not sure which tire...need advice

Junyah

Looking to "beef" up my 2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ with more aggressive tires and a leveling kit. I met with my tire guy the other day and we looked at the BF Goodrich AT KO's, 275/60/20 with a 2.5" leveling kit (back 1"). So first things first, I'm not a gear head, that's why I'm here. Not a complete moron, and know enough to be dangerous, but I need advice.

I've read threads on here about different size tires, stock rims vs not stock, spacers, tying back anything that rubs with zip ties....at this point I'm not sure what to do. 

So that said, as I mentioned above, my truck is a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4x4. I plan on keeping the stock 20" alloys that came on it and prefer not to lift it, or add wheel spacers etc if necessary. Full disclosure, I have seen some pics with guys running the BF Goodrich AT KO's in 285/65/20 and their trucks look pretty sweet and they claim to only have added a leveling kit.

The issue that concerns me is when they talk about slight or minimal rubbing at full lock and some have even used tie wraps to tie back the fender liner to prevent this. I'm not sure how I feel about cutting a slit and tie wrapping anything on my truck to make it work...makes me uneasy. 

If I had my choice, and could be assured I wouldn't have rubbing issues, I would def go with the 285 look over the 275's but won't lie it's a concern.

I've been looking at the BF's obviously, but have also looked at Toyo's and Nitto's...thought about Mickey's but not sure about the $ tag.

Tire wear is a concern too, but I also understand an A/T is well, an A/T tire. Still would like to have good wear though if possible.

In a nutshell....I def want to level my truck, but my ultimate goal is simply to put a set of tires on my truck that make it look beefier and meaner without having to put a 6" or 8" lift on it etc...

Edited by Junyah

For level lift and 100% no rubbing at full lock...........

Go with a wheel that is 0 to -12 offset ( Factory OEM"s are +27 offset FYI )

Anything taller that a 33" tire and 12" wide WILL RUB!

Ran 275 / 60 / 20's on factory wheels on my 2016 GMC with a 3 1/2" Level LIft. They rubbed the tie rod at full lock for a couple weeks when I bought truck new. Had them put on some AT's as part of the sale. Drove 30K miles and them then put on some 20 X10 -25 offset wheels running a 33/ 12.5 /20. YUP, they rub lock to lock. Just so big you can go with this style body on Chevy/ GMC truck.

Customs Offsets / google it and get schooled what wheel/tire you can run. They are a ton of help!

• Like 1

Thanks TexasHeat for the response and advice.

After continued and considerable thought; I believe I'm going to stick with the factory 20 x 9 wheels and just do the logical thing and purchase a size tire that's bigger, but ultimately fits well and correctly.

I understand from reading different forums and articles there are ways around this challenge if you want a larger than recommend tire as mentioned earlier i.e., tie wrap, shaving and cutting fender wells.

But this is a daily, daily truck for me and plus...I didn't pay this kind of money for a truck to start cutting and tie wrapping fender wells...even if they are just a cloth like material haha.

Likewise, you are correct in your wheel/offset assessment, but I was just looking for tires first...call me crazy, but I kind of like my factory wheels. 

So anyways, yea I'm just going to find a good 'beefier' A/T tire that is bigger, meaner looking but that I know will fit according to specs and not worry about cramming an over-sized tire into my wheel wells.

275/60/20 or 285/55/20 would probably fit without any kind of lift/level kit (on stock wheels), but would also look good with a small lift/level. A 295/55/20 would easily fit with a level and stock wheels. The 275/65/20 and 295/60/20 are the ones that some people claim to run without any problems, while others have to trim/zip tie to make them clear. The first two sizes I mentioned would be safe & easy. If you're not willing to trim anything, then you should probably stay away from the last two. 

Big Whiskey, thanks for the response; that's a good looking rig, like the step bars too!

Curious...what are your thoughts on BFG 285/65/20's on stock 20 x 9 wheels with a RC lift, 2.5" front and 1" in rear?

Some say they'll fit, some say they'll rub, then some once again recommend tie wrapping or fender well shaving.

I really like "the look" of that tire size the best of any setup I've seen. I saw it in person on a GMC Sierra but didn't get a chance to meet the owner to ask about a lift kit, or if it rubbed at full lock etc.

Just can't seem to find anyone who can confirm, 'yes, I put them on my truck had no rubbing and this is how I did it"...without tie wrapping or fender shaving.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:13 PM, Junyah said:

Big Whiskey, thanks for the response; that's a good looking rig, like the step bars too!

Curious...what are your thoughts on BFG 285/65/20's on stock 20 x 9 wheels with a RC lift, 2.5" front and 1" in rear?

Some say they'll fit, some say they'll rub, then some once again recommend tie wrapping or fender well shaving.

I really like "the look" of that tire size the best of any setup I've seen. I saw it in person on a GMC Sierra but didn't get a chance to meet the owner to ask about a lift kit, or if it rubbed at full lock etc.

Just can't seem to find anyone who can confirm, 'yes, I put them on my truck had no rubbing and this is how I did it"...without tie wrapping or fender shaving.

Thanks for the compliment! That 285/65/20 is an awesome looking setup, but it's a massive tire. That comes out to like a 35x11.50. It'll look great, but there's definitely a chance that it'll rub. That being said, there's a few guys running them on here with a 2.5" level. If you really like (and want) that look, then go for it.....and do what's necessary to make them clear. I went somewhat conservative on my tire size, because I didn't want any rubbing....but now I wish I would have went bigger and made a couple adjustments to clear them if needed.