Chevrolet-branded Performance Brake Upgrade System

VT-Rider

Has anyone bought the $2795 brake upgrade?  Looks like an expensive way to get red calipers!  One dealership said he did not recommend them because, unless you are tracking the truck, you can’t really load them up and they will end up “glazed over” in need of more costly maintenance.  For normal street use, just buying more costly brake jobs.  Anyone have experience with this brake option?

That's the goal? Red Calipers? There's paint for that. Even wraps. 

Experience with THAT kit, no, experience with that type, yes. It 's a truck not a Vette and GM knows that. The intent is more likely meant for towing. Size wont make them glaze and neither will loading but improper break in will. 

Brakes don't stop trucks. Brakes slow wheels/tires. Tire to pavement friction stops trucks...or cars....or bikes or bicycles. Most OEM brakes would lock the wheel motionless if it were not for ABS. If it's still sliding then you haven't enough tire or it has to much pitch/roll under braking. Those that wouldn't lock the wheels are those that could benefit from a larger brake or higher friction pad. 

Several years ago, I found myself regularly pulling a 6'x12' box trailer that did not have its own brakes.  I often thought that I should either upgrade the truck brakes or install trailer brakes.  The cost of doing either was far greater than the associated costs of premature brake wear.  I think you'd either have a lot a cash you don't want or have a unique use for your truck if you choose to spend $3k on a brake upgrade.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VT-Rider said:

Has anyone bought the $2795 brake upgrade?  Looks like an expensive way to get red calipers!  One dealership said he did not recommend them because, unless you are tracking the truck, you can’t really load them up and they will end up “glazed over” in need of more costly maintenance.  For normal street use, just buying more costly brake jobs.  Anyone have experience with this brake option?

Is this related to the new 2019 T1 trucks?

• 1 year later...