Rear window leak

Demon

31 minutes ago, 19TrailBoss said:

So my truck is back at the dealer, as my state (South Carolina) requires I give GM one final repair attempt before I can claim the truck as a lemon. A GM engineer was on-site for the inspection, and low and behold they found a crack in my replacement window, same place it cracked on the original window... My new window should be installed early next week, and I was told it has been improved and reengineered... Sounds like dealership talk for it's the same damn flawed design...

Has anyone heard of there being a new design rear window out there? My first replacement was from August 2019.

For those that may not know my entire store. My original window was resealed per the TSB, then the window was replaced entirely, then the replacement window was resealed, and now I'm looking at another new rear window.

On the bright side, maybe the 2021's will be out by the time I finally get to formally claim my truck is a leaky lemon.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yes the window frame has been updated. It is a much thicker plastic now. 

Wow, 143 pages of leaky windows [emoji50] .... I had the pass-through on my 2015 and have it again on my 2020. I rarely open it unless the grandson is in the back seat. So far with the new one I've driven 30 miles in an extreme down pour and hit it with a high pressure hose and covered the entire window frame and the seem where the spoiler meets the roof. No leaks whatsoever. My build date = 02/20. Hoping I got the updated part and wont ever have a problem. I do have two questions for the group:

1. Does opening and closing the window cause wear that eventually will cause the leakage?

2. Are there instances where there were no leaks when the truck was brand new, but start leaking months down the road?

I certainly will be keeping a keen eye on this for sure!   

I think the defroster turning on when it’s hot out might have something to do with it. If you remote start a lot. I turned mine off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Purchased a 2020 GMC Elevation 10 days ago and just noticed the back passenger window leaking. This is my 2nd time washing it.. first by hand and the second time about 90 minutes ago at the car wash. Came back from my first road trip and needed the extra power to wash off these juicy bugs or else I’d be hand washing it.. When hand drying I noticed the leak. Took a closer look and you can see the fresh water. This gets wilder. You can also see the previous water stains from possibly my first wash or possibly from the rain storm last night here in NEPA that brought 2+ inches of rain and heavy winds. Interesting to see what happens next time it rains. (Hopefully Monday)

My previous vehicle was 2015 GMC Sierra and it’s funny b/c back in March my transmission went. As I was completing a full detail prior to trade in.. I noticed water stains on the passenger side ceiling. Actually, there were layers of different shades of water stains telling me it’s been going on for some time. I did not have A sliding track window on this truck. Couldn’t believe it. Have no clue how long it’s been happening but I spent countless yet stressful hours upon hours wondering how I kept getting moisture in my truck all these years. Now it all makes sense. 

However, this seems to be a problem with GM models. How is this not a recall? I’m definitely calling the dealer next week but mingya, Mingya! Ridiculous.. quite a few trucks on this page with specifically the same location and amount of water. Mine included but this is an expensive price tag.. mhmm seems to be a common trend. Wonder how many others have no clue it’s even happening . Seems like it could be an easy fix but then again, easy fixes have a tendency to turn into worse problems once you start pulling factory pieces apart. 

Edited by DBIII

I have 2020 2500 HD LT with conv 2 pkg and slider window and so far have not had any issue....11/19 build.....perfectly fine and the kicker is I don't even use rear window.....in my Toyota I would shove lumber thru rear window but on GM its too small of an opening....but so far the window is tightly sealed

10 hours ago, 19TrailBoss said:

So my truck is back at the dealer, as my state (South Carolina) requires I give GM one final repair attempt before I can claim the truck as a lemon. A GM engineer was on-site for the inspection, and low and behold they found a crack in my replacement window, same place it cracked on the original window... My new window should be installed early next week, and I was told it has been improved and reengineered... Sounds like dealership talk for it's the same damn flawed design...

Has anyone heard of there being a new design rear window out there? My first replacement was from August 2019.

For those that may not know my entire store. My original window was resealed per the TSB, then the window was replaced entirely, then the replacement window was resealed, and now I'm looking at another new rear window.

On the bright side, maybe the 2021's will be out by the time I finally get to formally claim my truck is a leaky lemon.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

It would be cool if you could post the identifier numbers from the new window they installed that they claim is a new design. Looking for the Brand, Circle-E#, and Model. Ex. FUYAO, E4, 43R-000072

9 hours ago, Pappy58 said:

Wow, 143 pages of leaky windows ? .... I had the pass-through on my 2015 and have it again on my 2020. I rarely open it unless the grandson is in the back seat. So far with the new one I've driven 30 miles in an extreme down pour and hit it with a high pressure hose and covered the entire window frame and the seem where the spoiler meets the roof. No leaks whatsoever. My build date = 02/20. Hoping I got the updated part and wont ever have a problem. I do have two questions for the group:

1. Does opening and closing the window cause wear that eventually will cause the leakage?

2. Are there instances where there were no leaks when the truck was brand new, but start leaking months down the road?

I certainly will be keeping a keen eye on this for sure!   

I've often wondered this as well if opening and closing the window causes these stress cracks.

Yes, in most cases the leaks occur months after purchase.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

I think the defroster turning on when it’s hot out might have something to do with it. If you remote start a lot. I turned mine off.

I don't have an option for rear defrost on remote start. Only the heated seats. 

I have a 2020 Silverado with conv 2...built in 3/20 bought in april...has the fuyao e4 window...been through tons of rainstorms and I’ve check diligently after each one...no signs of leaks or anything...turned off my back defroster setting and haven’t done any high pressure car washes...so far so good! 

The whole defroster thing is just plain silly. As I posted like 75 pages ago, I measured the defroster grid temp on a hot sunny day last summer. After 10-15 mins (a whole cycle), it was running 125-140 degrees F, most areas were in the low to mid 130s. Sounds like a lot until I tell you just the window in the sun, with no defroster on was 120-130 degrees. Really think a 10 degree temperature swing is gonna crack a window frame?

No need to disable features on your truck to avoid a leak. Unless you elect to disable the slider by replacing it with a fixed rear window. That actually works! ?

The whole defroster thing is just plain silly. As I posted like 75 pages ago, I measured the defroster grid temp on a hot sunny day last summer. After 10-15 mins (a whole cycle), it was running 125-140 degrees F, most areas were in the low to mid 130s. Sounds like a lot until I tell you just the window in the sun, with no defroster on was 120-130 degrees. Really think a 10 degree temperature swing is gonna crack a window frame?

No need to disable features on your truck to avoid a leak. Unless you elect to disable the slider by replacing it with a fixed rear window. That actually works! [emoji14]

F150s used to shatter back windows with the defroster. I’m still scared from that one. Plus there’s no need for it to come on in the summer. I’ll keep it disabled [emoji1417]

• Like 1

If it shatters, that’s a different kind of leak and a fast track to a new, improved window anyway. Just saying there is no way that running the defroster on a hot (or cold) day is going to crack the window frame. It does not make sense, it is not possible.

Flex in the body structure is straining a window frame that is under-built for the job. The dope that started this whole defroster conspiracy found that out for himself when he hit a speed bump and broke his own window frame (among other things).

• Haha 1

If it shatters, that’s a different kind of leak and a fast track to a new, improved window anyway. Just saying there is no way that running the defroster on a hot (or cold) day is going to crack the window frame. It does not make sense, it is not possible.

Flex in the body structure is straining a window frame that is under-built for the job. The dope that started this whole defroster conspiracy found that out for himself when he hit a speed bump and broke his own window frame (among other things).

The problem was they would get too hot. In cold weather. Because fords are smarter and don’t turn it on when it’s not cold outside. Ha!

It’s not like it runs all of the time if it’s not needed, and it’s not only temperature based.

Auto Rear Defog

This setting automatically turns the rear defogger on based on temperature and humidity conditions.

Doesn’t really matter though. If it’s a 2019, that window is gonna leak either way. It’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a 100% guaranteed problem. 2020s ain’t looking much better either.