Just Bought a New Truck

Hi Everyone

Just bought  new truck (I can't believe it!).  I take delivery tonight.  2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71.  Black.  I've been reading and doing some research on a few things.  Decided I'd join here and post them for a one stop shop for advice and opinions from the experts!  My appreciation in advance for any and all information.  

Most importantly.....I immediately noticed the "fishbite / chuggle" in the first truck I drove which was a work truck model.  There's alot out there on this, but was wondering what you guys do about it.  I know some people won't mind it, but Im the type that notices these things and it will drive me nuts.  There's info on different tuners, etc out there.....hoping to get some feedback from you guys on best way to remedy this, and IF I should rememdy it.

OK, no I only really need to do a few things to get this where I want it.  I need a brake controller, spray in liner, and a decent tonneau cover.  Seems like theere is a plethora of vinyl tri-fold covers out there for 200 - 300 and alot of good reviews.  One of these seems like it would do the trick.  

Spray in liner?  LineX, Rhino, something else?

Brake controller.  Should I go with the facotry kit?  I have a Prodigy from my old truck that works great, but the factory sure looks nice.  Does it work as good ast the prodigy?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Congrats on the new rig!!

I'm not even sure what the 'fishbite/chuggle' is? The only fishbite I'm familiar with is a nice Tuna on my line!  LOL!

Others can comment on that.

I had a Rhino liner years a go and it held up well for the 8 years I owned the truck. The finish was just tacky enough to prevent stuff from sliding around and it stayed that way for the entire time I had it..  I don't think you can go wrong with Rhino or LineX

If the factory BC kit fits in the dash like  the OEM, I'd look into that one.

Don't forget a nice set of Husky xact floor liners! 

57 minutes ago, braaap74 said:

Hi Everyone

Just bought  new truck (I can't believe it!).  I take delivery tonight.  2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71.  Black.  I've been reading and doing some research on a few things.  Decided I'd join here and post them for a one stop shop for advice and opinions from the experts!  My appreciation in advance for any and all information.  

Most importantly.....I immediately noticed the "fishbite / chuggle" in the first truck I drove which was a work truck model.  There's alot out there on this, but was wondering what you guys do about it.  I know some people won't mind it, but Im the type that notices these things and it will drive me nuts.  There's info on different tuners, etc out there.....hoping to get some feedback from you guys on best way to remedy this, and IF I should rememdy it.

Give it a bit on this (drive it, put some miles on it).  There is a triple flush procedure now for the 6 speeds 2016-2018 model year that may resolve the issue.  #PIP5504A: Diagnosing Fishbite Chuggle Misfire Feeling Or Shudder Vibration, With A Light Tip In 

OK, no I only really need to do a few things to get this where I want it.  I need a brake controller, spray in liner, and a decent tonneau cover.  Seems like theere is a plethora of vinyl tri-fold covers out there for 200 - 300 and alot of good reviews.  One of these seems like it would do the trick.  

Line-x or Bullet liner.

Brake controller.  Should I go with the facotry kit?  I have a Prodigy from my old truck that works great, but the factory sure looks nice.  Does it work as good ast the prodigy?

Factory can't be added.  You'd have to go aftermarket. 

Thanks!!

Welcome!

1st tip: Don't read all the complaints on this forum and assume your truck has the same issue. 99% percent of these trucks are trouble free. Only the people with problems joins this site to make noise.

My truck didn't come with the integrated brake controller. I don't tow anything heavy enough. But if I knew I wanted it, I would have gotten that one. Now you will need to mount one on the lower dash or something. Pick whatever brand you like.

Spray in liners are nearly all the same. I have Bullet and am happy with it. My dealership partners with a vendor for them so I went with it. Prices are very close for the different bands as well. Just find a vendor that's close to you. Ask them how they prep the bed. Proper surface prep is more important that the brand name.

Edited by aseibel

1 hour ago, braaap74 said:

What is your use for the bed?  Although my High Country came with a factory spray in liner, I still installed a bed rug brand bed liner. Actually, this time I just went with the mat and tailgate option but my last truck and the full liner. For my use, I prefer this type over spray-in types.

Hey guys thanks for all the responses!

I'll look into those floor mats for sure!  That's on the list of things to get

My bed will be used for everything.  Like most trucks, most of the time it will just be empty with some stuff in there under the cover.  I ride motocross so there will be a muddy dirtbike int there once a week.  Will be used for firewood and trips to the Depot, and other normal homeowner stuff.

As for the "fishbite" thing, this was something that I felt, and then therefore Googled, and found out that it's a thing.  From what I've read, this seems to be common among all these trucks.  Encourging to know that not everybody experiences it

awesome, that's good to know too!  Appreciate the responses everybody!  excited to get my truck!  Thought I was going to by pre-owned but it's hard not to go new with these discounts

Tonneau Covers

I don’t have one on my 1500 but have a roll up Truxedo on my 3/4 ton been on there for years truck lives outside 95% of the time still looks/preforms good. If I ever decide to get one for the 1500 If will be another Truxedo or a Access low pro roll up. IMO tri folds aren’t nearly as handy when trying to haul something in the bed (like bikes).  Another thing to look at is some covers cover all or part of the hand grabs if your going to use the bumper steps. And some cover depending on how they mount will leak or not seal as well with a bed liner.

Google search for bed liners

https://www.google.com/search?ei=C2JfW8KlMKLt_QbiwLaQCw&q=2015+silverado+spray+in+bedliner+gm-trucks.com&oq=2015+silverado+spray+in+bedliner+gm-trucks.com&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...46724.48051..49009...0.0...604.1457.2-2j0j1j1......0....1.........0i71j33i160.f1lAB_2qQ1Q

you’ll come to find on this site that the search feature sux IMO...

I went with LineX with the UV protection on the 1500 will be 3 years in October. Still looks new does IMO require minimal maintenance ( I power wash it at least once a month, strap heavy stuff down so it don’t slide, and don’t throw heavy sh!t in the bed. I did LineX because around here you can’t drive 60 miles and not run into a dealer. Nationwide warranty in case you move and need a repair/respray. Like posted above they are all pretty much the same. LineX is a little slick but nothing like the old plastic liners. LineX will spray the bed plugs or take them out per your request. I  had them take out the corner plugs and put in the Dee Zee tie downs. (handy for hauling bikes) https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-bed-tie-downs/. If you have them sprayed you can cut them out later if needed. NOT ALL DEALERS/INSTALLERS are the same when it comes to these liners so make sure the guy doing it is doing it right. There’s a LineX less than 10 miles from my house and I drove 40+ miles to another same price better install.

brake controller 

Mine has the integrated but here’s a thread that shows some non traditional options. My 3/4 ton is above the gas pedal (like the last umteen trucks I’ave owned) and I never realized that spot sux till I bought the my 1500. I like the dash spot 100 times better but I’m left handed and I use the manual feature some with my car hauler. Since yours doesn’t come with the integrated make sure you get the factory pig tail (should be somewhere in the truck glove box, center console, ect.) no need to pay for something later you should have already got. If you like your old one use it can always upgrade later if need be.

There’s probably a hundred threads on here about the shifting of the trannys/fish bite/ect. You can go read about every other kind of vehicle from most manufacturers and people will comment on how 90% of these new trannys shift. IMO it is what it is all in the name of fuel economy and meeting the governments unrealistic expectations... you forgot to mention if yours is a 6 or a 8 speed but either way you’ll find plenty of threads here about both along with AFM (active fuel management), tire size upgrades, CAIs, exhausts, and lift/levels. The thing to remember is some dealers seem to look the other way and/or don’t care when it comes to modifications and warranty work while others will blame everything on anything to not have to warranty something. Also anytime you “reprogram” the ECM and/or tranny on these trucks it will show up if the stealership goes looking for it (trucks have flash counters) so putting the “stock” tune back in before hauling in ain’t going to necessarily save you. With that said I hated hated hated how my 15 (5.3L 6 speed) shifted so I left it stock for 3,000 miles then said F it and had a Blackbear tune done, AFM delete, Air-raid tube, exhaust, leveled with ProComp struts, wheels, real AT tires, ect. with the understanding that I’ll probably never get a warranty claim paid but at least I can enjoy my truck. 33,XXX problem free miles later I’m glad I did...

Thanks for the replies guys!  Appreciate all the info and the fact that there were no snarky "Do a search......"      type of remarks (everybody does searches!)

Wforrest,

Lots of good information there, thanks!  I have the 6 Speed Transmission.  Yeah, mine "shutters", I drove 4 chevy's and 1 GMC and they all did.    Pretty sure they ALL do this.  Anybody saying that theirs does not, probably just doesn't notice or care.  I could probably get used to it I guess.  How much does it cost for a Black Bear Tune, and does this completely solve the issue?

I have an appointment next Monday to get LineX done.  I felt very confident when speaking to the local guy.  Great reviews and he knew what he was talking about.  Great tip on the DEEZEE hooks, i'm going to look into doing that!

Leveling out the front was something else that I might eventually do.  I see these $50 kits that do it, but you went with struts.  CAn you please explain why you went that route?  I've never bought a Brand New truck, anything I do to it, I want to do right.  Also, I tow a 7000 lb. Travel Trailer 2 or 3 times a year, so I'm hesitant to level the front as the truck might sag.  With that said, I probably tow that thing about 500 miles per year max, so probably not enough to really worry. 

Would love some more feedback / thoughts on leveling and how this might affect warranty.  Speaking of Warranty, would love some thoughts on that too.  Is an extended warranty worth it?  I NEVER opt for extended warranties on anything.  Where this truck has so much electronics in it, was thinking it might not be a bad idea.

Thanks Again Guys

Edited by braaap74

On 8/1/2018 at 9:25 AM, braaap74 said:

How much does it cost for a Black Bear Tune, and does this completely solve the issue?

Leveling out the front was something else that I might eventually do.  I see these $50 kits that do it, but you went with struts.  CAn you please explain why you went that route?

Also, I tow a 7000 lb. Travel Trailer 2 or 3 times a year, so I'm hesitant to level the front as the truck might sag. 

Would love some more feedback / thoughts on leveling and how this might affect warranty.  Speaking of Warranty, would love some thoughts on that too.  Is an extended warranty worth it?  I NEVER opt for extended warranties on anything.  Where this truck has so much electronics in it, was thinking it might not be a bad idea.

Blackbear was on sale (Christmas time) think all in I was around 550. Not sure on the fish bite thing? I’m one of the didn’t notice guys. I literally just couldn’t stand the way the engine and transmission worked together between the AFM and trannys couldn’t ever make up it’s mind on what gear it wanted to be in. The tune made this 90% better not perfect but better IMO.

You can read till your blue in the face about the pros/cons of every kind of level/lift. I wanted to do Blisteins all around on mine so the struts would have been a one part fixes all working within the confines of the pros/cons. Unfortunately the Blisteins were on national back order and after the truck sat at the shop for a week I decided to go with the Pro Comps to get it done. If I was to do it all over I’d just spend the cash and go with Kings and upper control arms but that’s a couple grand not a couple hundred... You can always lower the rear instead of lifting the front if your going to run close to stock size tires. There’s a couple threads on here.

I’ve pulled close to 10k with mine. After I did I bought a set of Timbren SES “springs” for the rear. Would love to have done air bags just can’t justify the cost for the little amount of towing I do with the 1/2 ton. IMO the Timbrens are a nice compromise. Sumosprings is another brand of these I use them on the front of my plow truck.

As far as factory warranty it really seams to be a dealer by dealer case by case thing. Aftermarket/extended warranties seem to be all about reading the extremely fine print and what they actually cover and don’t cover. I’ve put the money I would have paid for one in the savings account if I use it I use it if not I’m money ahead. As far as “mods” might be worth having a authorized shop install whatever you want to do and rely on the warranty from the parts manufacturer rather than plan on relying on the factory. This is what your doing if you buy a SCA, Hennessy, Callaway, ect truck anyway.

Congrats on the new truck!!

My '18 just turned 1000 miles.  Don't panic, but the truck won't feel right for the first 500 miles.  It will feel sluggish (may even "chuggle")  and will not shift smoothly.  I don't know if the 500 mile break in period is programmed into the truck or not... but I swear at 501 miles the truck changed dramatically... that is, it felt normal (like my 2015 ).  I follow the break-in procedure described in the owner's manual to the letter.   Now, at 1000 miles, it runs really good, better than my '15.  And the transmission seems to be a much faster learner.  It  took several thousand miles to settle down on my last truck.