Rear window leak

Demon

My 2019 Trail boss came with custom floor mats that cover all of the carpet. 2 months into owning, I noticed water streaks on the door panels every time I washed it. Took me 6 months of trying to find out why my truck smelled so terrible. Finally I decided to take my floor mats out, and boom, carpet on the front and rear were soaking wet, rust had developed on the metal brackets of my seats and the smell is horrendous. After being blown off several times when I asked someone to look into it, I drove it to the dealership. T has been a disaster. They had my truck for almost a month, and I declined the cleanup work three times. I was trying not to be difficult but the inside of my truck is ruined. Finally I got them to order new carpet and headliner. The seal above the back window/ sliding window was to blame. My truck will never be the same. I have to wipe the mildew off of my seats and door panels at least once a week. The dealership has my truck again, and I had to pitch a fit for them to get me a loaner vehicle. I noticed that now when I open the sliding back window, it has a clicking noise as it slides so now they have to figure out why before they can replace the headliner and carpet. I can only hope that  once they finally get it fixed and the carpet and headliner are replaced that my truck will smell new again and I won’t have any more problems. It has been in the shop more than I have driven it in this first year of ownership with all of the recalls and now the leak and damage from the water. My first new vehicle and I have been nothing but disappointed and disgusted. 

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, Leevon said:

Today I finished up my slider to solid window conversion.  Would I do it again?  Yes.  But cutting the urethane seal to remove the glass is a pain and I'd leave that step to a pro next time to save the aggravation.  I can say confidently that these leaks COULD be fixed by removing the spoiler and sealing the top of the sliding window IF performed with the right products and extra cleaning and care.  Replacing the glass is overkill.  But with a slider you'll always have a cracked window frame, unless the design is eventually fixed and the glass is replaced.   

The TSB is incomplete in my opinion, the products recommended are inadequate and the likelihood that it will be done properly at the dealership is a huge gamble obviously.   If you want to seal the window frame then use a self-leveling urethane or seam sealer type product.  Sealing the spoiler bolt holes is also critical, although I'd argue the majority of leaks are probably the frames not the holes.  No matter who does the work, your headliner will have be molested, paint may be scratched removing the glass and something will probably break (a trim clip etc).  

The solid glass cost me $257 and took a week to get through my dealer parts account.  I spent about $120 on 3M products and specialty tools.  I used 3M urethane primer, 3M window weld and 3M strip caulk.  One tube of window weld (sealer) did the job.  I rolled the strip caulk like play-dough and put it around all of the bolts. Once tightened, it squeezed through all holes and made a nice permanent seal.  After the glass had been in for a couple of hours and the spoiler was replaced and everything buttoned up I put the truck outside just in time for a huge rain storm and it passed the test.  

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

Great job. It looks like how it should have came from the factory. Given the cost of materials and tools. And the complexity of the job. The $470 before tax at Safelite is not a bad deal. For a replacement solid rear window. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well GM did my final repair attempt under lemon law.  They inspected it and said there was no more leak.  Low and behold a week later we have a hard rain for a few hours and it is still leaking.  I reopened my BBB auto line case and an awaiting an arbitration date with GM for them to repurchase the truck.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, Andrew David said:

Well GM did my final repair attempt under lemon law.  They inspected it and said there was no more leak.  Low and behold a week later we have a hard rain for a few hours and it is still leaking.  I reopened my BBB auto line case and an awaiting an arbitration date with GM for them to repurchase the truck.

I'm at 70+ days out of service and GM Customer service is being a pain to deal with. I'm in the process of doing the Lemon Law and they called one day, I missed the call and called back 5 minutes later and no answer. They called back 2 days later and I was busy at work. I called back and left a voicemail, then called back the next day and left 2 more voicemails. At this point I'm just waiting on the original finance company to send me my original contract so I can proceed with state arbitration. 

Sure seems like this issue has been reported a lot less lately. 

Maybe the replacements of the E2 glass and/or window sealant has eradicated the issue.

Or maybe it is just too hot this time of year and we need to wait for winter when everything shrinks/constricts again.

Just had mine replaced this week. It won’t rain here until October so I guess time will tell. I was following this thread closely and it really died off as the virus picked up and the weather got nice. Probably put everyone’s issues in perspective.  Also gm plants were shut down so people likely were waiting for windows like myself. 

I just took mine in for the Brake Module recall. I was notified that the rear window is leaking (it was raining outside during this service call). I was told that the glasswork is under warranty, but a glass shop would come in and do the actual re-sealing of the window. I haven't noticed it leaking, but haven't been look for it either. The truck is washed at an autowash 3-4 times a month. I'm glad it's being replaced, and not quite so surprised due to the activity on this subject. I'm just surprised that the dealership isn't actually doing the work. The Service Advisor did tell me there was a sealant issue at the time the truck was built, so apparently, this is the reason for the leakage.

8 hours ago, riderguy57 said:

I just took mine in for the Brake Module recall. I was notified that the rear window is leaking (it was raining outside during this service call). I was told that the glasswork is under warranty, but a glass shop would come in and do the actual re-sealing of the window. I haven't noticed it leaking, but haven't been look for it either. The truck is washed at an autowash 3-4 times a month. I'm glad it's being replaced, and not quite so surprised due to the activity on this subject. I'm just surprised that the dealership isn't actually doing the work. The Service Advisor did tell me there was a sealant issue at the time the truck was built, so apparently, this is the reason for the leakage.

There’s been no sealant issue. It’s a cracked frame issue. My first window had cracks in two places. After getting my truck back from the dealership body shop for a limb that fell on the hood I noticed a glob of sealant on the rear window. After water testing I now have a leak on my second window.  Hey guys. I’m back with window #2 now leaking

well I'm back with another leak Had glass and head liner replaced April. new glass is fuyao e4 43r-000072. Already talked to a lemon law lawyer back in Feb. GM is slow rolling my claim, but that is OK. I'm taking it in again next for the 4th time to fix the window. It time to talk to the General Manager of the dealership and see what they are going to do.

new owner and new to this topic. is this effecting 2020 as well? any date or glass markings to look for to verify im in the clear? made 6/20 with e9 glass.

Edited by Jsarver

3 hours ago, Jsarver said:

new owner and new to this topic. is this effecting 2020 as well? any date or glass markings to look for to verify im in the clear? made 6/20 with e9 glass.

From everything I've gathered, and anyone is welcome to dispute this, but the more recently produced trucks(2020s made since ~January 2020), with e4 or e9 windows, made in usa(vin starts with a '1' and not a '3') are the safest bets not to leak.

From everything I've gathered, and anyone is welcome to dispute this, but the more recently produced trucks(2020s made since ~January 2020), with e4 or e9 windows, made in usa(vin starts with a '1' and not a '3') are the safest bets not to leak.
That means all Trail Boss trucks will leak. I'm screwed. I haven't found a Trail Boss yet that doesn't start with 3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mine is a 3. We shall see. Soaked mine with a hose for a few minutes and all good so far. 

also not sure how true this is but I had heard all crew cab Silverados were coming from Mexico regardless of virus status. 

Edited by Jsarver