Zane

One Month After Being Produced Our 2019 Silverado Is Still In Fort Wayne

medium.2019_Chevy_Silverado_First_Drive_57.jpg.c4f81d0bc3b22d7e113a12fab3248ae9[1].jpg

A 2019 Trail Boss From The Media First Drive In Wyoming

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

9/4/2018

It hasn't moved one inch. Our 2019 Silverado has sat outside the Fort Wayne Production Factory for a few days shy of one month after being built. Why? We're still not sure. Also, according to Chevy.com's Chat, our order doesn't have an event code. Without an event code we're not sure where our Silverado is in the system or what its status is. 

As we said early last week, the reasons for our truck still being at the factory a month after completion range from quality defect to shipping issues. No matter the reason, this is starting to all look pretty silly. In reality, ordering a truck may have been the wrong move. Buying the first random truck to hit our dealer's lot may have been the better move. 

The 2019 Silverado and Sierra launch is arguably one of the most important the company has ever worked on. Are they moving slow and making sure things don't go wrong? Or is GM secretly having issues producing and moving the all new platform? We're not sure. We want to say the former, but the longer our truck sits in Indiana, we're inclined to believe the later. 

• Like 1

Man that's strange there is no order event code.  Even if they get bayed or QC there's usually something.  No stop sale/delivery on the retail front so GM hasn't stopped anyone from selling these trucks yet. 

Edited by newdude

"LOT ROT!!" lol :D

seriously though, hopefully it will come soon.  Could you back out of the order and opt for something on the lot instead? I assume you'd lose some cash doing so.

Not good or happy news for sure. So it was advertised at event code 4000 ready to ship at one point?

If they are secretly having issues, those issues are probably spreading to the thousands of trucks on the lots now also.

I know one member here with a 2019 Silverado had a hood paint defect that resulted in the entire hood having to be painted over.

Maybe it is related to that and has to be repainted.

There are many North Sky Blue trucks on lots already that I have seen. Even a few Trail Bosses.

I feel your pain. Something similar happened to me when I ordered a Tahoe 20 years ago. It sat in a transit yard for weeks and no one could tell me why or when it would arrive. Even the owner of the dealership couldn't get an answer. One day the truck just showed up.

I suspect that if there is no event code then the truck is just waiting for someone to load it up and ship it. GM relies on third parties for shipping logistics. The shipper will get to it when they get to it. Not a satisfying answer, but probably the real reason.

I looked at dealerships around my neck of the woods this weekend.  Quite a few of the 19's are starting to show up.  Too bad this one seems to be down the list some.  Most of the GMC are the Denali, while Chevy seems very "LT" only, with a few LTZ and one High Country that I found.

Something else I noticed.  The tires are bigger in '19 than before.  The previous 20" were 265 55R20 where the '19 20" tires are 265 60R20.  Just a tad higher sidewall.  I guess GM finally realized the 20" tires are just too rough on most of the roads these are driven on.  Still not as good as 18", but any improvement is nice.

When I ordered my 2014 they lost track of it for several weeks during shipping.  The computer showed it was in Tacoma, WA waiting for shipment to Alaska, but they couldn't find it on the lot.  After about 2 1/2 weeks they were about to write it off as "lost in shipment" when it was discovered sitting on their lot in Aberdeen, WA.  No one was able to explain how it got there or how it had been checked in at Tacoma.  It took about another week for them to get it on a truck for the 80 mile trip to Tacoma so it could finally get on the ship to Alaska.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowGoAK said:

When I ordered my 2014 they lost track of it for several weeks during shipping.  The computer showed it was in Tacoma, WA waiting for shipment to Alaska, but they couldn't find it on the lot.  After about 2 1/2 weeks they were about to write it off as "lost in shipment" when it was discovered sitting on their lot in Aberdeen, WA.  No one was able to explain how it got there or how it had been checked in at Tacoma.  It took about another week for them to get it on a truck for the 80 mile trip to Tacoma so it could finally get on the ship to Alaska.

Oh how I love the 21st Century - not only can automakers not build a reliable vehicle anymore, but they can't even SHIP the ones they've sold! :rollin:

What a friggin world we live in ... :sick:

13 hours ago, Wild Willie 221 said:

Have you asked the dealer what is going on?

Yes, last week they saw the same thing. The truck was at the factory still. They could see it staged at code 4B00, which could mean a few different things. 

On 9/4/2018 at 3:44 PM, Materialman said:

These trucks are not at dealers. What’s the hold up? 

There are many 2019s onlots here in the KC area.

I'm in Michigan.  My local dealer has a dozen + trucks.  LT, RST, Trail Boss, and High Country.  I really like the black RST and the red Trail Boss they have.

Hope your truck shows up soon!

RST and LTZ look great in person.

Trail Boss looks best in Red.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jesse829
      Is there a way to tell if a 2015 Silverado LTZ came with factory HID bulbs? I got a used LTZ that has factory projector headlights but the bulbs in it when I got it were halogen. I’m trying to put LED’s or HID’s in and want to do it as easily and cheaply as possible.
    • By Zane

The Merva Brothers
      Founders, GM-Trucks.com
      February 27th, 2019

When you take delivery of a brand new 2019 Silverado, you'll be faced with a few choices beyond which trim level or options you want. You'll also be asked which accessories you want to be installed on your truck before it rolls off the sales floor. Most GM accessories can even be factored into the sale price and financed. So, we're setting off to try out some of these certified accessories that are available for the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. Our goal is to let you know if they are worth the cash or if you should take a pass. 

We've always loved the look of a blacked out bowtie and the idea of one that lights up seemed too cool to pass up. So we headed to our local dealership and ordered the 2019+ Illuminated & Blacked out front bowtie. Here's how it went and what we think. 

What is it?
      Chevrolet Illuminated Grille Bowtie Emblem in Black
      Part Number: 84069488
      MSRP: $275.00
      Manufacturer Website: https://accessories.chevrolet.com/

Main Features
      Doesn't effect your factory warranty Direct replacement for the standard gold bowtie Same quality as original parts Wiring harness is plug & play and matches factory wiring  

Here's the bowtie and grille as it came from the factory. 

Installation
      The first step to install the illuminated bowtie (or the non-illuminated black bowtie) is to remove the front grille. The grille on our LTZ was easy to take once we understood how it was fastened to the body. The entire process runs around 30 mintues  We'll be covering how to remove the grille on the 2019 Silverado in detail soon. 

A plastic trim removal set makes this process much easier. 

After a little bit of pulling and careful prying, the entire front grille section comes off. Note the grille can be removed without having to take off any body panels or reach under the vehicle. This is a huge improvement over past Silverado generations, which required more disassembly to access the grille mounting hardware. 

The grille is a solid unit. Switching it out with another trim level's grille would be easy at this stage. This is also a good time to clean up the grille. 

To remove the factory bowtie, release four tab clips on the backside of the grille. One is inside of the support post where you will also run the bowtie's wiring harness. 

We popped out the bowtie and cleaned behind it before installing the new one. It was filthy underneath!  

The included wiring harness plugs into the driver's side headlight harness. It then snakes through the radiator opening and clips to the bumper. We found it easier to run the wire through the grille and connect it to bowtie, THEN snap the bowtie to the grille afterwards. Attempting to plug the harness into the bowtie after it is mounted on the grille turns out to be extremely difficult. 

We tested the bowtie to make sure it lit up properly before we attached the grille back onto the truck. 

Our Impressions
      Installation of the illuminated bowtie turned out to be pretty easy provided we used the right tools. Our plastic trim kit was invaluable during the process, allowing us to pry and remove pieces without scratching them. The kit also didn't come with instructions, so make sure to ask your dealer for a set of them when you buy it. They can print it out for you. 

The quality of the bowtie is on par with other factory parts and matches accordingly. The wiring harness looks similar to those already running under the hood giving the final fit a factory feel. 

So while the look and feel of the product is excellent the actual performance of the illuminated bowtie left us wanting more. We expected an illumination effect with a similar brightness to our DRL lighting. Instead, the bowtie glows a dull white at light. During the day or bright sunlight the illumination effect disappears completely. We do appreciate that the color temperature of the bowtie matches the headlights and DRLs. 

The MSRP of $275 is steep for the eventual lackluster performance. Excellent build quality, plug and play performance, a factory look, and no warranty interference offset the price to an extent. 

If you want a quality replacement for your gold bowtie that adds a little more flare to your 2019 Silverado, the Illuminated Black Bowtie could be right for you. If you're looking for a bright centerpiece that stands out with the same intensity as your other lighting, this may not fit your bill. 

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com
      February 18th, 2019

The Daytona 500 is the original great american race. The history, the track, the location, the excitement. Daytona is where NASCAR began and auto racing was changed forever. But this past weekend the 2019 Silverado changed the idea that the "pace car" has to be a car forever too. In 2019 the Silverado was the first truck to ever to pace the Daytona 500. 

Early Sunday morning, right before the big race, we had a chance for a ride in that pace truck around the 2.5 mile tri-oval Daytona track and recorded every second of the experience. Sit back and enjoy!

• By Zane
      Now that owners are taking delivery of the new 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra, I thought a quick reference guide to common routine maintenance items would be beneficial to us all. If you have information that you'd like suggest be added to this topic, just post below and I'll update this first post with any and all new/updated information. 

2019 Chevy Silverado & 2019 GMC Sierra Routine Maintenance Quick Reference Guide
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Owners Manuals
      2019 Chevrolet Silverado: 2019_Chevy_Silverado_Owners_Manual.pdf
      2019 GMC Sierra: 2019_GMC_Sierra_Owners_Manual.pdf

Oil Changes
      2.7L(L3B)
      Capacity: 6.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF66 / 55495105 Drain Plug Size: TBD  
      5.3L(L84) & 6.2L(L87)
      Capacity: 8.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF63E / 19330000 Drain Plug Size: 15MM or XX Torx  
      Engine Air Filters
      With High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3244C / 84121219 Without High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3246C / 84121217  
      Interior Filters
      Passenger Compartment Air Filter: CF185  
      Wiper Blades
      Drivers & Passenger Sides: 55cm / 21.7 Inches - GM Part Number 23417074  
      Spark Plugs
      2.7L L4: 12688094 / 41-106-IP 4.3L V6: 12622441 / 41-114 5.3L V8 & 6.2L V8: 12622441 / 41-114  
      Fuel Tank Sizes
      Standard / Short Box (Gas & 4WD Duramax): 24 Gallons Standard & Short Box (2WD Duramax): 22 Gallons  
      Automatic Transmission Fluid
      6-Speed: DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid 8-Speed: DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid 10-Speed: DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part Number 19352619/Canada 19352620)  
      Transfer Case Fluid
      All Models: 1.6 Quarts DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid  
      Wheel Lug Nut Torque
      All Models: 140 lb-ft / 190 N-m