATED)

Hello all, I got a call from my service writer on Thursday. He said that there's no excess fuel in the oil and that it was simply overfilled with oil. I'm sure they did an oil analysis, right!? I do my own oil changs and have done my own oil changes for the last 35 years. I did not overfill the oil. I told them to leave it alone and I will drain some oil out. What I'm going to do is give it an oil change and take an oil sample to have oil analysis done on it. I'm also going to start saving oil samples from each oil change for future reference.

Truck's still in the shop awaiting a second new exhaust system, but,  I'll do this as soon as I can when I get it back.

I have never had an "Oil Analysis" done. I assume that it is a lab that you mail the sample to? Who do you guys recommend that are accurate and reasonably priced. Would be interesting to see the results I guess if it is not a expensive deal.

14 minutes ago, Dnt said:

I have never had an "Oil Analysis" done. I assume that it is a lab that you mail the sample to? Who do you guys recommend that are accurate and reasonably priced. Would be interesting to see the results I guess if it is not a expensive deal.

I would also be interested in analysis recommendations. 

Nothing wrong with doing an oil analysis, but with my case as a point of reference, you are looking at substantial amount of gasoline in the crankcase.  Dealer told me before they replaced the HPFP that there was close to a quart in my oil.  Trust me there was no doubt gasoline was in the oil and oil analysis isn't necessary if you have the problem I had initially.  Trust me, you'll know there's an issue.  Just glad that so far there doesn't seem to be any ill effects of this; glad I caught it early.

3 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Nothing wrong with doing an oil analysis, but with my case as a point of reference, you are looking at substantial amount of gasoline in the crankcase.  Dealer told me before they replaced the HPFP that there was close to a quart in my oil.  Trust me there was no doubt gasoline was in the oil and oil analysis isn't necessary if you have the problem I had initially.  Trust me, you'll know there's an issue.  Just glad that so far there doesn't seem to be any ill effects of this; glad I caught it early.

My 2017 gas cap smells of gas too.....but I'm not sure if all my vehicles' gas caps wouldn't have smelled the same if I'd checked, so how was your issue super-obvious?  Mostly evident due to the increased total volume on the oil dipstick?  My truck seems to idle and run just fine.....

11 hours ago, kevinfranklin said:

My 2017 gas cap smells of gas too.....but I'm not sure if all my vehicles' gas caps wouldn't have smelled the same if I'd checked, so how was your issue super-obvious?  Mostly evident due to the increased total volume on the oil dipstick?  My truck seems to idle and run just fine.....

Yeah, the oil level on the dipstick was crazy high and I thought I smelled gasoline on the dipstick.  When I pulled the oil filler cap it  smelled like a gas cap.  Truck ran fine with no lights or issues.  The dealer sent an oil sample off for analysis, but never revealed the gasoline content of the oil to me.  I got no argument that there was an issue from them.  It was super obvious something was wrong.

You can get a kit from AMSOIL that uses Oil Analyzers, as well as a kit from Dysonanalysis

I like to use Dysonanalysis, he does more than just send a report on a PDF with a small paragraph explaining the results.  He sends a .wav file that you listen to as he goes over the PDF report.  Also if you have any questions you can e-mail or call him.  To me it is well worth the extra cost.

He caught an issue with my daughters Cruze.  Took it in for service and the dealer found an issue with the intake leaking.  It was caught before it got worse and fixed under warranty.

Ok, just an update on my truck.  I dropped it off this morning and picked it up an hour ago.  They replaced the HPFP, and changed the oil. I guess only time will tell.  I checked the dipstick and took pictures of it this time.  Yea I might be a little picky but its a brand new damn truck, I want it to last.  I will update if anything changes.  

20180301_194559rs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP I feel like I owe everyone an update and hopefully final end to my part of the story.

The truck has about 1200 miles since the last oil change.  Went by the dealer today and both they and I believe the problem has been fixed with the replacement of the HPFP. The smell of gas is very faint and the oil level seems to be holding steady.  So at the risk of jinxing myself I'm calling this issue fixed. 

KD5FPV, I actually got to speak to the tech who worked on my truck.  He told me it was an internal diaphragm in the HPFP that failed.  My work invoice wasn't that clear, or as clear as yours (as read above), but yours mentioned an internal failure and what he told me matches your invoice.  Makes me wonder if it was a bad batch of fuel pumps.  My truck was delivered in January 2017. 

Hope this thread proves helpful for anyone who runs into this problem themselves.   

Edited by Foghorn17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn17 said:

As the OP I feel like I owe everyone an update and hopefully final end to my part of the story.

The truck has about 1200 miles since the last oil change.  Went by the dealer today and both they and I believe the problem has been fixed with the replacement of the HPFP. The smell of gas is very faint and the oil level seems to be holding steady.  So at the risk of jinxing myself I'm calling this issue fixed. 

KD5FPV, I actually got to speak to the tech who worked on my truck.  He told me it was an internal diaphragm in the HPFP that failed.  My work invoice wasn't that clear, or as clear as yours (as read above), but yours mentioned an internal failure and what he told me matches your invoice.  Makes me wonder if it was a bad batch of fuel pumps.  My truck was delivered in January 2017. 

Hope this thread proves helpful for anyone who runs into this problem themselves.   

Isn't the HPFP in the tank ?  How does this affect the oil level maybe I am missing something here ?

1 minute ago, Artie61 said:

Isn't the HPFP in the tank ?  How does this affect the oil level maybe I am missing something here ?

Ok I guess super high pressure caused the seals to leak , I would think a code would be thrown because there are sensors for lost pressure but  not for higher pressure? , all these things keep me up at night !!!!