AFM Disable Damage

3 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

THIS.  The 5.3L in our '09 Silverado sounds like the first 45 seconds of Van Halen's Hot for Teacher song on every cold startup and even some warm startups.  

So.......did you fix it or just CRANK IT UP!!!!

:crackup:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I'm new to this form but I really need some advice about where to go from here. I have a 09 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L. 6 months ago my lifters collapsed, sent my truck to a mechanic and let's just say it was a nightmare. The initial repair was done in 3 weeks I pick the truck up and pulled off the lot and it was still doing the same thing just not as bad. So I take it back and he agrees to fix it and 5 months later and a lot of arguing and things in between I get it back.(let's just say I will be taking actions on this whole situation) but... It seems to be fine now but I need to know where to go from here. The cylinder head gaskets were replaced, DOD lifters replaced, oil and filters and I think that's it. I was told the cam wasn't damaged but I really don't believe anything this guy says after everything that happened. I've read a lot about AFM disablers and they seem to be the way to go but I've also read that is not for high-mileage trucks. Do any of you guys have any knowledge or experience firsthand with having an AFM disabler or what to do or not to do from here. THANKS

On 12/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, WallaceR said:

Hey guys I'm new to this form but I really need some advice about where to go from here. I have a 09 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L. 6 months ago my lifters collapsed, sent my truck to a mechanic and let's just say it was a nightmare. The initial repair was done in 3 weeks I pick the truck up and pulled off the lot and it was still doing the same thing just not as bad. So I take it back and he agrees to fix it and 5 months later and a lot of arguing and things in between I get it back.(let's just say I will be taking actions on this whole situation) but... It seems to be fine now but I need to know where to go from here. The cylinder head gaskets were replaced, DOD lifters replaced, oil and filters and I think that's it. I was told the cam wasn't damaged but I really don't believe anything this guy says after everything that happened. I've read a lot about AFM disablers and they seem to be the way to go but I've also read that is not for high-mileage trucks. Do any of you guys have any knowledge or experience firsthand with having an AFM disabler or what to do or not to do from here. THANKS

Sounds like you had it rebuilt to stock specs.  You'd have been $ ahead in the long run to have them install a AFM delete kit such as the one from Texas Speed while they were in there--your AFM problems would be over and you'd have a new cam to boot.  The main idea with AFM problems is to turn off AFM as soon as possible.  A GM dealer will not do that for you.  A Range V8 module is the cheapest, easiest way to do so; it plugs into your OBDII port and can be plugged in or removed any time the ignition switch is off.  You can also get a Blackbear tune or use a Diablo or Hypertech tuner or such to turn off the AFM function.  And be sure to use Dexos-rated full-synthetic motor oil and change at OLM-indicated intervals or sooner.  Be aware that you can still have an AFM-related parts failure, but with the AFM function turned off,  the odds of it are less, because the lifters are locked in the extended position and your engine is running in V8 mode all of the time.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

• 1 year later...

I HAVE THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING AN AF RANGE DISABLER ON MY 2018 SILVERADO WITH 5.3 V8. PARTICULARLY THE DEVICE FROM RANGE TECHNOLOGIES. HAS THERE BEEN ANY ISSUES WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, TRANSMISSION MODULE ISSUES WHEN USING THE DEVICE.  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

• 8 months later...

I bought a 2019 lifted suburban 5.3 how can I disable the AFM it seems to run more in v4 than v8 I honestly hate it I have heard of range AFM/disabler is this a safe solution i can run with and do i just buy it and plug it in do i need to do anything before install if so or does anyone suggest something else? Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, 12dyllon said:

I bought a 2019 lifted suburban 5.3 how can I disable the AFM it seems to run more in v4 than v8 I honestly hate it I have heard of range AFM/disabler is this a safe solution i can run with and do i just buy it and plug it in do i need to do anything before install if so or does anyone suggest something else? Thank you! 

Range AFM disabler is plug and play...plug it in and go.  They are safe; won't damage anything.  Other than than, my suggestion would be to not buy a vehicle with AFM (don't know if GM even offers anything with a gas pusher without AFM now or not).