Interesting Coolant Filter Find

3 hours ago, Justin101714 said:

Weird, I’ve had these engine apart tons of times on too many vehicles to count and have never seen that before. I’d be curious to see what the inside of a new filter looks like. Possible paper coming apart in the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think thats why it isnt very critical to have one because to really even see it you have to trap it with a filter. And the filter looked fine a little orange from the dexcool but 100% intact for sure it didnt come apart until i ripped it open to see the inside which was showed it was sending clean filtered coolant back the reservoir.

Why try to fix what is not broken?  The older I get the more I come to realize that many of the things one does to "improve" upon what the manufacturer made can cause more harm than good or just do nothing and be a waste of money.  The coolant system works fine, their are a bunch of 14 and up models with well over 100k miles on them out there and there has not been any major ruckus over failing coolant systems.   

I change my coolant every two years. I have found since having experience with the old GM "Dex-cool" that antifreeze can get corrosive over time. One of my class 8's even rotted right through a steel coolant transfer pipe. If any of you had a Gen2 Vortec 350 then you know that coolant fitting on the intake that would rot in half from acidic coolant. Thanks for letting us know there is a filter, I will swap it out next service. 

13 hours ago, Justin101714 said:

Weird, I’ve had these engine apart tons of times on too many vehicles to count and have never seen that before. I’d be curious to see what the inside of a new filter looks like. Possible paper coming apart in the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could it be  from the heat ....if that's intended as a fuel filter ... it may not  like the heat of the coolant ...could it be paper  or glue particles..??

14 hours ago, Brianibew said:

I agree with Justin.  Looks like remnants of the paper filter media you installed.  That filter may be causing more harm than good.

just saw your avatar.. lol... more lemon pledge... lmao.. love that character.. funny dude 

When I started working for Pontiac in 1969 we put several sealer pellets (called 'um dog turds) in every new vehicle just to stop the occasional coolant weeping from some of the hose connections.   I don't know if they still do or not, but that looks like what it is.

3 hours ago, tnchevy said:

Why try to fix what is not broken?  The older I get the more I come to realize that many of the things one does to "improve" upon what the manufacturer made can cause more harm than good or just do nothing and be a waste of money.  The coolant system works fine, their are a bunch of 14 and up models with well over 100k miles on them out there and there has not been any major ruckus over failing coolant systems.   

I agree there's a few things that people do that can actually hurt the performance, I was just running a test to see if I would actually find anything and I did I'm just sharing my results I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here I promise haha. I have just noticed on many high mileage trucks the coolant gets dingy and dirty that's a fact, I was just trying to figure why since its a closed circuit. I'm not trying to create the frenzy on hey everyone go buy this filter your truck will run 10x better I just thought the amount of stuff I found was kinda crazy? Obviously these trucks run many miles with no issues that's why I said it isn't critical because these trucks don't run any kind of tight tolerance cooler that this gunk could really get stuck in.

I don't think this will adversely affect the cooling efficiency of the system over the lifetime but I do believe it could at least help, marginally maybe, but at least this stuff isn't running around in my system anymore?

With that being said I think its always a good thing to improve on any aspect of the vehicle I mean just think if back when the ls1 came out if no one tried to improve we wouldn't have the insane LSx and now LT markets

2 hours ago, Roadking01 said:

could it be  from the heat ....if that's intended as a fuel filter ... it may not  like the heat of the coolant ...could it be paper  or glue particles..??

I didn't think it was the filter at all, when I pulled it out it was 100% intact. I also think if it was filter particles they would be the same stained dex cool color and similar materials creating lumps of stuff the same color in the filter pleats and this stuff is a different consistency and color. While it is a "fuel" filter it still has the same basic construction/media as any other oil or coolant filter and I would say oil in most cases easily gets as hot as coolant and under much more pressure and they aren't coming apart? I truly believe it's just sands/dust/etc from manufacturing the filter has a rating of 20 microns so I'm sure plenty of microns get left in from the factory these trucks are mass produced I doubt they get detailed to the micron like a race engine.

Archived