Install Recommendations in Houston TX ADC Mobile Multi-Camera Interface for GMC Sierra

I recently purchased a Multi-Camera Interface for GMC Vehicles from ADC Mobile which includes a Front Camera, Side Cameras, and a 3rd Brake Light Camera and am not 100% convinced this is an install I would like to tackle on my own on a brand new truck...

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might be able to get this installed in the Houston Area? Or even better, someone who has installed one that would be willing to give me a hand installing it???

Thanks!

i bet some shop that sells and installs stereo equipment might.. or even check out like best buy.. or something like that. anywhere they do like stereo or equipment installs.. maybe even an offroad shop.

good luck on your search... post before and after pics!

It's not as difficult as you would think if you take your time. I was worried about doing this myself but ended up doing it and believe I did a much better job than any shop because I was extremely careful with the door panels and mirror removal. I also know that even my dealer has never did an installation of this unit because they had no idea what it was, so they'd also be reading the instructions word for word and charge you double the hours it actually took. If I remember correctly it took me under 4 hours with no help and the brake light camera took 45 minutes.

Intellihual has step by step video instructions for their kit and I'm sure the installation is almost the same. The hardest part for me was getting the mirror camera wire through the door boot but I used a zip tie and fished it through as the video mentioned to do. I did not run the front camera through the firewall boot. I was too afraid to cut it. I ran it through a hole on the driver's side door which you can see goes to the hood.

I honestly think if you can change an air filter and replace the battery then this is a project is a step above that worth tackling. It doesn't require any mechanical skills or special knowledge and has very clear instructions. You just have to go slow. Take your time, watch the videos, and don't be afraid.

I hadn't heard of a plug-and-play module like this, I am now very interested in something like this!  Are the side view cameras mountable on the standard non-towing mirrors?  Can you set it up to have multiple on one display?  Like rear with both sides going?

17 minutes ago, Dr Awesome said:

I hadn't heard of a plug-and-play module like this, I am now very interested in something like this!  Are the side view cameras mountable on the standard non-towing mirrors?  Can you set it up to have multiple on one display?  Like rear with both sides going?

Yes, Yes, and Yes to those questions at least with the Intellihaul kit https://echomaster.com/intellihaul/

It replaces the mirror housing so it looks like it came from factory. 

Please let us know how you like the system when you get it installed.  I've been considering the Intellihaul for a while but it looks like this has some advantages (besides cost):

Speed triggered front camera would be extremely handy when parking/maneuvering, and the Intellihaul makes you choose between the aftermarket and factory camera when backing up with a dipswitch when you install it.  Having that selectable from the screen seems like a much better idea.

38 minutes ago, Jon A said:

Please let us know how you like the system when you get it installed.  I've been considering the Intellihaul for a while but it looks like this has some advantages (besides cost):

Speed triggered front camera would be extremely handy when parking/maneuvering, and the Intellihaul makes you choose between the aftermarket and factory camera when backing up with a dipswitch when you install it.  Having that selectable from the screen seems like a much better idea.

Looking at the front camera when driving even at low speeds gets me dizzy.  The automatic switching to front camera would drive me crazy. I always back into a spot so my front camera is rarely used. The Itellihaul is a pain to switch cameras when reversing. You have to wait 7 seconds after you put it in reverse before you can hold down the back button for 3 seconds to change the camera when in reverse. This means you have to sit there for at least 10 seconds before you can change angles. That is what I hate most about the Intellihaul.

The Intellihaul does have a significantly better angle for the mirrors because the cameras are placed on the far outside of the mirror (for the standard mirror) and not under the mirror like the ADC. Take a look at the videos on YouTube to compare the different angles and you'll understand. If you're towing then I would only consider the Intellihaul. Intellihual also replaces the top of the mirror housing so it looks OEM and requires no drilling.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:21 PM, ChristopherDB said:

Looking at the front camera when driving even at low speeds gets me dizzy.  The automatic switching to front camera would drive me crazy. I always back into a spot so my front camera is rarely used. The Itellihaul is a pain to switch cameras when reversing. You have to wait 7 seconds after you put it in reverse before you can hold down the back button for 3 seconds to change the camera when in reverse. This means you have to sit there for at least 10 seconds before you can change angles. That is what I hate most about the Intellihaul.

The Intellihaul does have a significantly better angle for the mirrors because the cameras are placed on the far outside of the mirror (for the standard mirror) and not under the mirror like the ADC. Take a look at the videos on YouTube to compare the different angles and you'll understand. If you're towing then I would only consider the Intellihaul. Intellihual also replaces the top of the mirror housing so it looks OEM and requires no drilling.

From what I understand you can adjust these variables to minimize how frequently it would cycle to a given camera based on your driving habits, I hope that is the case.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:26 PM, Jon A said:

I certainly will! Between work and getting married later this summer I haven't had too much free time to do this, which was another reason I was looking for some assistance in getting it installed. I'm hoping to get it handled within the next month or so.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jchoi said:

Wow...the idea of having a front camera is appealing to me.

Yeah, me too.  Not just for maneuvering in tight spots, but for driving offroad.  Especially when cresting a hill, rise or hump, you really can't see the trail worth a damn in these trucks.  The front camera would be a tremendous help.

5 hours ago, Jchoi said:

Wow...the idea of having a front camera is appealing to me. I see it states $499 on the website, but does anyone know what the installed price is? 

The front camera was the easiest of all the cameras to install. I believe it was about 30-45 minutes to do. I ran the wires through the driver side door through the fender instead of cutting the firewall grommet. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherDB said:

The front camera was the easiest of all the cameras to install. I believe it was about 30-45 minutes to do. I ran the wires through the driver side door through the fender instead of cutting the firewall grommet. 

That’s great to hear. I’m definitely interested. You wouldn’t happen to have any pics? How does the front camera mount? 

1 hour ago, Jchoi said:

That’s great to hear. I’m definitely interested. You wouldn’t happen to have any pics? How does the front camera mount? 

The front mounts with 3M VHB adhesive which isn't going anywhere. Clean the surface with alcohol and heat up the double sided tape with a blow dryer and stick it on. Route the cable directly upwards and you don't have to worry about the flappers that open and close. Run the cable to the driver side inside the fender and through a small round rubber grommet in the door by cutting a small hole in it (circled in red on the picture below). Them simply run the cable under the dash to the head unit and zip tie the cable to whatever you can above the foot well to keep it in place.

IMG_20180706_223325.thumb.jpg.cc7e6e7af2c3e36f807e7d35461a3115.jpg

1793465914.thumb.png.a68c0f160083ee85f295f768d7651558.png

Edited by ChristopherDB
  • Thanks 1