Why did this GMC 2500 catch fire?

2 minutes ago, Waaazooo said:

Looks to me smacking the window caused the flux capacitor to ignite some radon gas leaking from the boot in the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. But they haven't reached 88MPH, how could it be!?

• Like 1

Saw this on video on YouTube of a GMC catching fire. Apparently they are locked out and trying to break in. Sounds like the accelerator was stuck. What the heck happened?

What do you expect after doing mods? Ford was so notorious for catching on fire that they were left parked out on the street instead of the garage in fear of burning down your house or the garage. Dodge was probably worst!

Appears to have run away. Basically the oil seals in the turbo fail and it burns the engine oil to stay running, you either have to stop air going in or it runs like this until it self destructs, or the turbo bursts into flames.

Also what do mods have to do with it?

• Like 1

If the motor blows up, and you put the fire out - you have to pay for all the repairs. 

If the motor blows up and it burns to the ground - the insurance company pays for the truck. 

There is no law that says you have to risk your own safety attempting to extinguish a car fire. Once the engine shut down, I would stand back and wait to see what happens. Maybe call the fire department. 

• Like 3

Manufacturer issues LOL.  More like modded and the engine ran away.  Giant plume of black smoke and the sounds of deletes give the modding away. 

Note that its a regular cab with a Denali front swap, and no driver's door handle. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

It’s not unusual for turbo seals go bad on a stock engine. Not that unusual, especially if you pull a load or don’t change your air filter and oil regularly. Or just have high mileage.

Not a run away. A friend of mine was the one recording this she says when he shut the door while it was running that the floormat moved and got caught over the accelerator.  This has happened to me before when putting my weathertechs in.  NOT a runaway NOT over modded. This is actually a very well taken care of truck as I personally know the ones involved.

• Like 2

Manufacturer issues LOL.  More like modded and the engine ran away.  Giant plume of black smoke and the sounds of deletes give the modding away. 

Note that its a regular cab with a Denali front swap, and no driver's door handle. 

That was the first thing I noticed. I wonder if insurance will deny coverage because of the mods

5 hours ago, SarahsGMC said:

Not a run away. A friend of mine was the one recording this she says when he shut the door while it was running that the floormat moved and got caught over the accelerator.  This has happened to me before when putting my weathertechs in.  NOT a runaway NOT over modded. This is actually a very well taken care of truck as I personally know the ones involved.

A floor mat on the gas peddle? Bummer. I'm surprised it would blow up that quickly. You would think it would just sit there on the rev limiter, and maybe over heat after a bit. Was the RPM limiter modified or eliminated? As for shutting the engine down, I would have yelled at someone to plug the exhaust pipe. While they were working on that, I would have pulled out my .45 and shot the drivers side window out. Obviously you would have to be very careful of the backstop, as there were people walking around. 

Edited by starman8tdc

well not all people just happen to have a loaded 45 on them lol but yea she has been contacted by a company already to be paid for the video that's how big it got... crazy a floormat caused all of this.

Modded truck with rev limiter removed, a stock truck would have  just bounced on the rev limit and did nothing.  Find it hard to believe a floor mat would be able to hold the pedal down to over rev like that and say it did the person didn't notice the truck revving up before closing and locking the door. Have fun trying to submit and claim on that. I think the rev limit is around 1500 rpm while in park or neutral

Edited by Silverado4x4