Rear window leak

Demon

A lot of the leaking posts mention urethane sealant on the window frame. Examination of the excess squeezed out on mine which remains leak free for over a year appears to be flexible black silicone rubber.

DSCN0948.JPG.a9f4e37026fbcd5040bb2db571e32e96.JPGDSCN0949.JPG.5a405fe4baf00efaf12823399922e54c.JPG

That sealant is applied at the factory and not part of the “fix” that the dealers are performing for the leak.

3 hours ago, Mogur said:

Is the slider you removed still usable for someone with a concerted effort to put in a truck?  Curious.  Maybe you want to sell it?

If so, can it be made waterproof with more seals,etc, when installing?

I  am interested.

Let me know, msg, PM, whatever.  (I am in SE ID)

YMMV

No sir, it has a plastic frame that is bonded to the glass, it's very thin and cracked in two places (that's the root of the problem).  It's garbage or I would have fixed and re-used.  

Well got my truck back. I’m semi-confident in the seal since they specifically mentioned it was coming from the spoiler and they said the seal didn’t cure last time so they used a better sealant than the tsb recommends. 

But my problem doesn’t end there. Now they have to replace the headliner since it is dropping in one corner and resting on the slider trim. They also cracked the cardboard of the head liner. 

then I come home and find a scratch/slit in my leather seat. Someone must have had something in their back pocket when they moved my truck around. 

caller GM today to start a case. 

66391972-44B5-4F66-819A-FD259027A7A1.jpeg

BE2874FD-11F0-4F2C-BCD3-FDDE0B383550.jpeg

I was a “success” story with my rear window leak issues which I posted in here last April/May. I went in and had the TSB done and they clean my headliner and removed the stains. I picked it up and brought it home. I water tested it immediately and it leaked still. I brought it back and demanded a new rear window. I had already opened a report with GM and was documenting everything. Well the window was replaced by the dealer. When I picked it up I inspected it, no headliner stains, and water tested it when I got home. No leaks!! 

Fast forward to May 2020 my wife was like hey I saw stains on your headliner I thought they got them out? I was like oh no not again!!! What do you know it’s raining here heavy today and there’s two different leaks on my rear window. At what point can GM just take this truck back? I’m fed up. It’s a lease FYI.. 

4B282058-085B-4782-AA24-B23E14EDEB56.jpeg

Edited by Ktapper

Welp not home 45 minutes and it starts raining. Low and behold the leak they fixed is still there. Now it’s in 2 places. And now I have a water spot on the headliner which I never had before. I will be contacting a lemon law attorney tomorrow. 

if I go to trade this truck in on something else I would take such a hit. This is ridiculous. 

726E0D76-2A13-4726-A98F-6691CBAF2A63.jpeg

8113A44D-5B9E-4DE0-9BD6-EDD098306826.jpeg

FD64F1F6-0E97-4793-B432-B0A4A5220CF9.jpeg

Edited by Andrew David

Well got my truck back. I’m semi-confident in the seal since they specifically mentioned it was coming from the spoiler and they said the seal didn’t cure last time so they used a better sealant than the tsb recommends. 

But my problem doesn’t end there. Now they have to replace the headliner since it is dropping in one corner and resting on the slider trim. They also cracked the cardboard of the head liner. 

then I come home and find a scratch/slit in my leather seat. Someone must have had something in their back pocket when they moved my truck around. 

caller GM today to start a case. 
66391972-44B5-4F66-819A-FD259027A7A1.jpeg.324732b372459987a0d6d2e102181cc5.jpeg
BE2874FD-11F0-4F2C-BCD3-FDDE0B383550.jpeg.4028881d3f8003e325d84e60dfab4ac8.jpeg

GM didn’t tell you to kick rocks? They told me “dealers are independently owned but we do hold them to a certain standard so we’ll document this” and that was that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

No sir, it has a plastic frame that is bonded to the glass, it's very thin and cracked in two places (that's the root of the problem).  It's garbage or I would have fixed and re-used.  

Since you’ve seen both slider and solid window off the truck, was there a huge difference in the frame and seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadoPhan, 

The solid window is just plain glass squished onto the body with a thick bead of urethane, like a windshield.   The slider has a thin plastic frame permanently adhered to the glass (see photos).  

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

Edited by Leevon

RadoPhan, 

The solid window is just plain glass squished onto the body with a thick bead of urethane, like a windshield.   The slider has a thin plastic frame permanently adhered to the glass (see photos).  
IMG_2847.jpg.07038b9ce18b768618352012b1fb468f.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg.9b6720fef46fc045392f9940c1516428.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg.cf66dd7870154e52c59905eee8842982.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Makes me feel better now about my solid window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I searched but couldn't find any, but just in case I missed it, is anyone having leaking issues with the solid glass rear windows, or is this isolated to slider rear windows only? 

The issue is with the sliding windows only. Anyone with a solid window that’s leaking, I believe is actually the spoiler. There’s no place for the solid one to leak, unless it’s installed incorrectly.

11 minutes ago, bamorris2 said:

The issue is with the sliding windows only. Anyone with a solid window that’s leaking, I believe is actually the spoiler. There’s no place for the solid one to leak, unless it’s installed incorrectly.

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully the new spoiler bolts are being used now that manufacturing has resumed.

9 minutes ago, Sierra_Kayaker said:

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully the new spoiler bolts are being used now that manufacturing has resumed.

If you are referring to the 2019 models before the slider window frame design was changed then yes it has to do with the window.  But "ALL" Silverados and Sierras of the new body style suffer from the spoiler leakage issue.  That is where my leak is coming from since I have the new style slider window without any cracks in the frame.