GM Pickup with a Console Shifter ?

I have seen the future. On the column it stays...

(OK, actually most of us here seen the future but it sounded cool to say it.)

How’s your flux capacitor Marty?

Ryan B.
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

I have seen the future. On the column it stays...

(OK, actually most of us here seen the future but it sounded cool to say it.)

How did you enjoy the autoshow?

I don't think GM will ever offer a traditional console shifter. GM trucks have been column shifters because GM wants to keep the console free for your junk.

The 2019 Silverado will still only have a column shifter available.

2019 Ram has gone for a dial/knob shifter mainly for space savings.

My 2500 is the first column shift vehicle I've owned since high school. It definitely sort of just 'feels' more right than the console in a truck. But overall, I'm fairly indifferent and it doesn't make any real difference to me. I'm more focused on the mechanicals of the truck. 

According to the GM engineers you won't find the shifter anywhere but the column.  The console real estate is way to pricy. Now if you take a look at the new Terrain Denali (and maybe other trims) they have a push button R-N-D and an L with a +/- button on it. Then on the console is a rotary switch for 2WD/4WD/Mountain/Towing etc

Edited by 2017HD

I would like a floor shifter with an extra clutch pedal. last truck had a six speed. real nice for plowing snow, up for 1st and down for reverse. clutch lasted 175000. clutch was still good but the pressure plate lost tension. how many autos last that long abusing them.especially plowing.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:22 PM, 2017HD said:

According to the GM engineers you won't find the shifter anywhere but the column.  The console real estate is way to pricy. Now if you take a look at the new Terrain Denali (and maybe other trims) they have a push button R-N-D and an L with a +/- button on it. Then on the console is a rotary switch for 2WD/4WD/Mountain/Towing etc

I was watching a fast lane truck video and the GM rep compared the space to real estate in Tokyo.  I am inclined to agree. 

• 3 months later...

I’m a column shifter guy.  Agree about the extra space it provides.

btw, The GM twins have stayed with a key ignition system which I’m ok with.  Wondering why though when virtually every other vehicle has a keyless fob.  I know lots of marketing research goes into these sorts of decisions.  Just wondering if anyone has come across GM’s logic for staying with the key...

It was easy to keep things the way they were. But it appears push button start is at the very least an option on the new trucks. Not sure if the lower trim trucks get it, but from interior pics the LTZ's and up get it. 

I want the "console" shifter that comes with a third pedal!!!

Really wish they'd offer manual transmissions. I "almost considered" a Ram Diesel specifically for the manual trans. "almost".

On 5/21/2018 at 4:27 PM, Snoringbear said:

I’m a column shifter guy.  Agree about the extra space it provides.

btw, The GM twins have stayed with a key ignition system which I’m ok with.  Wondering why though when virtually every other vehicle has a keyless fob.  I know lots of marketing research goes into these sorts of decisions.  Just wondering if anyone has come across GM’s logic for staying with the key...

Keyless fob is coming to some trims of the 2019 1500.

Seems likely it will follow in the 2020HD's.

2019 1500 Order guide:

ATH    Keyless Open and Start

- standard on crew SLT and Denali 

(other trims and cabs are not listed in the guide at this time)

It was installed in revealed truck at the Detroit auto show (NAIAS) this year.

It's in the video that TFL did with GM engineering at the show. 

Same video they discussed why GM has no  plans to put a console shifter in the twins.