whining noise from my 4.3 liter sonoma (intermittent

new guy on the forum here, hi!

I'm having a weird problem with my 2003 sonoma. Every once in a while my truck will whines (see video). It used to make a higher pitch whine than that when it was cold outside, but the weird thing is that it rarely does it. And I think it may be related but the truck smells like burnt rubber sometime. Another thing that maybe related to that noise is that when I let off the gas at 100-110 km/h, my rpm drops suddently from 2100-2200 to 1400-1500, and I go from 100-110 km/h to 70-80 km/h in seconds. I've checked my front end and brakes, and the noise doesn't come from there. I was thinking maybe a vaccum leak somewhere, but I'm not to sure anymore since its smelling burnt rubber. Anyone wanna give their 2 cents?

thanks in advance

no I haven’t. I’ll take a look! but someone told me the burnt rubber smell (skunk kinda smell) is normally the catalylic converter. 

I dont think it’s related. usually that loud whine happens when I get back in town after I drove on the hwg for a while

yeah, I have checked all fluids including the oil in my rear diff. they are all top off and in good condition. The truck isn’t stock I think. I bought it 2 months ago, it has an aftermarket exhaust, and it has something on top of the engine that says msd with a little module, a spark plug on it with a wire (not sure what it is?). And yes it only does it when the truck is moving. You can take a look at the video I posted, this is after a 1h30 drive (backroad &

highway). You don’t hear it at all at high speed, but between 30km/h to 60km/h it whines really loudly if the truck has been driven at higher speed previously.

Edited by marcblouin

If you can, try getting it onto jack stands after driving and shut it off but put it in neutral and spin the wheels or have someone spin them and see if it makes noise. If it does then you can move around until you find where it’s coming from then investigate further in that area to pin point it.

It’s worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Could be your carrier bearing is worn out.  Can you move the center of the 2 piece driveshaft around inside the loop? The bearing is encased in a rubber mount and when they go,  they reek,  and make a ton of noise.  Worth a. Look. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, Possum1967 said:

Could be your carrier bearing is worn out.  Can you move the center of the 2 piece driveshaft around inside the loop? The bearing is encased in a rubber mount and when they go,  they reek,  and make a ton of noise.  Worth a. Look. 

Are you a wizard? My carrier bearing blew out exactly 2 weeks ago december the 5th

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Marcblouin? Is that what it was? I have a 2004 Sonoma that makes a load whining noise sometimes and goes away. Did fixing the carrier bearing get the noise to quit happening?

2 hours ago, GeorgeE said:

Marcblouin? Is that what it was? I have a 2004 Sonoma that makes a load whining noise sometimes and goes away. Did fixing the carrier bearing get the noise to quit happening?

Never replaced anything and some day the carrier bearing broke on the highway. So yes that was the noise I was hearing. It was a simple fix, really it isn’t expensive...much less than a trip on a towing.

26 minutes ago, marcblouin said:

Never replaced anything and some day the carrier bearing broke on the highway. So yes that was the noise I was hearing. It was a simple fix, really it isn’t expensive...much less than a trip on a towing.

Hope it's the issue. It's been driving me crazy. Thank you for the reply.